Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Where do you get yours? (Food Edition)

143 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Islander,

O, ANOTHER OAMARUVIAN THING-
    Simplifoods for excellent fresh hard-to-find organic & other goodies-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Pete, in reply to TracyMac,

Yeah Coffee Supreme is good too - I only buy my beans at the shop as my coffee ingestion level is much larger than puny cups will allow.

The Hill St Market is ok and representative of its ilk but a bit thin - put it this way, my folks go there .. worth a look if you're in the area but I wouldn't make a special trip
    The original Porirua Saturday market 6-9am was cool though I haven't been there in yonks - got the best organic bacon there once.

I've snorkeled for some big paua either side of the marine reserve in Island Bay but I gather that that is outside the remit of this post??Either way there's plenty of venison running around the Teherenikau Valley at the moment though they've 1080'd the Rimutakas I hear

Oh yeah shout out to Masterton - there's a Moore Wilson's out there too - cool.

Samuel- will check out Cancan bakery, cheers

Since Apr 2008 • 106 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Chris Waugh,

Chris, I am pretty sure that what you describe is available in many South Island Chinese shops – have to wait for definities(sore teeth and a chest infection make me poorly tonight)) – will get a family member to check in Dn apopo-
    we could all make a very good and different and engaging and deeply pleasurably and trans-cultcural/trans…cooking? loving foods? viewpoints?- hari-kooki-puka eh?

• Jackie Clark,

I just want to add one thing to the conversation, thus far. Apples. I love apples. But I haven't bought any good ones lately, that taste any good or haven't been stored for ages in a coolstore. And not being near an orchard of origin is a bummer. So imagine my delight when in the New World, Mt Roskill, there appeared these beauties called Ambrosia. They are crisp, and sweet, and delightful. Like apples used to taste. On further investigation, it seems that the suppliers only sell them to New World. I wish I knew where they came from.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Islander,

Dental pedantry...

even edentious people...

At the risk of appearing tendentious
    the path to dentures is edentulous...
    :- )

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Hebe,

I would like to find out about smoking cheese – and mussels – some time …

Any excuse to link this

That's part 2 of the episode where he brines and hot smokes salmon using a cardboard box smoker.

This is the scrap iron chef episode where he builds a cold smoker and makes bacon

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Chris Waugh, in reply to Islander,

Thanks, Islander.

These teeth and chest don't sound good. I hope you feel better soon.

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 2401 posts Report Reply

• Ewan Morris,

Here is lovely Lower Hutt (yes, I hear you sniggering at the back there, but don't knock it till you've tried it), we have Zany Zeus with their new outlet store down the road in Moera (delicious cheeses [smoked and otherwise], yoghurts [again, smoked and otherwise - who knew there was such a thing as smoked yoghurt?], ice creams and more) and the Taste of Europe bakery in the other direction on Waiwhetu Road in Fairfield (fabulous German-style breads and pastries) - plus a Moore Wilsons a bit further away, and that's without even starting on Petone....

Since Nov 2006 • 48 posts Report Reply

• Kate,

Another vote for Khyber Spice - great range, great smells and friendly. I go to the Westmere butcher like many others and they're excellent, but also Grey Lynn Butchers in the Surrey Cres shops are great - know their stuff, go out of their way to be helpful, very friendly, yummy sausages! And I've heard that there is going to be a decent bakery opening in the Surrey Cres shops in the next couple of months or so which would be fantastic.

Grey Lynn • Since Nov 2011 • 2 posts Report Reply

• Venetia King, in reply to Pete,

The Hill St Market is ok and representative of its ilk but a bit thin ... worth a look if you're in the area

I live in the area and visit the Hill Street Farmers' Market most Saturdays. It's quite little as markets go and not always that well attended so I'm never sure how much longer it's going to last, but I do like it. Mainly for the wonderful food from Michael's Kitchen. We get most of the different kinds of things he makes - preserves, soup, sauces, curds, hummus, the occasional caponata, and now hot gourmet pies. He does proper japonica jelly like my mum used to, and a friend of mine once described his raspberry jam as "like crack!!". Which I'm assuming means deliciously addictive :)

Tonight's dinner is from the market - Lovat Venison - great quality meat and a lot easier than hunting for us city types! I think they sell from the Harbourside market by Te Papa on Sundays as well.

The Hill Street market also has a Harrington's stand with excellent ethically-farmed meat products (and hot bacon/egg butties & sausages in buns - they do those at the Harbourside market too, without the butchery products) - and several fruit & veg growers, mostly organic, as well as a few other bits and pieces like olive oils and only-in-season fruit stalls. Oh and a coffee caravan, but I don't drink coffee so can't report on that. I like how different fundraising stalls pop up from time to time, especially when they're selling home baked goodies. The whole thing has a nice focus on community.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 117 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Thanks Ian!
    It's a measure of how I was feeling that I thought 'Ugh, that looks wrong, cant be bothered checking a dictionary.'
    Always check the dictionary is right up there with Always blow on the pie...

• Sj,

I must be off to make our own dinner, tinned soup and noodles.

I am impressed with people cooking market food. Our local markets are only open on Sunday morning, and they are the length of a long beach away.

The only steady thing I can tell you about what I eat is: veg (Mon); fish (Tue); mince (Wed), chicken (Thur) and pizza (Fri).

