Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Mighty Indeed

81 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Rob Hosking,

Few follow up notes:

The Tour: the Gisborne game was the first. It was my last year at school and I was one of only two blokes in the 7th Form who thought the Tour should not go ahead.

A mate who had a brother at AK Uni reckoned a bunch of protesters and rugby supporters went down to Gisborne on the same bus: at that stage the issue, although tense, still allowed that sort of thing.

The Hamilton non-game ended all that. It was an awful time: twice a week the country would brace itself for the crash of the next game.

The Blams... from memory their first recorded version of Dr Who was on a B side - I think to 'Marsha'.

And on the Screaming MeeMees: 'See Me Go' isn't the only MeeMee song being used in an ad at the moment. There's a bit of 'Sunday Boys' - the 'Way - o-O Wayo, Way-o-O (dada dada dada dada)' bit (people who know the song will know the bit I mean) played by brass instruments in some ad. Can't remember what for.

Its been bugging me for months, because I've heard it and thought 'dammit I know that tune'.

Coming back from the toddler's swimming lesson this morning the pre-decimalisaton copper coin finally obeyed the gravitational imperative....

South Roseneath • Since Nov 2006 • 830 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

It's available on The Complete Blam Blam Blam (which is an excellent collection), but I certainly wouldn't say no to a blam-blam-bootleg of the night...

We may get access to some high-quality live recordings of the current incarnation. Stay tuned.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Stephen Judd,

Re Auckland vs Wellington bars: I've often thought the same thing (and yes, the Wine Cellar is one of Auckland's great redeeming features).

My theory is that it IS the people, or rather their distribution.

Specifically, Wellington's compact central space and its well-heeled young demographic make it possible for nichey bars to survive and even to cluster together. In Auckland they would never get the foot traffic.

During my Auckland exile my social life, or at least the alcohol-driver part of it, sustained a great blow because it wasn't so easy just to hang about in town after work, and rely on your mates doing the same. In Auckland you have to plan getting in and out of town whereas in Wellington I'm already there or not far away in terms of effort and money.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report

• Jackie Clark,

I was only a 13-year-old Form 2 student at Gisborne Intermediate in '81, but I remember the tour extremely vividly

Well, like Rob, I was in the 7th form, that year. And I had to go and protest because I had been studying apartheid for a number of years, of my own volition, and besides which, my mum and two of my sisters were going, so it was kind of a family outing. One of my sisters was heavily pregnant, and my father, who was in Germany on business at the time, rang my mother and yelled and screamed that we weren't to go, that my sister had to think of her baby. He was incensed about the whole thing. Which gave us even more reason to go, so bolshy are the Clark women. We set off, and got to Fowlds Park to join the throng, and then I believe we marched across the Morningside railway lines and down one of those streets off Morningside Drive. I don't remember that part too well, but what I do remember is police officers walking alongside us as we chanted. And some of them singing along with us. Which prepared us well for the riot squad at the end of the road, blocking us from getting at Eden Park. Scary buggers, and very very young. And the pregnant sister I mentioned? Up there in front, yelling at them " Your mothers would be ashamed of you". Poor buggers. No-one should be put in that situation. Some of them looked like possums caught in the headlights. The rest is history, really. But I will always remember the singing policemen.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

• Simon Grigg,

I was only a 13-year-old Form 2 student at Gisborne Intermediate in '81, but I remember the tour extremely vividly

This thread kinda ties together. My tour was spent on the Screaming Blamatic Roadshow (**Screaming** Meemees, Blam Blam Blam, New matic s) and we followed the tour up and down the country. We found ourselves in Molesworth St (thanks to the direction of Geoff Ludbrook from punk revivalists, Riot 111) after a 17 hour drive from Dunedin and thence to Mt Eden. I received a hiding from a farmer's son at Lincoln because I tried to stop him hitting Tim Blam for wearing HART badge (and was told later I took it like a man).

Memories.....

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report

• daleaway,

Molesworth Street brings back memories. We had given this particular march a miss because it was the night of Chas and Di Wales's wedding and we were having an alternative wedding reception for them on "Last Days of Empire " theme (ladies a salver; dress code: posh).

Colour TV in the sitting room for the party and the wedding broadcast. B&W TV in the supper room for the late news, so that the latecomers who had arrived from the Tour protest could see themselves running every which way in the Molesworth Street affray.

I was dressed as Britannia with toasting fork trident. Witi Ihimaera and his wife came as ambassadors dressed to the nines for a Buck House garden party - little did we think that that was prophetic!

Since Jul 2007 • 198 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.