Island Life by David Slack

Read Post

Island Life: One sleep to go

113 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Hadyn Green,

sorry 3410, i misspelt your name

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report

Well, you learn something everyday. I did check my dictionary (.com) but it wasn't there. Frankly, I'm disappointed with the answer.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report

• Rob Stowell,

I don't know what numeric system the Chinese have now. But I seem to remember learning in history that they used base 60. (!?)And that this meant only the educated classes could use big numbers....

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report

Rob, you might find this interesting

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report

• Hadyn Green,

Isn't it the French that use base 60?

I thought that the Chinese count like Maori. i.e. to say 11 you say "ten and one", to say 342 you say "three hundreds and four tens and two".

but I don't speak Chinese, anyone?

• Hadyn Green,

3410: that was fun for a Friday arvo, cheers! (also glad I'd get into a British Uni)

• Emma Hart,

Isn't it the French that use base 60?

Only briefly. So, seventy-nine is sixty-nineteen, but then eighty-five is four twenties and five. I think they just make shit up, honestly.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report

• Heather Gaye,

I thought that the Chinese count like Maori. i.e. to say 11 you say "ten and one", to say 342 you say "three hundreds and four tens and two".
    but I don't speak Chinese, anyone?

Correct, without the "and". Also, pointy -finger stuff!

Morningside • Since Nov 2006 • 533 posts Report

• Heather Gaye,

Sorry, messed up the linky.

Morningside • Since Nov 2006 • 533 posts Report

• Emma Hart,

Cheers, Heather, it was really interesting to see how that compares with NZSL number signs.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report

• Jackie Clark,

Now she really does think it was the tooth fairy, and how do I tell her!

Well, you don't, obviously. I hate it when adults try to ambush kids' fantastic belief systems. I've taught with people who'll read a book to the kids ( and remember this is 3-5 year olds) and say at the end " Do you think that really happened? It's only pretend, eh?" WTF is that about? Childhood is all too short and the magic lasts for ever such a brief period in their lives - let them believe fabulous things. It's healthy! I vote for more magic in our lives, not less. And by the way, I love that you put a flower in a glass of water - that's so lovely, and so very like the tooth fairy.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

• Bart Janssen,

First
    Happy Birthday MM

I inherited real Mechano and used to save up money to buy expansion sets which I still have:). Never did get to Set 10

Balaclava is a town in Crimea.

Its a typo

And I'm not certain anyone knows if stars are infinite, probably depends on whether all universes have stars and if there really are an infinite number of universes ... universi?

As for what you can tell kids...

My father (who sadly died 18 months ago) discovered that he got considerably less of the chocolate in a bar after my older brothers got old enough to want some.
    So
    When I came along he decided to do something about it
    From about 2 years old he told me with absolute conviction that chocolate was made of poos - hence the brown colour.
    To this day I can't eat chocolate, the smell puts me off. milo is OK though (shrug)
    All I can say is that it probably saved me a lot of pimples.

He really was a very nice man honest.

cheers
    Bart

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report

• Rob Stowell,

I'm a little wary of infinity. A mathematician friend (actually he's now an actuary) insists that infinity plus one is one more than infinity. I reckon they're the same number.
    But if there are infinite universes, wouldn't it be enough if one in 100, or a thousand, or one in a trillion- has stars to make stars infinite as well?
    Back on this planet- and we only have the one- amusing to think I could get into a British university. I hope my maths averse 15 yr-old would have a shot. What are we losing when we abondon a tool like this?

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.