Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Where do you get yours? (Food Edition)

143 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Kate Hannah, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Yes GI is pretty fantastic - food and opshops of the best kind - making for it being one of my fave places to wander. I got 5 Poole cups, assorted colours & two side plates for $12 in the Sally Army Shop.

Auckland • Since Mar 2010 • 107 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Fresh fish from the fish wholesaler in Wordsworth St in Sydenham (can't remember the name sorry). Good Greek takeaways from "Its All Greek to Me" in Sydenham.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Samuel Scott,

Wgtn - People's Coffee in Newtown is the only stuff I buy - drinking Columbian right now.

My trick at the moment is to get a peoples coffee and take it down to Cancan Bakery which recently opened in that crummy mall across from Newtown school. They have the most authentically french pastries I have had in NZ. I suspect they use imported french butter but they won't tell.

South Wellington • Since Feb 2008 • 315 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Upshot in Heathcote is my fave coffee. They now have a container shop with seats outside beside a paddock full of horses in Bridle Path Road. It's fair Trade and mine is organic Harrar/ Yirgacheffe mix, ground to between espresso and plunger.

Apples: BHU organic every time.

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Hebe,

Good Greek takeaways from “Its All Greek to Me” in Sydenham.

...and the wonderful Moroccan restaurant Casbah (used to be at the start of Chancery Arcade opposite the Library) has reopened at 303 Colombo street by Sydenham park...

... and don't forget The Bodhi Tree now located at 397 -399 Ilam Road in the vowel-less suburb of Bryndwr (which is just the Welsh way of saying Burnside really, yet they are separate suburbs - sadly our visionless forefathers forgot to include a good Cajun suburb like ByBayou. Oh, and Fendalton has nothing to do with swamps - Honest!)

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

Meat

Aussie Butcher Frost Rd Mt Roskill
    The butchers are nice and will cut what you want, the meat is good and most times they don't do that annoying fold the bad bit under trick.
    Farro's Mt Wellington for NZ Wagyu beef, we've been getting skirt steak it is great.
    Both places stock freedom farms pork, rolled loin or shoulder for maximum crackling

veges
    Fruit world right next door to the Aussie butcher in Frost Rd. They are almost perfect but they still chill their tomatoes, a sin that has a special circle in hell. For those that didn't know chilling tomatoes kills the enzymes that produce tomato flavour but doesn't stop the enzymes that degrade tomato flavour.

supermarket
    Mt Roskill New World

bread
    Eiffel on Eden. Sorry I'm not a lover of sourdough and my partner hates it. I personally feel the sourdough hides a lot of sins in breadmaking that the bakers at Eiffel avoid. New French place on Dominion Rd look interesting though.

stuff
    For those things you didn't know you needed.
    Sabato small shopping bag, big price, but the flavours ... smoked paprika mmm
    Farro's is a close second
    Nosh Mt Eden is a lap behind those two for me, I find Nosh persistently over-expensive and they just don't have the range.

Fish
    Nada, zip nothing. Everywhere we've tried has at one time or another sold us old fish. The fish market downtown is good but a pain to get to and fish for me is the kind of thing I want to get just before I cook.

wine
    Just a note, we get a lot of our wine mail order from vineyards we've visited. But New World Mt Roskill has a good selection and it will get better if people buy good wine there. New World seems to allow each shop to have their own wine stock.
    Caro's is the place for interesting bottles though.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

good Cajun suburb like ByBayou

What a good name for South Brighton.

Casbah: three months doing a backwoods loop around Morocco gave me a lifelong aversion to tumeric. Smoked paprika num num: I get it from the Indian wholesaler just down from the Casbah on the opposite side of the road just over the Milton St corner in Colombo. Love that place for the spices, nuts, lentils rice etc (bulk and bagged) and other Indian things. They also have real halvah in several flavours.

I love food; and cooking (mostly). I will stop posting and go shopping now.

• Helen Phare, in reply to Bart Janssen,

Mt Roskill Aussie Butcher, Fruit World and New World are all great.

My local supermarket, Mangere Bridge Supervalue, has fantastic acid-free tomatoes - those big pale red ones that taste of tomato - much cheaper than I've seen anywhere else, they are always available and haven't been chilled. I think they might be grown locally.

Grey Lynn Butcher has wonderful lamb, free range dry-cured bacon, free range pork sausages, rabbit, wallaby and venison.

The Onehunga fish shop sells pretty good filleted fish, and the Mangere Bridge fish shop sometimes has good looking whole snapper.

Mangere Bridge • Since Nov 2006 • 2 posts Report Reply

• Simon C, in reply to Raffe Smith,

Lastly, very recently opened is Hopscotch Beer Co in Eden Tce, who have a dozen different craft beers on tap to fill your flagons from. $10/L for NZ, $15/L for imports. Yum, and amazing value.

