Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Moron y Moron

187 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

Andy:

Well that's a POV, and thanks for putting it forward without the distubing level of peacock machismo flowing from some quarters. But - and I guess this sounds rather pompous - it just seems to me that if you've got to get down to Trev's level you've already lost the fight that really matters.Hell, I can be a bitch on heels but there are some places I just don't go.

Like Craig, I'm unhappy with Clark trying to spin the Mallard incident with the "lady's honour" thing.

I'm not even so much unhappy as completely flummoxed that Clark would say something like that - as if Tariana Turia mused that perhaps Don Brash had a point... Anyway, perhaps I've spent way too much time hanging around old skool butch dykes, farmer's wives and Tory ladies, but the women of my acquaintance can defend their own honour - with extreme prejudice. :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• InternationalObserver,

Careful you don't wind up trivialising family violence there ...

I certainly wouldn't dream of trivialising family violence - it's awful and I've been lucky there's been none of it in my family.

But your reply is kinda my point. No-one would dream of trivialising family violence and yet there is a great deal of trivialising of Mallard's violence right here on PAS. We're all agreed that yes what he did was wrong, but divided on how 'bad' it was and whether Henare kinda deserved what he got cause he kinda provoked it, y'know?

Hence my analogy above. If I slapped my wife how far would I get telling the Police/Judge that she had provoked me by demeaning me in front of others? Even if my wife [this is all hypothetical BTW folks] said "I was goading him and he's never hit me before" the cops would still arrest me regardless.

There's clearly a gender bias in what constitutes assault. If I slapped a guy at a street BBQ the cops probably wouldn't even be called, and if they were they'd probably use their discretion and give us a warning.

And if Mallard had of 'merely' shoved a female MP (presumably harranging him) out of his way whilst storming angrily down the corridor of the Beehive then he would be history by now. He would have tendered his resignation as soon as the first journo asked him "Did you just ..."

Since Jun 2007 • 909 posts Report Reply

• InternationalObserver,

Maybe the current TV campaign script should be amended:
    Because it's not right. Unless you're on rival teams (sports or politics) in which case a bit of biffo is to be expected. It's the Kiwi Way.

And furthermore, if you pay attention to the campaign, rather than simply trying to score points off it...

Hmmm, methinks I hit a nerve. I was not trying to score points off the ad, merely highlighting the acceptance of sports 'biffo'. There are very few ppl who would argue with the ad (no-one is really 'pro-violence', just as no-one is in favour of clubbing baby seals, and we all listen to Morning Report) but if you asked them if sports players are wrong to biff eachother there'd be more than a few who would shrug and say it's all part of the game. If you can't take it you shouldn't play, etc etc.

And that's kinda the response we're getting now from some quarters to defend Mallard. I think your __first __response to my sports analogy was better (heh heh) when you highlighted that some codes are starting to go harder on players that biff. And that's where I see the PM going when she finally makes known her response/judgement on Mallard.

I predict she'll 'sin bin' him by taking his beloved RWC and Sports Portfolios off him, and I'd be happy with that. I don't think he should be prosecuted and nor does Henare (and if he was prosecuted Tau knows Henare would come out the undisputed bad guy). Like many errant Labour MP's before him Mallard will (should) take his medicine, pull his head in, and after a suitable time-frame find himself back on the front bench.

And as an aside: if the TV networks stopped highlighting biffo in their sports news bulletins then maybe that might improve fairplay??

• Grant McDougall,

Winston Peters? Didn't he, y'know, have a bit of a biff himself? Not exactly a stop violence meeting was it.

He did, sometime in the late '90s, between himself and the newly -re-elected mayor of Auckland. Basically they were both out in the lobby, words were exchangedc and Peters shoved Banks around a bit. According to Banks, Peters breath smell like a brewery.

Dunedin • Since Dec 2006 • 760 posts Report Reply

• Mikaere Curtis,

As someone who stood at the last general election, and is planning to stand at the next, I firmly believe that personal life and whanau are completely off limits. So I can understand Mallard's reaction to Henare's baiting (as in, "let's get out of the chamber and have a verbally robust discussion where we can say exactly what we like away from the Speaker"). He shouldn't have allowed it to escalate beyond vehement discussion.

