Read Post

Speaker: Quantum Competition

189 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

• Hadyn Green,

Never mind that last post.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Though maybe I should just get back to the here and now and save all that for later and just blame the ref.

Why not? If those sneaky bastards are going to keep scoring points on behalf of the evil ones, they deserve everything they get. :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Michael Fitzgerald,

It's Summer Time!
    http://www.slsnz.org.nz/Article.aspx?ID=344

"I blame William Webb Ellis. If only he hadn't picked the ball up that day and ran with it we'd be spared all this grief."

He didn't it was all a pack of lies made up when he was 70 odd and was one of the few who didn't have a criminal record as an adult, but never let the facts get in the way of a good story like "Tom Browns School Days"

Since May 2007 • 631 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Sigh ... and the burden gets a little heavier. It's a long time since I've seen an AB team so hesitant at the breakdown. They just looked spooked at times, when they had the winning of it.

I feel sorry for Ali Williams in particular -- lost amongst the post mortem will be the fact that he had a magnificent game.

I'm really not sure Carter was fully fit going into the game, and Mils at centre looked like ... a fullback.

And, yup, it does make it harder to swallow that the game turned on two serious refereeing blunders.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams,

And, yup, it does make it harder to swallow that the game turned on two serious refereeing blunders.

I'd have said one serious and one dubious but that's just quibbling... totally agree with you about Williams, he played his best game - Evans looked good too (for as long as he was on the park) and Howlett's is another who might have made a difference...

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler,

The question isn't why did we lose, it's why didn't we win?

Simple - we didn't even score the points value of the margin people were predicting!

At least no-one venting on the Herald thus far has blamed Graham Henry 'though - that man deserves a knighthood.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

I was lucky enough to watch the game with some NZers at the Alliance Francaise in Canberra - and what a game! Right til the end the atmosphere was unbelievably tense, no-one in the room was taking anything for granted. A deserved win by gracious winners. I know who I'll be supporting from here on in.

One thing I don't want to hear are the familiar narratives - 'best team in the world', 'four more years' etc... can we stop the collective self-belief that winning is our destiny already?

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

I'd have said one serious and one dubious but that's just quibbling...

Paul Waite at Haka is incandescent about the refereeing performance. You have to wonder about the wisdom of giving a game like this to a guy in his third year of professional refereeing.

But ... the idea is that you're good enough that you overcome things like that.

• Graeme Edgeler,

I know who I'll be supporting from here on in.

Argentina!

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Yamis,

I don't think its the responsibility of a sports team to overcome referring blunders though.

That's fine in a one sided game where you win by 20 instead of 30 but when there isn't going to be much in it, 14 points that may not have been scored in a 2 point win is HUGE.

Ah well, there's always the ANZC semis to look forward to ;)

Since Nov 2006 • 903 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams,

<Paul Waite at Haka is incandescent about the refereeing performance. You have to wonder about the wisdom of giving a game like this to a guy in his third year of professional refereeing.</quote>

Waite's often incandescent although I agree he probably shouldn't have been appointed to such a game.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

This is totally beside the point (really, who cares), but the accountants at TV3 must be huddled in a corner sobbing just about now - I mean even more than the nation at large. Did anybody notice that after that ridicolous scam of theirs about the fact that really they were broadcasting the game mostly for the sake of PNG and the Pacific rather than NZ, McKay proceeded to welcome the viewers from the Pacific well into the second half?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• andin,

I wonder if the All Blacks will meet up with the Wallabies at the airport on the way home for an early start to the summer?

Time to scrape the rust off the barbie and concentrate on the really important things.

Ah sanity returns, I can look forward to returning to a country not awash in self congratulatory machismo.
    Its like Gallipoli, brothers in defeat. Thank you Winston..I mean Ref.
    Prance & sneer indeed, someone needs to lay off the pot.

raglan • Since Mar 2007 • 1891 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

Well, my panicky nervousness was apparently justified. Goddammit. Pretty crushed.

