Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: A modest appeal

62 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Lilith __, in reply to Islander,

*putakitakiatama = like a child blowing a war trumpet
    *putakitakiatoa =like a warrior blowing a war trumpet

thanks for the explanation, that is exactly what they sound like. :-)

Here in quack city we also have loads of scaup now we have enough native scrub along the riverbanks for them to breed in. It seemed to be as simple as that – once they had the habitat, there they were, going for it. Their babies are super cute too, round like rubber ducks but black and fluffy. I remember trying to feed bread to scaup families about 10 years ago and they didn’t quite seem to see the point of it, but they’re mostly quite urbanised and streetwise ducks now. :-)

The stretch of the Opawaho/Heathcote I live near sometimes has shovellers at low tide. Such gaudy birds! And they really do shovel, too, striding through the mud sweeping their huge bills from side to side through the shallows.

ETA: I remember visiting Zealandia in Wellington, about 7 or 8 years ago when it was still the Karori Sanctuary, and the guide told us proudly that they had two scaup! I was pleased for them and tried not to snort audibly. :-)

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Stripeys and family in Avonside a couple of months back.

Great pics, Joe!

pictures of streamlined Buck Rogers-style cars and planes, and a large depiction of a boxer fighting a tiger. Wished I’d had a camera.

One of my recurring nightmares is of seeing something amazing and not having a camera with me! Or if I do have it, it doesn’t work. :-)

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Carol Stewart, in reply to Islander,

may I note my sadness at the not-unexpected death of Hitchins?

Nice appreciation here from his friend Ian McEwan.

This is rather good too - Hitchens takes on Nietzche, and wins, I think.

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 830 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

The Taramakau dredge! Once camped overnight on a scrap of land nearby and oh, it was a restless night. Such fiendish grinding and wrenching.

Photos in barns: must dig out a great photo taken inside an abandoned and huge American barn down the hill from my brother's home in Mendocino CA. Painted in bold white letters: We Are Watching You!

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

. . . my brother’s home in Mendocino CA.

Mendocino!
    You blow your mind in the mornin' . . .

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Paul Campbell,

Mendicino .... a nice foggy little tourist town, most known for its large number of fictional murders ... and the pot grown inland

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

.... and the migrating whales offshore, the wonderful wild flowers on the clifftops and the curious old watertowers...and the lovely song by Kate & Anne McGarrigle

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Paul Campbell,

and the murders, why does she write about the murders ... if I lived there I'd have had her chased out of town years ago ..... the place would be so much safer

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Carol Stewart,

Carol, many thanks for those links - which led on to other links which led to 2 rich hours of reading...

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Hi all. Just to say that readers have collectively chipped in nearly $3000. I'm stoked. Thanks everyone.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP,

There, hopefully that tips you over the 3k threshold. Thanks Russell. It's great to be part of this.

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Roger Lacey,

Bit late to the party but I guess it doesn't matter. Hope you get enough to bring your plans to fruition. Shout out if you need more, I'm sure everyone here will be happy to chip in a bit more if needed.

Whatakataka Bay Surf Club… • Since Apr 2008 • 148 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.