I regard violent anger as a choice rather than an automated response, so I see Mallard and Henare's subsequent behaviour as a rote playing out of an unfortunate male stereotype.

And euphemistic descriptions of violence as "biff" is part of the problem. The sooner we see this particular phrase (and similar responsibility-diminishing labels, such as "argy-bargy") consigned to the same linguistic dustbin as "domestic", the better. Violence-retlated cognitive heuristics are part of the problem; please stop using them.

Getting back to RB's original post, I disagree that the Maori party were either hysterical or cynical. Sure, the labelling the government as a "Minority Government" was labouring the point (no pun intended), but what exactly do you think Maori should have to say about a situation whereby a predominantly Maori township is "shut down" by a "ninja army" (sic), whereas no such widespread actions are taken when suspects are arrested/searched in predominantly Pakeha locales ?

To be frank, when Greg O'Connor starts justifying police intimidation (or outright violence), I begin to wonder if he is engaging in a PR arse-covering exercise.

I went to Saturday's protest, and got some interesting background on a couple of the defendants. I am still uncomfortable with they way the bail applications and hearing locations are being handled by the Crown. Which is why I marched, as opposed to some pro-apartheid wet-dream expounded by Wintson Peters. Of all people to gain oxygen from this whole sorry saga...

Tamaki Makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 528 posts Report Reply

• Sue,

<quote>I firmly believe that personal life and whanau are completely off limits. <quote>

then you might not want to be standing for parliament
    becuase it happens most every day in the house

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 527 posts Report Reply

• kmont,

Very nice to hear your view Mikaere Curtis.

wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 485 posts Report Reply

• Mikaere Curtis,

Sue, I plan to be standing as a Green. I would be obliged if you would descry a personal life / whanau attack by a Green MP either in the House or via media release.

We simply don't condone this kind of activity. And neither do the mainstream media, who apparently knew about Don Brash's alleged affair and decided en masse to not report it.

Sure, some of the bottom-feeding politicians will throw whatever they can rake up from one side of the House to the other, but surely the best response is to stack the House with representatives who refuse to countenance this behaviour ?

Thanks for the advice, though. Should I actually get elected (no sureties in the Green ranks), I'll be sure to take heed of your warning.

• Craig Ranapia,

And if people of good will on all sides of the political spectrum aren't going to say "not in my name, you don't" where does it stop? Russell's cryogenically frozen head opining on Hard News 2108 (Beta) how outrageous it is that the Prresident isn't being stalked by a private investigator? I'm only being slightly facetious, because we seem to forget that politicians are just another pack of civil servants on fixed-term contracts; and the media are part of a market economy where we, the consumers, have the ultimate sanction if not consuming their product.

• InternationalObserver,

I firmly believe that personal life and whanau are completely off limits. So I can understand Mallard's reaction to Henare's baiting

Er, this is the same Trevor Mallard who baited Don Brash in the House ad nauseum about Don's marital woes???

(FYI this is why I think Mallard is a hypocrite. He can dish it out but can't take it)

• Kyle Matthews,

There's clearly a gender bias in what constitutes assault.

Well, yes. But I don't think there's a gender bias in the police or in the courts much more than there is in society. I'm sure there's a bunch of social groups around where if you bash a woman you'd be hoping that the police get to you before her brothers/husband/father/friends of either gender get to you. The police will still do you for 'male assaults female' and the courts will come down on you.

I think there's actually perceived power imbalances in what constitutes assault. If I got into a fight with a 13 year old male, you could bet, all other things being equal, I'd be the one the police would be coming down on for not acting my age.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Er, this is the same Trevor Mallard who baited Don Brash in the House ad nauseum about Don's marital woes???

Somehow I'm trying to find a way for Tau Henare getting the wrong woman to make a difference in this thing, either way. I can't find it though.

Maybe it just makes Mallard a git, and Henare an incompetent git?

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler,

Somehow I'm trying to find a way for Tau Henare getting the wrong woman to make a difference in this thing, either way. I can't find it though.

How about ... you can't defend the honour of a non-existent woman, so the PM's recent explanation holds even less water?

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Shep Cheyenne,

[Post quoting the guy pretending to be Bomber removed from here, given that it refers to a defamatory fake - RB]

Since Oct 2007 • 927 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

How about ... you can't defend the honour of a non-existent woman, so the PM's recent explanation holds even less water?

