Speaker by Various Artists

Read Post

Speaker: Mixing it up, with stats like

195 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

• Michael Fitzgerald,

I take it Whisky Galore are proud to support smart ass racists?

Since May 2007 • 631 posts Report

• Danielle,

What would the chances be of 'Dad's Tips' being released in one of those new fangled digital formats, do you reckon?

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report

• merc,

When I became a Dad, I became Dad. I imagine Dad has grown older these last few years, so is probably a Grandad...blog commenting by now maybe.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

I take it Whisky Galore are proud to support smart ass racists?

Michael: not for the first time, I'm asking you to pull your damn head in. Your comment is completely unwarranted and based on a faulty understanding of the meaning of the word and its derivation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niggardly

Perhaps you could clear the air and apologise for baselessly accusing people of being racist.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• andrew llewellyn,

throwing around a word like "niggardly" you are out of touch and have no place in power

That's exactly what I think about the people who complain it is a racist term. That, and pig ignorant. Apologies to the pigs.

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report

• stephen clover,

> You should also be fired for using words like country,
    > Whakatane, whopper, pollywog, and any other words
    > that have a bit in them that sounds vaguely like a
    > completely different word that might be offensive to
    > someone.

LOL yes. exactly.

wgtn • Since Sep 2007 • 355 posts Report

• andrew llewellyn,

Whopper?

What about afghan Hounds then? Brazil nuts?!! Guinea Pigs!?

Or am I on the wrong track?

• Michael Fitzgerald,

Russell et al

I enjoy PA & it is you sand pit but I'm right on this one. Niggardly is used by smart ass racists ( so says the Urban dictionary) and I can't compromise on this position.

What might be called common sense, or an understanding of socio-political reality of our world would surely have people realise this word is offensive, even when it is used as intended and without malice.

I really though there could have been some interesting insight towards Kiwi identity here, oh well.

Offence was not intended, testing ideas of identity was.

Since May 2007 • 631 posts Report

• andrew llewellyn,

or an understanding of socio-political reality of our world would surely have people realise this word is offensive,

I have little truck with people who would employ falsehood to accuse others of racism.

The word is not offensive, the assertion that it is is just wrong. Maybe in between getting an understanding of socio-political reality, they could get an education.

• Emma Hart,

Niggardly is used by smart ass racists ( so says the Urban dictionary) and I can't compromise on this position.

It's also used by people who would be gobsmacked to be told it has racist connotations, and are using it for its actual meaning. To call them racist is offensive.

What might be called common sense, or an understanding of socio-political reality of our world would surely have people realise this word is offensive, even when it is used as intended and without malice.

So, intent is irrelevant and all that matters is the impact on the hearer? In which case, surely you need to apologise to the people you offended by calling them racist, because your intent is irrelevant, and all that matters is that you offended them.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report

• andrew llewellyn,

And actually, that urban dictionary you linked to agrees that the word is not offensive

word that will get u fired...even though it doesn't mean anything offensive

I said niggardly and then i had to apologize...because my boss doesn't have a strong grasp of the english language

Um... so we should defer to the ignorant?

• merc,

Emma you have demonstrated first class reasoning there, thank you, very clear, intent is crucial to understanding.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report

• Emma Hart,

Emma you have demonstrated first class reasoning there, thank you, very clear, intent is crucial to understanding.

Cheers, merc. Though in this case it does feel a bit like fishing with dynamite.

For a couple of years, the most offensive thing you could call anyone at my kids' school was an egg. 'Egg' was the worst possible insult. Best recall all those cookery books.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report

• Joanna,

Best recall all those cookery books.

When I knew Japanese and my sister didn't, I used to frequently yell "Anata wa chikka tetsu desu!" at her, because it sounded harsh and nasty.

Of course, I was saying "you're a subway", but she didn't need to know that...

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 746 posts Report

• John Farrell,

"Niggardly" comes from the Old English word "niggard", which means a miser, or a stingy person.

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 499 posts Report

• The Dropkicks,

We here at Dropkicks are just glad our sponsorship came thru this debacle intact. If there was a sudden whisky shortage the humour would run out.

[Niggardly is] also used by people who would be gobsmacked to be told it has racist connotations, and are using it for its actual meaning. To call them racist is offensive.

Reminds me of the time someone labelled me sexist for using the idiom 'rule of thumb'.

I'd never hit a woman with aything more than a killer smile and a cheeky wink, so how the hell was I to know!

Wellington • Since Sep 2007 • 20 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

It amuses me with such a wonderfully simple thing as google that people still push things like 'rule of thumb' and niggardly==nigger as anything other than urban legends.

About once a week I get told something or get some silly email which snopes.com or google or any half-decent site disproves in a minute.

And people say it's the internet that's full or rubbish.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• Jim Welch,

I enjoy PA & it is you sand pit but I'm right on this one. Niggardly is used by smart ass racists ( so says the Urban dictionary) and I can't compromise on this position.

michael, dude! don't want to harsh on your buzz, man, or be mean, but most of what you write makes absolutely no sense, and what little that does is just absolute tripe. does it not make you a trifle uneasy that *everyone else* who has responded to you disagrees with you, quite vehemently? it should, because, as numerous others have lucidly explained, you're wrong. i'm sorry i started this at all--i used the example of one stupid and wrong-headed reaction to the word "niggardly" to point out how an over-developed fear of offending anyone, married with ignorance and laziness could impair our use of language and actually degrade the level of public discourse--in this case about race, identity etc. little did i imagine my example would actually create the same ridiculous misunderstanding in miniature.
    so, you've provided some mirth and then frustration for all of us here, now it's probably a good time to, as russell gently suggested, pull your damn head in!

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 43 posts Report

• Jim Welch,

ps mmmmm, whiskey.....

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 43 posts Report

• Hadyn Green,

Apology accepted Michael...oh wait.

Well the whiskey will apologise for all the world's ills. Mmmmm.

And, maybe I'm also too innocent, but how is "Rule of Thumb" sexist?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report

• andrew llewellyn,

I suppose we could look it up Hadyn... so much easier to wait for someone to tell us :)

• John Farrell,

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 499 posts Report

• Joanna,

• Russell Brown,

Anyway Michael, you get the picture; you were mistaken and you shouldn't have called Andrew (or whoever) a racist. Just say sorry.

Urban Dictionary is entertaining, but not a good place to look up the meaning of an actual word. Last time I checked, the definitions of the word "Maori" were pretty horrifying.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Joanna,

Urban Dictionary is entertaining, but not a good place to look up the meaning of an actual word.

I beg to differ - the Wellingtonista had a particularly lively time getting the definitive definition of a snowball vs. a snowjob one time.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.