Muse by Craig Ranapia

Read Post

Muse: What The Frig, Police?

50 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

• Pete,

"Le sigh... In future, I'm going to be increasingly inclined to be unsympathetic when people bitch about acts giving Auckland a swerve."

Please don't say that, Craig. This Wellingtonian goes up to AK often for gigs - you guys still get the most shows and I really like Auckland.
    If they start avoiding Auckland then they may well avoid the whole country..

If bands don't tour Auckland then we're off to Aussie to see some shows and that would be a pisser - I love the way that the whole Queen St/Vulcan lane area is so alive these days with good food and bars. I remember the empty concrete canyons that downtown used to be.

Could the whole Police anti vibe be due more to the old lyrics
    "That's the sound of the police
    Officer,officer
    Overseer,overseer.."

They weren't too keen on BodyCount's gig due to the"copkiller" track for similar reasons, if memory serves

Since Apr 2008 • 106 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to 3410,

You know, before they built the Cloud, maybe they should have said, “Oh, by the way, hip hop fans won’t have to chip in for the cost of this place, since you guys won’t be allowed to use it”.

It’s actually turning out to be a hard venue for anyone to use for a gig. There are toilets, but no tills or bar facilities – they have to be brought in every time, and a special liquor licence has to be obtained first. Then there’s a 10.30pm curfew and the certainty of noise control complaints, because it doesn’t have walls so much as a membrane.

It’s been used a handful of times as a daytime conference venue since the RWC, but mostly it takes up space.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Meanwhile, a nice little story on Stuff about yesterday's Auckland Museum lecture.

• Rich of Observationz,

It’s actually turning out to be a hard venue for anyone to use for a gig

Explain to me again why the government is best suited to run bars and the private sector to run prisons and schools?

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• joshua grigg,

After managing and working in bars in the CBD for the last few years I would say that many of the most troublesome and violent nights are those when "a certain group within society" goes out to watch rugby and avail themselves of the "many licensed outlets in CBD" afterwards, often causing "problems for the community."

Auckland • Since Apr 2011 • 3 posts Report Reply

• BlairMacca,

"type of event – rap draws on a certain group within society which cause problems for the community as a whole"

Wow, I didn't realise we were still living in the 1980's/90's

Wellington • Since Apr 2007 • 208 posts Report Reply

Wow, I didn't realise we were still living in the 1980's/90's

Well, now you know. :)

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Russell Brown,

It’s actually turning out to be a hard venue for anyone to use for a gig.

Almost as hard as getting a job on Operation Cycle -path, or actually working on a wharf, or a Meat Works for that matter, or looking after Old People

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Pete,

I love the way that the whole Queen St/Vulcan lane area is so alive these days with good food and bars. I remember the empty concrete canyons that downtown used to be.

I've spent part of the weekend hosting Australian visitors who noticed that too - and remarked on the way our different cultures respected one another. Kept them away from this news about our Police still being stuck in the past. Wish I'd been at the museum for that talk.

I agree with Joshua that the rugby match meathead association with trouble is certainly far stronger. Let's see cops profile men with scarves.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Pete,

Officer,officer
    Overseer,overseer..

Heard that again recently. Still brilliant..

• Russell Brown,

I now have some more of the bizarre correspondence between Inspector Davison and the promoters.

An email in which the promoter addresses the lateness question:

Now when he said the lateness of application…I was shocked as we submitted a while ago, then sat with council saying yes approved at compliance meeting with the Venue staff, my Security team, my bar manager and my business partners. The council apparently said it got lost for a week….

And a response from Davison to Greer Flynn, who was involved with the show:

Good morning Greer.

As I indicated in my telephone conversation with you this morning.

Police will not alter their stance in regards to your liquor licence application.

Had the Police been involved with your event from the outset, then this matter would have been better addressed.

I can say here and now, it would still be most unlikely that Police would have agreed to the granting of a special licence even had we been at that meeting given the nature/location of the event.

We are – or should be – long past the time when police and petty officials get to tell us what culture we’re allowed. Or are we resigned to a future where facilities constructed and run with OUR money can only be used subject to a musical sniff test from a policeman?

Or are we resigned to a future where facilities constructed and run with OUR money can only be used subject to a musical sniff test from a policeman?

