Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: One man’s Meat Puppets is another man’s Poison

965 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 9 10 11 12 13 39 Newer→ Last

• Chris Waugh,

I dunno, maybe some of you will be geoblocked for coming from IP addresses in IPR-respecting countries.... But if Youku will let you see this, I think Song Zuying's 《爱我中华》 (I love China) is a pretty good example of sonic torture. I had to hit pause before the music started to avoid developing the urge to tip concentrated sulfuric acid into my ears, or my mother in law deciding to sing along.

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 2401 posts Report Reply

• Joe Mahoney, in reply to Russell Brown,

Ah yes. Tool.

What the hell is that bollocks about?

I'm buggered if I can understand why Tool are so well loved by NZers. I put them in the same bucket as Muse, Foo Fighters, and Ben Harper.

Since Apr 2007 • 12 posts Report Reply

• Simon Grigg, in reply to Joe Mahoney,

Foo Fighters

Drummers should never be allowed to form bands (unless they're Art Blakey or Charlie Watts).

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report Reply

• philipmatthews,

It's possible to love Nirvana and hate Foo Fighters -- in much the same way as you can like the Beatles and hate (as we should) Wings.

On Tool: I have a sneaking admiration. They're like the Radiohead of metal: enigmatic, too-serious, po-faced, but experimental.

Another, recent guilty pleasure: Fleetwood Mac, 1975-77.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2007 • 656 posts Report Reply

• philipmatthews,

Also: wish I was seeing these guys.

• Sacha, in reply to Chris Waugh,

or my mother in law deciding to sing along

heh

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to philipmatthews,

It's possible to love Nirvana and hate Foo Fighters -- in much the same way as you can like the Beatles and hate (as we should) Wings.

Ah, the band The Beatles could have been...

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• Chris Waugh, in reply to philipmatthews,

They’re like the Radiohead of metal

Constantly whining?

I liked (edited because I caught myself making the same mistake with tense I'm always on at my students about. Gah!) Radiohead back in The Day - as in, when I was also a whiny teenager. Then in Tianjin I had constant arguments with a colleague who was into... ummm... that even whinier Radiohead copycat... Oh joy! I've even forgotten their name! I decided to have another listen to Radiohead for old time's sake, never again will that long whinge pollute any CD player, computer, or other device capable of playing music of mine.

• James Butler, in reply to philipmatthews,

Not to mention Uncle Tupelo and Wilco, respectively.

• Simon Grigg, in reply to philipmatthews,

in much the same way as you can like the Beatles and hate (as we should) Wings.

Hate Mull of freaking Kintyre all you want - and Silly Love Songs, and a huge number of other shitty bits but vast portions of the McCartney solo years have been pretty darn fine too.

If you've not had the pleasure of Driving Rain as a solo album you should. Or Ram.

• James Butler, in reply to Chris Waugh,

You see I loved, and still do, the Two Good Radiohead Albums. The first rule of being pretentious is to have the chops to back it up; and the first rule of whining is to whine with intelligence and wit. Radiohead, much like The Smiths, had both of these rules totally down during their golden years.

• Hebe,

I shall open up another front by declaring a quiet love for Van Morrison, especially this:

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Danielle, in reply to philipmatthews,

hate (as we should) Wings

Viscerally: NUH-uh. I present for your consideration, one single from Band on the Run: 'Jet' backed with 'Let Me Roll It'. I mean, c'mon. Nor in my estimation is there anything guilty about liking 1975-77 Mac. 'TUSK!'

I don't even know what to say about hating the Beach Boys (apart from Mike Love, obviously. #fuckMikeLove).

That first Foo Fighters album wasn't bad, you know. That was when he still wrote, like, melodies. After that you're on your own.

My problem: I like ALL THE THINGS!

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Chris Waugh, in reply to James Butler,

The first rule of being pretentious is to have the chops to back it up

Absolutely. That's why I now loathe Pearl Jam.

And it would've been fairer to say that Radiohead worked for me at a stage in my life that happened to coincide with them being good. But that takes the fun out of discussions like this.

• philipmatthews,

Van Morrison, for me, is in the "I've tried to like it but just can't" category (which is where I also put Animal Collective: I've tried and tried ...). I'd like to like Van at least so I can read the Greil Marcus book on him.

• James Butler, in reply to Chris Waugh,

And it would've been fairer to say that Radiohead worked for me at a stage in my life that happened to coincide with them being good. But that takes the fun out of discussions like this.

Oh totes. But THAT'S WHAT ART IS. So ignoring the coincidence of time, space, experience and emotion with art is ignoring something central to the whole deal.

• Hebe, in reply to philipmatthews,

Van Morrison, for me, is in the "I've tried to like it but just can't" category (which is where I also put Animal Collective: I've tried and tried ...). I'd like to like Van at least so I can read the Greil Marcus book on him.

You just have to be a lot Irish for Van. I feel him in me bones and cell structure; it's not a matter of trying to like him..

• Simon Grigg, in reply to philipmatthews,

I wish I'd written Gloria.

He's a grumpy, rather unpleasant soul from all accounts but if he'd never recorded another note it would be enough.

• Scott Chris, in reply to Chris Waugh,

Absolutely. That’s why I now loathe Pearl Jam.

Hmm, I went the other way. Vedder’s vocal style annoyed me a bit ’till the day I heard this song and the scales fell from my ears: (apologies for the mental image)

Auckland • Since Feb 2012 • 167 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Hebe,

I shall open up another front by declaring a quiet love for Van Morrison, especially this:

Why be quiet about it?

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Scott Chris, in reply to JacksonP,

Why be quiet about it?

God it must be me. Van the Man who desperately wants to be black. Like fingernails on a whiteboard.

Sorry, I'm not trolling, I just have exquisitely bad taste in music. I rate ABBA for starters. Seriously.

Auckland • Since Feb 2012 • 167 posts Report Reply

#fuckMikeLove

"Ultimately, I think the Beach Boys meant so much to so many people because of the positivity - and that was me!" - Mike Love

Van Morrison

I was never that great a fan, but was recently reminded that he kicked everyone's arse at the Last Waltz:

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

Who doesn't rate ABBA? Colour me nonplussed.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Hebe,

Into the Mystic is beautiful. and this

I didn't at all like the Moondance album when it came out, then I spent a summer out of the UK about 10 years later, in the South Island countryside, and I got it. The magic has never left.

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Hebe,

I don't think good music should be anything but. I'm not ever sure why people think they have to try to like something. It's so visceral, our response to music, like all art. And Van, is the man.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 9 10 11 12 13 39 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.