OnPoint by Keith Ng

Read Post

OnPoint: Meet your new overlords + media conference

72 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Che Tibby,

i'm fence sitting on this one. i agree with i/s for swtiching off comments. the lunatics were out in force when he made the decision. a more puerile bunch of wankers i've never seen.

but, maybe he should swtich them back on with kind of membership/registration proviso.

i very carefully vet anyone who attempts to comment on object dart. dad4justice for example? no effing way.

the back of an envelope • Since Nov 2006 • 2042 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

I/S and DPF both are avowedly too busy to police comments, and have taken opposite approaches. I don't see DPF dogwhistling so much as having commenters who will seize on anything.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Deborah,

Like this on Kiwiblog today.

New Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 1447 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Maybe what I meant was you don't need to whistle the dogs when they're ravening beasts with spittle-foamed muzzles already.

• Stephen Judd,

And to extend that analogy, I/S was suffering from those same dogs roaming.

• Tom Semmens,

I don't for one minute think DPF is to busy to moderate his blog - it's to him what a souped up Legacy is to a boy from Howick. he keeps a close eye on it.

The bottom line is he is happy to get other people to say what he clearly to smart to say himself.

And that is where he is dishonest and I/S is not.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• merc,

I'm not so sure DPF is dishonest, indeed I'm sure he's not. Kiwiblog is a phenomenon that's for sure, and not a waste of time, there are sometimes some really good comments, you just got to...sort the wheat from the chaff, obviously.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Yeah, I have met David and followed his career with interest. He genuinely is a very busy guy with fingers in a lot of pies. I am quite certain he does not have the time to impose a sane moderation policy on Kiwiblog.

Whether he eggs the nutjobs on - maybe. I remember him writing a while ago about how he loved Ann Coulter not for what she said, but for how she enraged liberals, and no doubt that applies to his own private wingnut collection too.

• Tom Semmens,

I think the whole debate around NRT/DPF's comments policy illustrates a wider phenomena with blogs, and something I wonder if anyone mentioned during th EPMU thingy in Wellington. Comments can be as much part of a bloggers arsenal as the blogger him or herself. Lots of comments are source of pride and re-assurance and they contribute to a pokie-machine psychology of addiction that hooks so many to compulsively reading forums and blogs (one more refresh and I might get a reply!) Now, as anyone in the liquor or tobacco industry will tell you, where there is addictive behaviour to be had there is a dollar is to be made or an opinion to be changed. So, if comments contribute to hits and controversial comments contribute even more hits, whats the implications of that for online media?

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• Lea Barker,

Just for some alien perspective... a startup news website in Oakland, California, is offering $50 for a 500-word story; Wired pays 50c/word for a beginning writer, up to $1 at the high end.

You're lucky to even have a union in NZ. Just today (August 14), the Denver-based owner of several unionised Bay Area newspapers lumped them in with another group of papers he owns which aren't unionised, then said there wasn't the requisite 50% union membership to allow the union to continue to represent the workers. The story is here:
    http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003625179

The San Francisco Chronicle, on the other side of the Bay, is unionised, but that hasn't helped, as the owners--The Hearst Corporation--are getting rid of a quarter of its editorial staff. And publishing their demise as "Colleagues Remembered" online at SFGate.com:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/category?blogid=28&cat=1301

I really liked the coverage I've seen of the weekend's conflab in Wellington.

Oakland, CA • Since Nov 2006 • 45 posts Report Reply

• Idiot Savant,

Che:

maybe he should swtich them back on with kind of membership/registration proviso.

Blogger doesn't offer that option, and even if it did, I'm not sure that I would want to use it. As I said, I have neither the time nor the inclination to vet every comment, and neither do I want to deal with the inevitable recriminations when someone feels upset about being refused permission to piss all over my doorstep (and given the number of commenter who clearly lack any form of intellectual toilet training, it will happen). While I miss the public input too, at the end of the day, I am simply unwilling to run a sewer.

Palmerston North • Since Nov 2006 • 1717 posts Report Reply

• merc,

Maybe you could have an article published here on occasion...

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Maybe you could have an article published here on occasion...

I was going to say that. Any time you do want a conversation I/S, consider the offer open.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Che Tibby,

Blogger doesn't offer that option, and even if it did, I'm not sure that I would want to use it.

you might want to consider moving your content over to a platform that does.

wordpress lets you vet a commenter the first time, then they're on their own.

but, you can always mark their url "spam" if they flip.

• Rich of Observationz,

Livejournal has a setting that only allows "friends" to comment - but then it's half way between a blog hoster and a social network.

I'd think that choosing who to let in was a lot easier than worrying over each and every comment. (I'd probably be blackballed for excessive spikiness, mind).

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• DPF,

I've probably banned more people for comments over the pale than any other blogger. But when comments come in some days at around 50 - 100 per hour, you're smoking crack if you think I have time to censor or even read every comment. I am also currently doing the equivalent of two fulltime jobs and trying to kill the Electoral Finance Bill in my spare time.

D4J has just had his 4th ban with each one doubling in size - so this one is for two months. To be fair to D4J, those who provoke him and bring up his kids are like people who spread petrol at a bonfire.

And now I am on wordpress, I do plan to appoint some moderators to try and take care of the worst offenders. I just need time to draft a clear updated moderation policy as a guideline for them.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 78 posts Report Reply

• John Farrell,

So you're happy with D4J's insinuations about labour politicians and their partners, David? He produces those without provokation.

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 499 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

D4J has just had his 4th ban with each one doubling in size - so this one is for two months.

Um, this could be part of your problem. That does seem awfully lenient for a fourth offense. We kick the little snots' arses out the door permanently after feck-up number three. Number two is a year ban - after that generally they just don't bother coming back, because they've found somewhere else to be jerks in the meantime. I'll lay money right now you'll have to use the four month ban.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Che Tibby,

dpf,

if you do appoint a moderator, please ensure you pay them the correct minimum wage, and look after things like their health, safety, and especially stress levels.

we know what you thatcherite tories are like.

• Che Tibby,

PS. feeding them crack might help get thru that volume of comments.

• DPF,

John: No I'm not. All I was saying is D4J is bad enough at the best of times, without deliberate provocation to really send him over the top.

Emma: Sadly you may win that bet. Most people though have responded quite well to the concept of a longer suspension each time, and generally it seems to work - except I'm not using them enough.

Che: Heh. They'll get paid double what I get paid :-)

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 78 posts Report Reply

• Michael Fitzgerald,

Removal of body angers widow .
    "If I knew there was going to be a contest I would become superconscious and not leave that body alone for one minute.
    Maori protocol expert Tamati Kruger

Police spokeswoman Maggie Leask said it was not illegal to remove a body, only to desecrate it. The case was now a civil matter.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4171909a10.html

Maggie Leask isn't a cop, she's got a garden slot on CTV. http://www.ctv.co.nz/homes_and_gardens.html?refresh=1

Christchurch Cops are moral cowards leaving this to a spin doc...er hospital aid

Since May 2007 • 631 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.