Surely it would save everyone a lot of time and effort if Inspector Davison would just publish a complete list of the unacceptable music types now.
    :)

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Dave Patrick, in reply to 3410,

Surely it would save everyone a lot of time and effort if Inspector Davison would just publish a complete list of the unacceptable music types now.

"Everything except the Feelers"

Rangiora, Te Wai Pounamu • Since Nov 2006 • 261 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

Like the UK's statutory ban on 'repetitive beats'?

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Dave Patrick,

“Everything except the Feelers”

Who, of course, headlined the only other entertainment event to be held at The Cloud since the RWC – the New Zealand Beer Festival.

As this blog notes, the 2011 NZBF in Auckland “was chockful of bogans setting out to get munted.” This didn’t appear to be a barrier to a licence in 2012 – and happily, the 2012 festival seems to have gone quite smoothly.

On the other hand:

The Marlborough Wine Festival provided a stark contrast. Here’s the bare facts:
    - 42 people were arrested
    - 9 people treated for cuts from bottles and glasses
    - 5 people were taken to hospital for treatment
    - 9 people were treated for over-consumption of alcohol
    I have received a photo of one lady’s injuries sustained from a bottling, but, due to its graphic nature, I didn’t want to post it here.

Middle-aged white folks – they’re trouble.

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Pete,

Please don’t say that, Craig.

On reflection, I really shouldn't have. I've had off the record communications from folks who've said they had perfectly amiable relations with both the Police and Councils (and constructive engagement when problems do arise) -- so my snark isn't really just to folks who don't actually think a live music scene and street life is a "social problem".

But quite seriously, if I was a promoter thinking about bringing a hip-hop act to New Zealand I'd be running a serious cost-benefit analysis on any future dealings with Inspector Davison. Which, I guess, suits him fine. I'm not so sure.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

But quite seriously, if I was a promoter thinking about bringing a hip-hop act to New Zealand I’d be running a serious cost-benefit analysis on any future dealings with Inspector Davison. Which, I guess, suits him fine. I’m not so sure.

Fortunately, it's only going to be an issue where a special licence is required. But yeah -- I don't think I'd be staking my livelihood on a show at The Cloud after this.

The irony of course is that Davison caused the show to be moved to a less safe/suitable venue in a known trouble spot.

• spaceburglar,

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10785180
    Organisers were forced to close the bar early at an 80s-themed concert at one of Auckland's top wineries because revellers reliving their youth were "staggering around" drunk. One punter described it as chaos. "There wasn't real trouble ... [but] the place was filled with people in their 40s and 50s staggering around and trying to relive their youth. It wasn't pretty. When they closed the bar, it was like a braying mob, angry that they couldn't get another drink. It looked like it was going to get nasty, but fortunately it seemed to calm down without any serious problems."

Auckland • Since Apr 2012 • 1 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to spaceburglar,

fortunately it seemed to calm down without any serious problems

elderly fatigue can come in handy

• peter mclennan, in reply to Russell Brown,

The Scorpio/247 hiphop venues referred to were in that same building - 420 and The Rising Sun. Both haven't been in use as hiphop venues for a long time, at least a year or two.

AK Central • Since Nov 2006 • 159 posts Report Reply

• peter mclennan, in reply to Russell Brown,

so, The Cloud was built with nearly $10m of public money, will be there for at least ten years (according to Michael Barnett), and is only good for conferences and private events? Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

AK Central • Since Nov 2006 • 159 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

15 minutes of video from Saturday night. Lotta people having a GOOD time:

• Matthew Littlewood, in reply to Russell Brown,

We are – or should be – long past the time when police and petty officials get to tell us what culture we’re allowed. Or are we resigned to a future where facilities constructed and run with OUR money can only be used subject to a musical sniff test from a policeman?

The more I read about the decision, the more I think it stinks, frankly. Davison's response seems massively counterproductive and prejudicial. On a happier note, that's some really enjoyable footage, Russell.: bloody fantastic support lineup, almost be worth it for catching those acts, to say nothing of the headliner.

I really should drag out my copy of By All Means Necessary. A bloody striking record, not least because it seems to be an honest attempt to address the issue of violence in rap from both sides of the coin, and find the right sonic backdrop to match it.

Today, Tomorrow, Timaru • Since Jan 2007 • 449 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

Furthermore, did the police not bat an eyelid when even more controversial musicians like Marilyn Manson were in town?

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Kumara Republic,

that One Direction attracts unruly crowds

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.