(all those IBM ads that would pop up
    in the German WWII section...)
    It could save the Education Dept a fortune
    with subsidised text e-books...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

publishes, or distributes, or broadcasts

But not communicates, right?

It isn't illegal to discuss the election with a friend in person? Or on the phone? Or by email? Or to email a number of friends? Or to DM on twitter? At what point does a message become a broadcast?

What about factual material that might influence voters? Do bookstores have to remove the works of Nicky Hagar and the like?

Also, s.197 doesn't purport to be extra-territorial, right? So if I'm overseas on election day, I can produce a stream of political diatribes without risking prosecution, even on return.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Toby,

On polling day, Jonathan Freedland wrote this nice piece last year: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/06/polling-day-general-election
    And there are some interesting comments amid the muck, too.

In UK, btw, TV and radio are proscribed from political coverage on election day, not so press

pt chev • Since Mar 2011 • 27 posts Report Reply

• Richard Grevers,

Vote early and vote often...

New Plymouth • Since Jul 2011 • 143 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens,

It is a pity that after the return of the writs, the election date is not set for 1095 days hence and a public holiday like Xmas day inked into all our diaries - voting day, a public holiday, where people celebrate democracy and cast a vote.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• tussock, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

The laws forbidding political stuff on election day are why we don't see political stuff on election day. Back in ye olde mother country (ahem, Britain, apologies) in times long past, folk used to rush around town all polling day and buy votes, intimidate the opposition, make all sorts of threats and promises, and the only law keeping it in check was the secret ballot. Which didn't keep it in check at all, even if a lot of people didn't vote for who they were paid to.

If you don't have laws against it, you'll have teams of people screaming at you at the polls about how Labour's all Communists, or National's all Fascists, amongst much uglier alarmist nonsense.

It's not a speculative argument: before such laws existed, that was what happened, all the time. Voting day was very partisan and quite nasty. Hell, in early democracies like revolutionary France it wasn't unknown for opposition agitators to be killed by the government, for treason, all legal like: opposition politicians too, in league with aristocracy and such.

Since Nov 2006 • 611 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Tom Semmens,

Seriously, what's the argument against fixing the election date on (say) the Saturday after the third Friday in November? The only exception being the Government losing confidence or supply, in which case the election is held at a time determined by statute NOT the strategic convenience of the Prime Minister.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

If you don't have laws against it, you'll have teams of people screaming at you at the polls about how Labour's all Communists, or National's all Fascists, amongst much uglier alarmist nonsense.

As they do in all the countries that don't have such laws, or where such laws are forbidden by overarching rights of free speech?

I think you can have rules against the waylaying of voters without going so far as to curtail opt-in media like Twitter.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to tussock,

Tussock:

And in Australia, I can't say I find the sight of voters having to run a gauntlet of party hench-things handing out "how to vote" cards would enhance my sense of democratic gravitas.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Seriously, what’s the argument against fixing the election date on (say) the Saturday after the third Friday in November? The only exception being the Government losing confidence or supply, in which case the election is held at a time determined by statute NOT the strategic convenience of the Prime Minister.

Seems sensible to me. America's fixed voting day works very well in all respects except that it's a Tuesday, which is basically a slap in the face of the working poor. A public holiday and/or weekend day works much better.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg, in reply to tussock,

I seriously doubt that, but it's a popular argument. There is a wide gap between not allowing the situation you describe and having laws effectively banning particular blog/Facebook comments.

ETA: yeah, and what Rich said too...

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• kiwicmc, in reply to Paul Campbell,

NSW Electoral Commission in Sydney (which is taking NZ ex-pat postal votes) has a lovely view over Sydney harbour...

Auckland, New Zealand • Since May 2008 • 88 posts Report Reply

• Keir Leslie,

Realistically, isn't the Electoral Commission’s advice aimed at parties, candidates, and the news media? Obviously the law is the law for everyone, but the tenor seems to be aimed at political parties and the like.

Since Jul 2008 • 1452 posts Report Reply

• Kim,

My wife has seen this this documentary about child poverty in NZ and said it should be essential viewing for every New Zealander. It is apparently very well made and presented in such a way that it is apolitical in so far as both major parties have a lot to answer for in the way we look after (or not) our most vunerable. Get your tissues out and prepare to be disgusted/disappointed/upset. Let's hope those in postions of influence take some notice. It is time this country woke up!

Auckland • Since Nov 2011 • 1 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Keir Leslie,

Realistically, isn’t the Electoral Commission’s advice aimed at parties, candidates, and the news media?

Yes.

Indeed, the media release is titled "Media Activity on Election Day".

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Mikaere Curtis, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Seriously, what's the argument against fixing the election date on (say) the Saturday after the third Friday in November?

Something to do with turkeys never voting for an early Xmas. I quite like the date you chose, it means Thanksgiving is the very next Thursday, and those of us with Americano whanau can give thanks that the election campaign is well and truly over :)

Tamaki Makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 528 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Seriously, what's the argument against fixing the election date on (say) the Saturday after the third Friday in November?

In the other country I vote in it's the second Sunday of September. Recently they've changed it to every four years instead of every three.

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• Hans Versluys, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

"Do any other countries have laws like this?"
    I remember at election time in Belgium the party propaganda (mostly leaflets) were ankle deep around you in the polling booths everywhere. There was nothing solemn about the day (in the 1970s at least). They're still bickering about a Goverment formation 18 months after the balot boxes closed.

Auckland • Since Jul 2011 • 33 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

What's the deal with politically-related stories? Say the Ambrose decision comes down on Friday afternoon, can the papers print stories about it in their Saturday editions?

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Matthew Poole,

What’s the deal with politically-related stories? Say the Ambrose decision comes down on Friday afternoon, can the papers print stories about it in their Saturday editions?

Interesting question! But it'll be coming down tomorrow.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Matthew Poole,

Yes; because although it's a political story it is about politicians not politics. Though I would expect some wimpishness on the part of editors if the outcome is contentious. If I were a polly and the decision was not what I wanted, an appeal of some sort would be immediately on the news wire. The story would be lawyered to the max though, (which usually makes it unreadable).

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Hebe,

There's a story flying around the wires that National plans to release the recording (which they don't have) at 9am on Friday to thwart the two saturday morning papers.

It doesn't make any sense and seems to come from a bogus Twitter account.

OTOH, I wouldn't be too surprised to see everything published offshore before Friday.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Tony Siu,

There are rules here? Oh.

Auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 82 posts Report Reply

• Kyhwana,

Don't be a dick is all nice and well, but the EC still hasn't replied to my email about what you can/can't do..

Can you retweet someone's tweets on election day? Who gets in trouble if you do?
    Can you link to a blog? What about a comment? etcetc.

Hamilton • Since Jul 2011 • 14 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Russell Brown,

Makes no sense: newspapers and other media outlets cannot legally publish that story Saturday, and they will not.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.