Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Nobody wanted #EQNZ for Christmas

693 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 18 19 20 21 22 28 Newer→ Last

• Hebe,

Went to see when a city council fails today. What struck me was that the people in the crowd were so reasonable: they were asking for an election, not a guillotine. Unfortunately the messages from the speakers were a bit fragmented and unfocused, but that's like our city. Then when the last speaker wound up, the crowd immediately turned and ambled off in a quiet, Christchurch sort of fashion, while a few went to the council offices to present a letter. Many more of us strolled through the Botanic Gardens, past the herbaceous border while the weather turned.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

The Press version of that story has comments.

This might be as good a place as any to note that our household will be migrating to the People's Republic of Christchurch in about 3 months. Who knows what local government will look like then...

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Stephen Judd,

This might be as good a place as any to note that our household will be migrating to the People’s Republic of Christchurch in about 3 months. Who knows what local government will look like then…

I still have the original T-shirt. :)

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking, in reply to Hebe,

It is incredible they have cut through Parkers PR. He could have had a Knighthood, & a Speaking Tour, a Book, the Movie, & he still might those last two, just not the ending it could have been.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking, in reply to Joe Wylie,

I don't want to see Gary Moore back as Mayor. Nice guy, I like him alot. He is part of the problem setting up the Council owned businesses, and lossing touch with "The People".

• Islander, in reply to Just thinking,

Just thinking - I dont see *anyone* out there as a new mayor: certainly not a reincarnated Sideshow, nor Jim Anderton, nor Moore. So, who? Can Dalzeill
    step across the barrier from national into localbody politics as well?

I rather think you are absolutely right - Parker's careerline was going to be
    the (snicker/shudder) knighthood/book crap et al - shit show of it happening now OR - if it does, people will just roll round laughing at him- and, goodoh!

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __,

I’m sorry to read that Jim Anderton’s not interested. I think he’d be just what we need! He's got nothing to prove, and I think he'd be dedicated to helping everybody get through.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __,

If it's not OT to talk about earthquakes ;-) I was looking at the figures here on the Chch Quake Map, specifically the numbers of quakes-per-day in the drop-down menu (next to "all days"). When I see that on the bad days we've had 200-odd (or more) shakes, I feel less crazy for being a bit crazy. And so many other days we've had 50-100.

Looks like the record still goes to the 6/09/10 with 324 !

It's fascinating to compare with the Japanese and Turkish quakes. Can it really be true that Turkey's only had 100-odd quakes in total since their 7.1 in October?? And although the Japanese quakes have been very large in magnitude, and the tsunamis so horrifically damaging, they've only had 1700 shakes since the 11/03/11?

Perhaps this is what the geologists mean when they talk about our "particularly rich aftershock sequence"!

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Just thinking,

Attachment

Here's organisers Peter Lynch and Mike Coleman at today's event.
    More pics here.

I don’t want to see Gary Moore back as Mayor.

Me neither, though he answered his emails. I know cos I tried him once. Parker threatened protest organiser Peter Lynch with legal action just for emailing him.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Rob Stowell, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Me neither, though he answered his emails.

Nor me, not the inspirational figure we'd all like to see. But Moore was a decent fellow. I watched a few times him do his 'Friday in the square' thing- where he was just available to talk to anyone who showed up, and did. Sometimes no-one there, and he'd stare at the seagulls. Or a slightly loopy person would turn up, and he'd listen, far more patiently than I could have managed.

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Rob Stowell,

And there was the kid who took advantage of Moore's parish pumping to actually kick him over the Council's closing of the Edgeware swimming pool.

• Rob Stowell,

Politicians are improved by a little childish kicking :)

Politicians are improved by a little childish kicking :)

In later life perhaps, and so tempting when one thinks of Parker.
    I'm reminded though of a story from a journalist who covered the NSW Parliament in Macquarie St in Sydney, who took a guest along to the press gallery to watch proceedings. Rather than being impressed, his friend noted that the honourable members had one thing in common, they all looked as if they'd been kicked a lot at school.

• Rob Stowell,

They're called 'whips' for a reason, eh? Sort of sad, I guess. Nick Smith sometimes has that 'I was bullied at boys' school' look.

NSW’s probably an unfair example, because of the lingering influence of the penal colony. Occasionally you notice the legacy in small things, like the requirement for the penalty for such things as failing to keep a fire door closed to be publicly displayed. Number of lashes received to be determined at the Governor’s pleasure, etc.

• Hebe, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Here's organisers Peter Lynch and Mike Coleman at today's event.
    More pics here.

I was struck by the politeness and just-get-on-with-it sort of people at the protest today; so many middle-aged and old and prosperous types. It was the sort of people who get rates bills (and pay them on time).

I also saw Vicki Buck, and other keeping-a-low-profile notables. Would she do as mayor? She would certainly have the unifying feel-good factor that is sorely needed.

• Hebe, in reply to Lilith __,

If it's not OT to talk about earthquakes

Nope; it's not.

• Islander, in reply to Hebe,

Vicki Buck?
    Know almost nothing about her.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Lilith __,

Perhaps this is what the geologists mean when they talk about our "particularly rich aftershock sequence"!

Compared to, say, the 1989 Newcastle quake, the figures are remarkable. A deadly event that would have been much worse but for certain fortuitous circumstances (the hour it occurred, a bus strike), in a city the size of Christchurch, yet with one single aftershock. And probably as a consequence, no restrictions on what areas could be built on.

• Lilith __, in reply to Islander,

Vicki Buck?

Vicki Buck was mayor for 9 years, and she was fantastic. I’m sure we’d have her back in an instant if she wanted to stand. She was offered a Damehood and turned it down because she thinks such things are elitist. She was instrumental in setting up the Discovery and Unlimited schools, among other things.

• Islander, in reply to Lilith __,

Ooo, sounds very good!
    I especially like she refused what is, quintessentially, an English 'honour'.
    (Boringbit: am patron of the Republican Movement.)
    I would certainly urge my many CHCH family ratepayers to vote for her if she wished to stand again-

• Lilith __, in reply to Joe Wylie,

the 1989 Newcastle quake

Thanks for the reminder. Surprisingly damaging for a 5.6! VIII on the Modified Mercalli scale!! And so far from a faultline?

• Islander, in reply to Lilith __,

So close to a mine... (and, yes, I did read the expert comments...)

• Just thinking,

It has to be someone new outside of Council. Mike Coleman or Peter Beck (Pesky Preists), Megan Wood (Good Chick er Sydham MP) maybe someone unknown.

• Just thinking,

Newcastle guys came over and campaiged for open access to the City Centre, as their fenched off city died due to cordons.
    It didn't get through.
    No-ones mentioned Roger Sutton for Mayor. He's harder to find these days than Waldo ever was.

First ←Older Page 1 18 19 20 21 22 28 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.