Or the PM's spin holds no water at all if she's alluding to the woman who secured this grovelling retraction and apology from a Sunday newspaper that has a track record where Sharons are concerned.

• Mikaere Curtis,

Cheers Kowhai.

Are you saying he's lost all right of reply when his personal life is being (from his perspective, unfairly) smeared across the House ?

• Russell Brown,

Didn't watch the telly tonight - can anyone confirm the Bomber & a 16yr old stripper story & that he was the one pissed at Alt TV for the racist txt?

I think what you quoted there was the fake Bomber who's been posting to various forums. As if the guy doesn't have enough on his plate ...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Shep Cheyenne,

Prob best to remove that post then rather than spread this rubbish.
    Cheers

Since Oct 2007 • 927 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

And the pointless palava continued last night with both Close Up and Campbell Live leading with Peters vs. Sharples on 'terrorism/separatism/whateverism'. Campbell, suitably enough, had them live. But my sense, from flicking back and forward, was that neither Peters nor Sharples actually had anything of substance to say.

Peters couldn't actually identify anyone of any note engaged in meaningful advocacy of separatism and appeared to be going on about nothing, complete with the usual bluster. He did however repeat the point that "probably" some of the investigating Police were Maori. No sh*t.

Sharples couldn't really say that any innocent citizens had been truly 'terrorized' by the jack-booted heel of the state, or that those arrested might not have a case to answer, and was actually relatively quiet. Perhaps a good thing.

I couldn't help but feel that the whole fuss might not be good for a percentage point or two in the polls for each of these grim characters though. Winston "1.8%" Peters must be loving the exposure and chance to pontificate in prime time.

Rich of Obz said:

I guess if there wasn't such a paucity of talent in Labour's caucus Helen Clark would be quicker to fire ministers like Mallard.

Have you seen the National front benches lately? Hardly an embarrassment of riches. If they have room for the likes of Tony Ryall, Judith Collins, Maurice Williamson, David Carter, Murray McCully, and Lockwood Smith in the top 12, then clearly there isn't much competition.

Oil Patch, Alberta • Since Nov 2006 • 706 posts Report Reply

• merc,

Marae (news show) on Maori TV was incredible last night.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

Steven - if Henare had Mallard by the tie, as has been reported, then technically Henare may have committed the first assault?

Also, I recall Henare himself at one point describing the blow he received as "a tap on the jaw" rather than "a closed fist to the head."

I wasn't there, and neither were you, but it seems possible they're both dicks.

I think it goes to the small nature of NZ, and the fact that often not a lot of substance happens, that we're still talking about this. I will now set a good example by not going on about it anymore. I eagerly await a cat stuck up a tree, an All Black on a drunken rampage, or a Black Cap smoking weed, to get the likes of Mallard, Henare, Peters and Sharples off the front page.

I wish the PM would stop adding oxygen to the faux flames too.

• Rich of Observationz,

Have you seen the National front benches lately?

Yes, but not being the government, they aren't called on to do anything other than spout bullshit.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

Yes, but not being the government, they aren't called on to do anything other than spout bullshit.

No wonder the likes of Ryall and Collins are so highly placed. :-)

• Craig Ranapia,

I wish the PM would stop adding oxygen to the faux flames too.

Well, more to the point, I wish the PM would have a good hard think about the notion that abusers flourish when they're surrounded by people who are either in total denial or active enablers. While (IMO) the explicit message of the IT'S NOT OK campaign is to challenge abusers to own their own shit, there's the other (and equally important) side of the equation: it's not acceptable for the rest of us to look away, minimise or make excuses for what they do either.

• InternationalObserver,

__ Er, this is the same Trevor Mallard who baited Don Brash in the House ad nauseum about Don's marital woes???__

Are you saying he's lost all right of reply when his personal life is being (from his perspective, unfairly) smeared across the House?

In a nutshell: yes.

Also, I recall Henare himself at one point describing the blow he received as "a tap on the jaw" rather than "a closed fist to the head."

Yes, it's a trait particular to men. (or is it?) When punched, claim it was just "a tap on the jaw". And if the assailant has scarpered try "if you think this is bad, you should see the other guy"

I wasn't there, and neither were you, but it seems possible they're both dicks.

In a nutshell: yes.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.