Capture by A photoblog

Read Post

Capture: Walk across the rooftops.

79 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Hebe, in reply to James Butler,

Mine have a lot of large earth-moving machinery parked next to the Mark 1 Zephyr.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to JacksonP,

Umm, yeah. They’re his photos. ;-)

Great to hear that Murray's pix may get on line, I know he's been scanning furiously over the past few years (on Bryan Staff's scanner) and it would be excellent to see images from both of them get to a wider audience.
    If Murray doesn't start his own site, a coupla guest blogs here would be a fabulous start to long overdue exposure...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __,

Seems to me that what we can do here that’s a bit special is have conversations about stuff using pictures. We already have FB for recent family-and-friends pictures, and there are plenty of places out there that have contests of photographic skill…but here we have a community that loves to share enthusiasms and anecdotes, and now we can do that with words and pictures, how awesome is that?!

And Ian and Carol’s collaboration…that sort of clever playfulness is a key part of PAS.

Just my 2c.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Jackie Clark,

closely followed by lots of helicopters

and pelicans
    <shudder>

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Up on the roof...
    Drifters aside, I'm thinking the Blue Nile could provide many more Capture blog headings, I can think of several that would be perfect for a Murray Cammick Gallery...
    Headlights on the Parade
    Automobile noise
    Saturday Night
    Soul Boy
    ;- )

• Kyle Matthews,

I forget which one of my camera manuals cautions that the user should be careful to keep a firm grip of lenses when changing them as if dropped they could break, and the broken glass could be hazardous. Srsly!

I'm not normally one to bitch about the silly warnings that come with products these days.

But I purchased a bottle of dog shampoo several years ago for my smelly mutts, and prominently on the back it claims "NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS". Which is of course a lie, it's just tested post-consumer purchase.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Lilith __,

and now we can do that with words and pictures, how awesome is that?!

Way awesome.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Blue Nile could provide many more Capture blog headings

All I can say to all those who have come early to Capture, please stay late.

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to JacksonP,

Capture is firming up to be one of those I-really-shouldn't-but-I-can't-resist pleasures. It combines many of my quiet obsessions.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• slarty, in reply to Lilith __,

I recall swimming somewhere on the North Shore and getting pink toilet paper (remember that?) in my fingers... ahh the good 'ol days when nobody drank to excess, there was no crime and our environment was truly clean and green.

Since Nov 2006 • 290 posts Report Reply

• slarty, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Sofie, would that be the Amerigo Vespucci? Can't see well enough to count the masts!

Since Nov 2006 • 290 posts Report Reply

• Jonathan Ganley,

Attachment

It occurs to me that at some point inviting everyone to delve into their parents' photo albums and scan and post some here would be fun and rewarding

Here's one frame digitally 'captured' from an 8mm movie shot by my Dad, before a family wedding in 1956. He was standing on the corner of Symonds St and Alex Evans St. Kodachrome colour is pretty resilient.

Since Dec 2006 • 234 posts Report Reply

• Jonathan Ganley,

Attachment

Looking down Symonds St from the same spot. Rangitoto just visible above the trees. This stretch of road is where the motorway overbridge is now. There is an archway visible that must have been another entrance to Grafton cemetery. I had prevously noticed this now vanished archway in Gary Baigent's 1967 book of Auckland photographs The Unseen City.

Since Dec 2006 • 234 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Hebe,

Attachment

It combines many of my quiet obsessions.

Ditto. Step. Away. From. The. Keyboard.

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Russell Brown,

parents’ photo albums

My father took great photos but most of them were at the nudist club ...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Bart Janssen,

Apropos of anything you care to choose, I understand this feature is also available on ‘other’ PA blogs. ;-)

• Damian Christie, in reply to JacksonP,

Screw yer photos, Blue Nile? I think I just found some musicks I haven't heard before and very much like. Thanks.

Awesome work on the photo blog btw. As someone who has struggled over the years uploading lots of pics to PA using awkward html that never quite works properly the first time and the links are always broken and uploaded photos don't appear and the perspective gets stretched because it has to be a certain width and I can't do the required maths in my head... it's nice that it's so much easier these days.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1164 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Damian Christie,

it's nice that it's so much easier these days

Yes, the new photoblog functionality is available to you too as an option. Jackson will explain the details :-)

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Damian Christie,

Blue Nile? I think I just found some musicks I haven't heard before and very much like. Thanks.

Wow! A Walk Across the Rooftops is my all time favourite nostalgia music, hence using it in the title.

Jackson will explain the details :-)

Heh! I'm not claiming to be an expert on this new setup, although in the process of getting this going I've done just about everything there is to be done... wrongly. So I can help in that respect.

Drop me an email Damian if you run into any problems.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Jonathan Ganley,

Kodachrome colour is pretty resilient.

Thanks for those, very nice.
    The late great Kodachrome can be about as close as it gets to time travel (click on image for hi-res 1949).

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Joe Wylie,

PS...*

Kodachrome

* no not Paul Simon...
    lotsa groovy old colour here
    at How to be a Retronaut

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Kodachrome

* no not Paul Simon...

Well they finally took our Kodachrome away.
    A muthalode of historical examples here, some breathtakingly gorgeous. There must be some great NZ examples waiting to be literally brought to light.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams, in reply to JacksonP,

Oh thank you so much, I remember this very fondly from school dances.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP,

Attachment

Hoping we haven’t put anyone off random photo posts. Themes be damned, just keep ‘em coming.

This ’car’ was on Waiheke Island, near Rocky Bay, circa 1989. Scanned from a slide. Always thought it would look cool in cibachrome, but waited too long to do it.

Great links by the way Joe.

• Islander, in reply to Russell Brown,

I scanned the family photo albums some years back, with my mother making comments/identifying people & places…some of them date back to the 1870s…
    and sent dvd/cd copies to all relevant whanau.

I think that is the sticking point: most of my family stuff is just that (tho’ a pictorial historian could have a field day with costumes/feasts/changed nature of localities…)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.