Read Post

Hard News: One man’s Meat Puppets is another man’s Poison

965 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 39 Newer→ Last

• Tim Michie,

Auckward • Since Nov 2006 • 614 posts Report Reply

• Ana Simkiss, in reply to Dovil,

God totally I HATE novelty songs.
    Novelty covers particularly get my goat. The latest awfulness that seems to be everywhere is a reggae cover of all of Nirvana's Nevermind. The awful unecessariness of this makes me run screaming out of shops and restaurants.

Freemans Bay • Since Nov 2006 • 141 posts Report Reply

• Phil Sargent,

I spent six months working on a floor where Country FM was played. This was on the playlist for the whole time .

Since Nov 2006 • 28 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Any music can turn to torture with sufficient thrashing just as drops of water in the Chinese Water Torture are reputed to feel like the blows of a sledgehammer eventually.

I used to like the soundtrack from The Big Chill until they played it non-stop for 3 weeks when I was working a McDonalds front counter. Now the first bars of I Heard It Through The Grapevine cause a physical reaction, my hackles raise and a find myself snarling.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Shaun Lott,

On the subject of 'Phantom', it seems worth to quote the final lines from Roger Waters' 'It's a miracle.

That is awesome.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Shaun Lott,

Shaun, leave out the usual Public Address square brackets and the link turns into an embedded clip automagically.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Hebe,

Pizza Express Chriswick, all of 1987. And no, you can't have extra fucking pepperoni.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

Reggae.

Sorry, but I just can’t stand it.

At the risk of alienating 90% of the PAS community, ME TOO. But I think some of my antipathy comes from growing up in Wellington in the 90s.

That said, I'm rather fond of the moments in various Bad Brains albums when the barrage of shredding and screeching suddenly halts, and out of the silence comes something like this:

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• Gareth Davidson, in reply to Sacha,

Yep. If ever there was a band that could plagiarise themselves - mashup of two (okay, it's a loose definition of "two") Nickleback songs panned L & R:

WARNING: NSFLTIWTLIL (NSF listening to if will to live is low):

http://musicforants.com/assets/vs/How%20You%20Remind%20Me%20Of%20Someday.mp3

Sydney • Since Mar 2007 • 59 posts Report Reply

• Hebe,

The all-time winner on my loathsome list

• Jackie Clark,

If you wanted information out of me, and I absolutely would not give it to you, no matter what you tried (I'm incredibly good at keeping secrets so torture probably wouldn't work on me), your last resort would have to be country music. I cannot, and will not, abide it.
    There's plenty of music I can't stand, but C&W is the only genre where I hate ALL the songs, ALL the time.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Peter Darlington, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

Reggae.

Sorry, but I just can’t stand it. And no, I won’t be linking ;-)

Dude, that's just hurtful.

Nelson • Since Nov 2006 • 949 posts Report Reply

• Gareth Davidson, in reply to Ana Simkiss,

He he, reminds me of driving down Blenheim Rd in Ch-Ch many years ago, listening to RDU when they played no fewer than seven different versions of SLTS back-to-back, including Tori Amos, the Gregorian Monks and The Moog Cookbook:

Sydney • Since Mar 2007 • 59 posts Report Reply

• Andrew Stevenson,

Tracy Chapman, Fast Car in particular, is so depressing it makes me want to slit wrists - and I like Leonard (gloom in a room) Cohen (and Mazzy Star and Elysian Fields...)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 206 posts Report Reply

• Hebe,

Finally, the one who scarred me for life. On many Sunday mornings when I was a teenager my father would put Patrick O'Hagan on the rekkid player at full blast to get me out of bed.

• Ana Simkiss, in reply to Hebe,

I too was tortured as a young person by my Dad's intolerable musical taste. In his case, avant-garde, up its own arse jazz. Loud, on Sunday morning.

The Horror.

Freemans Bay • Since Nov 2006 • 141 posts Report Reply

• Sharon McIver,

"I worked in a restaurant and we had ONE Otmar Lieber CD and we played it over and over and ..."

Had the same thing with Vaya Con Dios..unitl one Sunday afternoon when one of the Restaurant managers and I agreed it had to go so we did a mexican hat dance on it and hid the remains way at the bottom of the rubbish.. had to endure various waitresses looking for the thing for the next couple of weeks... never got replaced though thank god...

chch • Since Aug 2009 • 6 posts Report Reply

• James Butler,

As for my top musical torture, I nominate anything by Sky. This one in particular gives me nightmares:

EDIT: On reflection, deleted the "almost" before "anything".

• Will de Cleene,

Anything by Kenny effing G.

Raumati • Since Jul 2011 • 107 posts Report Reply

• Ross McA.,

I challenge anyone to go the distance with this hellish excuse for a song.

Since Mar 2010 • 51 posts Report Reply

• Peter Darlington,

My partner loves that Nico album but we've agreed that it should probably never go on in my presence. Velvet Underground & Nico? Sweet as. Nico on her own? Yeh nah, no thanks.

She also loved Bob Dylan but I've managed to convince her that he's an appalling old charlatan who should never be given air space.

I also have a bone to pick with anything that takes it itself remotely seriously. From the appalling Creed through to the faux serious cred of that Tool and NiN crap.

Lloyd Webber is another obvious candidate but, finally, I'm going to throw in all that atonal post-rock super hipster rubbish. You're neither big nor clever, get over yourselves.

Ah, that feels better.

Nelson • Since Nov 2006 • 949 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to James Butler,

I have my headphones on, and am rocking away quite nicely. Never heard of Sky - thanks!

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Never heard of Sky - thanks!

Oh god oh god what have I done

• James Butler,

Also Roger Whittaker, a man so square he couldn't bring himself to sing "don't" for "doesn't" when covering Streets Of London:

• Martin Lindberg,

Reggae

You're banned.

Dude, that's just hurtful.

I'll admit that my dislike of reggae hails back to my younger and more intolerant days. These days I actually like some of the older and more raw sounds from Jamaica.

However, UB40 will always make me want to drill out my ears.

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 39 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.