Finally, if anyone can tell me how to change my profile photo (I've grown a bit since this shot) I would be most grateful.

Belmont • Since May 2012 • 17 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Kate,

Another vote for Khyber Spice - great range, great smells and friendly.

Another good place I try andy ride to where possible. Lovely folks, excellent range. Should really have mentioned them in the original post.

Also: Subh, a couple of doors down, has made-that-day vegetable (mostly) curries that are half the prize and twice the size of a conventional takeaway dish, all boxed up. They have the same yummy samosas as Khyber Spice does, because they make them. Yum.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sj,

... if anyone can tell me how to change my profile photo...

If you go here and sign in (like most things you only do every few years, hope you can remember your password) you should be presented with the Manage Gravatars options. Changing your pic should then be pretty straightforward. Hope this helps, though your present pic is pretty cute IHMO.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Chris Waugh,

Now one fear has been soothed, and in a Muttonbirdy kind of way, just remember Dominion Road.

Chris, also on Dom Rd is Tai Ping. Asian supermarket. Worth a look. I like that it has product translation for the likes of me. Also the Market in Mt albert Shopping precinct seems popular . I don't use it because soo much is closer for me, but it's a crowded place. They say that is the tip for the restaurants too. Crowd = good.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

Subh

am a convert. real taste and great prices

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sj, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Thank you Joe, I will try that forthwith.

As to the present, baby photo..., I now think there may be something oddly intimate and inappropriate about a baby photo. Nothing to do with you of course, just a personal peculiarity. Plus it took me a long time to grow into my head; I should celebrate the fact at every opportunity.

• Sj,

It didn't work. I'm still a big-headed baby...

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Sj,

Loggerheads?

It didn't work. I'm still a big-headed baby...

Possibly you may need to log out of PA and log back in again to update - just a thought, I'd imagine there'd be some kinda cache thing going on to save on data traffic - worth a crack.

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Chris Waugh, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Thanks for the tips, Sofie. If I don't actually remember the details when it comes time to make our move, I'll certainly remember where to look and who to ask.

Tai Ping

Interesting name. I assume in Chinese characters it's 太平, which is one of several words meaning 'peace'. Or perhaps the combination of the cold my daughter gave me for my birthday, today's heat and humidity, and the approaching thunder storm (now that me and the wee one are safely back home, I really hope it hits us square on and is followed by a nice dry nor'wester, but somehow timed to not soak my wife on her ride home) are getting to my head, because my next thought is '太平天国/Tàipíng Tiānguó', the kingdom that almost toppled the Qing in the mid 19th century, led by a nutter whose time with missionaries wound up with him believing he was the younger brother of Jesus Christ.... that kingdom was neither as peaceful or as heavenly as the name proclaimed. But the Dom Rd Tai Ping is probably just a supermarket.

Yes, I do have a huge stack of essays and test papers that needed to be marked...

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 2401 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Chris Waugh,

.... that kingdom was neither as peaceful or as heavenly as the name proclaimed.

Understatement. With around 20 million mainly civilians dead, probably the deadliest conflict ever within a single country.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Che Tibby, in reply to Pete,

I've snorkeled for some big paua either side of the marine reserve in Island Bay but I gather that that is outside the remit of this post

they have some pretty good yellowfoot paua over that way too. tasty those little blighters.

while i'm here i should make the periennial shout-out for fielding's best, waiora lamb, available at riverside and waitangi park markets. good. daaaamn good.

the back of an envelope • Since Nov 2006 • 2042 posts Report Reply

• Simon Pound, in reply to bronwyn,

May I second the Bulk Food Savings - amazing selection and prices. Also, Mt Eden Fisheries on Dominion Rd opposite the Glengarry's, just around the corner is a stealth good fish store. It looks like it might be pretty average, but is always super fresh -I worked at a fish and chip shop for years and got to know a little what a really good fresh fillet looked like. One day I walked past and the window got me. Been going for years now and there are a bunch of disciples that all swear by it.
    If buying veges I like to shoot out on the Northwestern to the fruit shop beside Blossoms cafe on the corner of the riverhead coatesville highway. The ten minutes from the Chev with the new motorway means that in a perverse way it is handier to me now than Parklands. They've got the good milk, like at Green Bay too. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

MFAK • Since Nov 2006 • 20 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Simon Pound,

They do lovely fish and chips too, Simon, Far nicer than the people in Mt Eden Village.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Ross McA.,

We occasionally buy a $25 organic chicken. They taste so good! We (three) can get two meals out of it, a roast and then risotto made with chicken stock. Banfeilds of Beckenham have Westwoods chooks, also at the Deans Bush market Westwood sell direct and you can get frozen seconds cheaper.
    Love to get Vic's bread, the ciabatta, either from the bakery in Ferrymead or Taste at Twenty in Cashmere. Dip it in fresh local olive oil- nice and cheap if you happen to have an olive connection. There's a wicked baker at the Opawa market, I think it might be Bellbird, croissants and sourdough.
    Opawa market is a good place for veges too. Otherwise Liberty or Piko or if it's too much driving Countdown is the closest.
    Coffee beans: Switch- Brighton Up.

Since Mar 2010 • 51 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.