Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Lilith __,

Attachment

:-) you guys rock.

Rock you say?

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Lilith __,

Attachment

Just for you Lilith. I couldn’t find any soft toys to arrange anywhere in a humorous manner, so I got down Dad’s old racing helmet (from when he raced cars). It’s a bit battered around, as you can see. Mainly because in 1958 or thereabouts, he had a major crash at Bathurst, and almost died. Which might not sound terribly funny, and it’s not. The physical stuff healed, mostly, except for his “three tummy buttons” (he was sliced down the middle and everafter that’s what he called his long scar.) Anyway, I wanted to put it on for you, because I look funny, but also because it’s a stark reminder that sometimes, just sometimes, miracles happen. I send you hugs and hope that that photo is a bit of a pick me up, after the last day or so.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Oh Jackie, thank you so much, you look so cute! Your Dad was obviously quite the survivor. And staunchness obviously runs in the family.

You people are all so lovely. Big hugs.

I've just made slightly munted samosas and am now going to attempt a nap.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Joe Wylie,

The bottom of the barrel of the Flintstones/Jetsons franchise. Died after one crappily-drawn season, sparing the world from possible further knock-offs such as The French Letters

Ye of little faith. Have you ever looked at the list of Hanna Barbera series? Many many more one-season not-wonders followed, one or two with historical themes.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Graeme Edgeler,

Jeez Graeme, I worked on that thinly drawn knock-off of The Waltons. I also counted five titles I’ve whored myself out on in your Wikipedia link. Not something I’m proud of, but one likes to eat. The other pilot farmed out to Hanna-B’s Australian studio in that distant Summer was Hong Kong Phooey which, in keeping with Joseph Barbera’s dog fetish, starred a dog, and unlike These Are the Days got picked up by the networks.

For lovers of such trivia, Hanna-Barbera used the same fake cut & paste animation department credit list for all of their pilots back then. That was a response to union pressure which ensured that productions using offshore labour weren’t eligible for Emmy awards, and an Emmy was a big selling point for Saturday morning cartoon fare back then.

The Australian-made one-off special Last of the Curlews scored an Emmy in 1972, despite the characters looking as if they were made of concrete à la Charlotte’s Web. ‘Ecology’ was all the go then, and the theme of father & son meatheads who decide not to shoot an endangered bird was a shoo-in. None of the animation personnel listed in that link had any involvement with its production. Eventually they sent an Emmy statuette to grace the front office in Artarmon, only it was one awarded in 1959 for Huckleberry Hound.

With union dues of over $US1000 per annum the Southern California Cartoonists’ Local was a lucrative closed shop. Members worked for around the six months of the average production season, and received welfare, based on a proportion of their lucrative piecework rates, during the remainder of the year. The quality of their work had sunk to the level evident in the Roman Holidays intro. Australians spoke English and were comparatively keen and hungry. That’s why Bill Hanna travelled there to case the joint for talent, and why he repeated the process later in the 70s in the Philippines.

You can’t trust IMDB credit listings, especially for early 70s US Saturday Morning junk.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Rob Stowell,

Hey Joe :)
    Did you have anything to do with the animated The Magic Pudding? Love that- though now our old vhs tape has now gone west, I'll have to look out for a dvd.

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Rob Stowell,

Attachment

Did storyboards and layouts - see storyboard page. Animation was high-quality Korean. I feel the film was let down by a wretched script - sticking to Norman Lindsay's original could have saved it, without all that nonsense about finding parents. Directed by Robbert Smit - Footrot Flats, the notorious dancing cossacks etc, An appalling excuse for a human being, and I know it's Xmas. For all its faults, Footrot is a credit to Murray Ball's refusal to be overwhelmed by production concerns. The early designs for Pudding were literally breathtaking, before Smit infected things with his godawful brand of twee.

• Rob Stowell,

Cool!
    Yeah, it didn’t translate the anarchic (and nonsensical in the best sense) flavour of the book. But the voices and animation are good, and the characters work. And some good songs :)
    Footrot looked good too. Too many features are ruined by producer/director insistance that the story has to be big Big BIG and the third reel climax AMAZING. When small, everyday, well-observed can be so powerful (and Murray Ball does small brilliantly).
    (sorry, this does appear to be on the wrong thread. but cross-threading is quilter's life, eh)

I remember when things came to near open rebellion on the Pudding, where someone was saying 'Why do we have song and dance sequences simply because it's some kind of stilted convention?' The original idea of the cut-and-come-again Puddin' was like the golden goose - as a Puddin' owner you'd never starve, in fact you could become immensely wealthy. It was about power, and the fickle nature of Albert the Pudding put the moral onus on the Puddin' owner.

So instead of vapid song and dance numbers we could have had the trial of the Puddin' thieves from Lindsay's original, where the judge suddenly declares his lust to be a Puddin' owner, and everyone chases the elusive Albert around the courtroom, including the walls and ceiling, because as Max Fleischer said, if it can happen in real life, it's not worth animating.

Instead we got a script from someone whose next gig was McCloud's Daughters.
    Happy xmas y'all.

• Rob Stowell,

Ae. Sounds bloody unhappy.
    Still, it was a special favourite of my son Oscar, and I’ve enjoyed watching it with him- especially The Puddin Owners Song

In fact, he wants to watch it now :) Thanks youtube (and Joe!)
    And merry Christmas!

Thanks Rob, that's far and away the best part of the film, and the only song therein that doesn't make Always Look on the Bright Side of Life sound like the music of the spheres. That sequence was very much one person's baby, and if he'd had his way the film would have been Lindsay's illustrations with the breath of life. Funnily enough he appears to be among those who opted to have their name left off the credits. A Philippines animation crew pulling out all the stops to prove themselves, but they still sent the bulk work to Korea.

Anyway, it's almost time to grab the lantern and step out to the cowshed to see the oxen on their knees, so Happy Hanukkah.

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Jeez Graeme, I worked on that thinly drawn knock-off of The Waltons. I also counted five titles I’ve whored myself out on in your Wikipedia link. Not something I’m proud of, but one likes to eat.

It was out of love, Dude. Hanna Barbera won seven Oscars. They put These are the Days out of DVD, and I'll buy it :-)

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Attachment

Point Chevalier beach on Christmas Day.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Attachment

Point Chevalier beach, looking towards the Waitakeres, same day.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Russell Brown,

Did you go for a swim? I drove backwards and forwards from Kumeu to Mt Eden a few times today, and noticed that the tide was WAY out.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP,

Ok, I know it's sad, but today, while sitting under the Pohutukawa trees along the coast from Russell's photo above, I'd like to be able to upload from my phone.

Guess I could do this.

• Jonathan Ganley,

Attachment

It's not a Real Kiwi Christmas without a chainsaw, bro.

Since Dec 2006 • 234 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Jonathan Ganley,

It's not a Real Kiwi Christmas without a chainsaw, bro.

You cut me up.

Badoom-ish!

• Geoff Lealand,

Blokes with chainsaws. They make me nervous, especially around our neighbourhood.

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

Jonathon, that is not a chainsaw

It's an axe.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Jonathan Ganley,

that'll keep those developers in line

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 55 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.