Thanks for the tip - just went up there and grabbed a couple of litres for the weekend.

Auckland • Since Aug 2008 • 10 posts Report Reply

• Shona Sangster,

I LOVE the Avondale markets (insert shameless plug here: http://fuckyeahavondalemarkets.tumblr.com) and the Mt Roskill New World is very good, stocking a lot of the fancy Sabato bits and pieces, though at the same price. You get what you pay for I guess....I've certainly learned my lesson when it comes to cheap anchovies! The Stoddard Rd shops also deserve a shout out for their spicy goodness, and I fully rate Mohammed's Halal Meats on Richardson Rd. Their whole chickens still have their necks on, for only $6.99. Not free range but oh my god what a bargain.

Since Apr 2010 • 5 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Simon C,

Thanks for the tip – just went up there and grabbed a couple of litres for the weekend.

Nice folk, aren't they?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• TracyMac, in reply to Pete,

I've not had good luck with People's Coffee at the various places around town I've tried it, although not in Newtown. I luurve Coffee Supreme - got hooked while I worked at Vic - especially the Boxer Blend. Havana is always reliable.

The fresh veggie market on the corner of Vivian and Willis St is still going strong. The Asian grocery down the road in Hopper St has a pretty good range. Any reports on how good the Hill St market in Thorndon is?

Canberra, West Island • Since Nov 2006 • 701 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

Oh for Mexican ingredients Mexican specialties
    cnr Marua rd and celtic cres. Lots of chilli sauces and tomatillos (those are the green fruit that form the base of so many great mexican dishes)

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Helga,

Can't see anyone speaking up for Sandringham here!
    I go to Khyber Spice for cheap milk, great yoghurt, spices, sometimes vegetables and curry leaves - grape leaves and rice - samosas. People come from all over Auckland for their huge range of dates (during Ramadan), halva, and sheep and goat cheese in blocks in the cabinet. And hey, the folks speak and play the radio in Hindi and I love it!

I've started going to the halal butcher next to Shubh in Sandringham Rd - which everybody loves for really good cheap takeaway curries sold canteen style with no waiting. The butcher seems really reasonably priced and the meat so far excellent. Goat stew, anyone?

And the village is easy walking distance and the shops open long hours which makes me love living nearby.

New Zealand • Since May 2012 • 18 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Bart Janssen,

FishNada, zip nothing. Everywhere we’ve tried has at one time or another sold us old fish.

Mt Roskill shops(cnr Dominion and Mt Albert rd) takeaways (the one near Westpac) sell wet fish and they sell a lot. They close about 7 but open early and they sell mussels in there too. Their fish has always been stunning and Wednesday's was no exception. $27.99 kilo for tarakihi. $38 someit for snapper. Whole or fillet. I reckon, give it a try.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Simon Grigg, in reply to Helga,

I go to Khyber Spice for cheap milk, great yoghurt, spices, sometimes vegetables and curry leaves - grape leaves and rice - samosas.

That's place with the amazing olives too, right? I'll speak up for Sandringham - that block of shops is incredible. Although I note the big stacks of pirate DVDs have disappeared...

As have, across the road in the Punjab Muslim fast food joint (is that Shubh?), all the images on the back wall. I used to love seeing John Key and Helen Clark next to Gandhi, Muhammad Ali Jinnah and, yes, Osama Bin Laden.

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Simon Grigg,

That’s place with the amazing olives too, right?

Been a bit wanting lately. You can no longer select olives. They come in $6 containers now, but they still have all the cheeses and the mixed pickles and relishes etc. and macadamia nuts and dried apricots and cashews an', an', an', an' every curry and spices an' yeah I noticed Osama too { :).Great food in Sandringham(stan)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Simon Grigg,

As have, across the road in the Punjab Muslim fast food joint (is that Shubh?), all the images on the back wall. I used to love seeing John Key and Helen Clark next to Gandhi, Muhammad Ali Jinnah and, yes, Osama Bin Laden.

At the local Noodle Canteen outlet on Courtenay Place, the photo of the founder posing with John Key has mysteriously vanished, and replaced with a No Smoking sign.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Kate Doherty,

Supermarket: new world mt roskill. Good range, good wine, friendly staff, plenty of room to move.

Fish: delivered on a Thursday by Something Fishy (fresh and smoked, love their smoked salmon) http://www.somethingfishy.net.nz .

Fruit and veg: parklands, by the Balmoral Warehouse. Great quality.

Bread: la voie francaise on Dom Rd has the best baguettes, sensibly priced too. In fact anything from there is good. Coffee and a croissant for 5 bucks is a good way to start the day. Wild Wheat for bagels.

The Persian Network on Dominion Rd (Balmoral shops) is good for feta cheese, fresh dates, flatbreads and spices that can be harder to find elsewhere (like dried limes, sumac).