I really, really hope they get a decent welcome home. I would be disappointed if the mood of the country turned against them, because I don't think they played badly, and I don't think they lost the match themselves, if you know what I mean. And you have to support your teams even when they lose, in our household. It's character-forming.

It'sonlyagameit'sonlyagameit'sonlyagame...

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Rob Hosking,

This is totally beside the point (really, who cares), but the accountants at TV3 must be huddled in a corner sobbing just about now - I mean even more than the nation at large. Did anybody notice that after that ridicolous scam of theirs about the fact that really they were broadcasting the game mostly for the sake of PNG and the Pacific rather than NZ, McKay proceeded to welcome the viewers from the Pacific well into the second half?

Yeah.

It was about the only time I laughed in the second half. It was so bloody transparent: someone had shoved a bit of paper under his nose.

Saw the last bit of the Aussie-English game although I hadn't planned to: got woken by the toddler in the middle of a dream that England was winning - once I'd got her settled of course I HAD to watch it.

Not as good a game, but they had a better ref.

And Felix: YOU'RE A DEAD MAN....

South Roseneath • Since Nov 2006 • 830 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Prance & sneer indeed, someone needs to lay off the pot.

Would it be possible for you to post here even once without slinging off at another contributor? I really don't understand your attitude.

The sneering anticipated in the post you referred to is that inevitably forthcoming from Stephen Jones and his like.

• Felix Marwick,

Rob,
    you're not the first one to tell me that this morning :-) But at least my misery at another World Cup failure has been tempered by a cash return (in my book $8.25 was good odds for France by 12 and under)

I felt I had to give some friends in Chch a call (we'd sat through AB defeats in every World Cup since 1995) just to see how they were bearing up.

It turns out they're not so good. One was out in the backyard burning his All Blacks jersey.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 200 posts Report Reply

• Yamis,

It turns out they're not so good. One was out in the backyard burning his All Blacks jersey.

And just how flammable is the material that they play in these days?

Since Nov 2006 • 903 posts Report Reply

• Felix Marwick,

I think an entire can of petrol may have been used so it'd be hard to tell

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 200 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Stuff has the clip of McAllister's sin-bin "offence" (and various other highlights and lowlights).

The rather inept TV direction makes it hard to see exactly what happened, but it really does look like Jauzion milked it. He flies backwards with his hands in the air while McAllister runs back towards the line and doesn't even seem to register an impact. Bah.

• Russell Brown,

Must stop looking at those clips. The more I look at the sin-binning and the forward pass, the less philosophical I feel ...

• simon g,

TV3 is to blame. God's ad-free Sunday lie-in was shattered, and verily he did smite the sinners.

I'd like to see someone from the NZRU announce (and I paraphrase here) "stuff this for a lark, we're just going to spend the next four years preparing to be gracious hosts of a bloody good party, and hey, whatever happens, happens". But I fear that we're going to get sucked into a "now or never" mindset, and regard the tournament as nothing more than home advantage that we must exploit, making ourselves look sullen and mean-spirited. We're just too damn desperate, like a 4th year at varsity still trying to get laid.

Anyone hear the ads on Newstalk ZB for the Herald on Sunday and their World Cup guide? Counting down to the ABs semi-final, that was the gist. Oh dear.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1333 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Anyone hear the ads on Newstalk ZB for the Herald on Sunday and their World Cup guide? Counting down to the ABs semi-final, that was the gist. Oh dear.

Yep, and Radio Live was running ads for TV3 coverage of the "New Zealand- England semi-final" after France had won. I think someone realised and yanked it out of the schedule ...

• Hadyn Green,

It's kind of hollow watching all of the All Black-based ads on TV3 too

At least no-one venting on the Herald thus far has blamed Graham Henry

You haven't read Stuff yet then?

<sour grapes>Wayne Barnes also happens to be the guy who was awful while reffing Tonga-South Africa. His calls will have to be looked at by the referee's committee and I doubt we'll see him again at this cup (then again I was surprised to see him here)</sour grapes>

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Swiftly updated at Wikipedia ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Barnes

A little vandalism though.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.