Since May 2012 • 2 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

South…far south…but not quite Deeep South-
    Waimate – free-range capons (pretty difficult to source normally.)
    -Havoc free-range pork
    -home of the farms that make the potatoes for Heartlands potato chips
    Oamaru- Whitestone cheeses (who also have a good range of Havoc’s processed
    products &(I am told) including very good chorizo.) Whitestone cheeses have an enourmous range of their own products, but you can also pick up Mt. Peel products. Clearwater yoghurt everywhere in Oamaru & further south – we know a bloody good thing when we taste it. (By Whitestone cheese, I mean the factory store in Orwell Street.)
    -some of the best potatoes in the world are grown in Oamaru.Pays to
    visit the Chinese vege markets for them (and a lot of other things – only place I ever been able to buy Chinese artichokes!) just south of town, and other roadside stalls (and just-off road sellers) for cherries, hazelnuts & walnuts. DO NOT BUY FROM RANDOM SELLERS ON Oamaru town footpaths (the produce generally comes from Auckland/other areas, are seconds and waay is over-priced (and frequently being flogged off by people on a temporary visa who have no licence to sell.))

Do however, go the the Sunday Farmers’ market in Oamaru – you can get really good fresh Moeraki blue cod/sole & other fish there, plus many many other goodies.

You havent got your own coffee machine while travelling? Try “Short Black” and “Bean on Thames.”

My family south provide excellent fruit, vege, & eggs (not to mention really good bush venison…) -for us. Cheers!

I’ll do Deep South later (includes: Dunedin! Bluff!)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Richard Llewellyn,

From Mt Albert way..

For the time-poor, Muzza's Pies, best pies in Auckland

Cosset for coffee

Seamart for fresh fish

New world in Mt Roskill for groceries

Farro for the dinner party shop

Name escapes me, but a great little middle eastern deli on new north road that makes their own stuff on site

Mt Albert • Since Nov 2006 • 399 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Islander,

Clearwater yoghurt everywhere in Oamaru & further south – we know a bloody good thing when we taste it.

Just discovered that the tandoori butterflied chicken at Farro uses a marinade made with Clearwater yoghurt. Gotta love that.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Islander,

Our southern correspondent!

• Islander, in reply to Russell Brown,

Our southern correspondent!

Happy to be!
    Foodie from way way back, and southern by whakapapa - & since I was conceived! And been trolling around southern areas as a hungry appreciative *aware*mouth & brain for over 55 years-

there's also the inland areas, where I dont go much BUT! I have a foodie s-i-l
    who may be willing to take up the slack...

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• bronwyn,

Oh, Avondale market for almost everything (and thanks for the link to your blog Shona!). There are some great stalls, and almost every herb you'll ever want, mostly for $1. The quality overall is usually good, mostly because almost everything is pretty fresh. I really feel for those of you that live too far away from it to go regularly, it's really one of my favourite places in Auckland. Saying that, do try not to go between the peak time of 9 and 11am when it is super busy. Although it officially finishes at noon, you're usually pretty OK until about 1.30pm.

My top stalls there are:
    - the tofu makers, usually in the third aisle in about 15 metres from one end. Slabs of fresh tofu (both firm and soft) for $1.50, plus tofu jelly, fried tofu, pressed tofu etc. They are also super helpful if you ask. There are usually two other tofu stalls but this one is by far the best.
    - the stall on the corner as you come down the main entrance from the carpark. In summer they sell the best strawbs, bunches tied together with twine rather than being squashed into a plastic box. At the moment they have delicious malabar spinach and usually have piles of various "Asian" greens.
    - the Thai food stall place just along from the above stall - a range of chillis and kaffir lime leaves amongst others.
    - the stall on the corner just along from the above who sell massive packets of curry leaves for $1, plus long beans, and tasty eggplants of various descriptions. Plus they are on Facebook!

The fish stall is also pretty good - their smoked fish is cheap and tasty - and Pukeko Bakery are also regularly there now.

Apart from the markets, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Bulk Food Savings, just off Dominion Road- lots of dried goods, delicious dried fruits I don't see many other places, and a small but well chosen range of Asian and Middle Eastern ingredients, alongside a good range of organic goods. Like all the stuff you can buy at Nosh or Farro but cheaper. And they are also really helpful - the last time I was there I watched with amazement at their patience dealing with two teenagers who were obviously doing some sort of home ec assignment and spent about 20 mins saying "Where's the baking powder?" "Are these sultanas or raisins?" "Can I use spelt flour instead of normal flour" etc. etc. It's worth driving across town for.

And of course Mahadeos for every spice you could ever want, and usually at about $2 for a bag big enough to keep you going for a year.

te whanganui-a-tara • Since Nov 2006 • 1 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.