Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Nurturing Capitalism

63 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Rob Hosking,

I find the workshop shavings are a perfect infusion fora piece of salmon on foil with a touch of lemon and honey atop to be hot smoked for 5 to 10 mins

If you're feeling really decadent, sprinkle some Laphriog Single Malt over the salmon as well. Goes down a treat.

South Roseneath • Since Nov 2006 • 830 posts Report

• Shep Cheyenne,

Tuna fishing has more impact than on the supply/survival of Tuna. The stuff in the can is often the mangled fish from trawlers which rip up the sea bed and have a huge impact on the aquatic environment beyond one species.

Fin fish farming is still very much in its infancy & although I like salmon I really am lost as to why Trout holds such a place in Kiwi culture to the point it has special ref in the RMA as to water quality.

We have a fish that tastes like tuna and can be farmed with minimal impact with ready markets in Asia & Europe - hell its name is Tuna - or eel if you will.

The days of raiding the sea are over we need to farm more fin fish and let the natural environment recover.

Since Oct 2007 • 927 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Yep.. My point was that it is farmed, can be enjoyed without raiding the sea,easy to cook and tastes great and costs less. Thats our Xmas lunch/dinner. And you are right Shep. I am all for respect for the planet.It is such an easy thing to do, if only people could be less selfish eh ?

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Shep Cheyenne,

Ben - Lamb is pretty enviro-friendly too.

Sofie - It was salmon being farmed - right?
    If there were tuna farms that would be a sight to see.
    There is the whole colonisation of the water issue as well. Salmon & Trout replacing Eel & Fresh water crays.

Less selfish & more Shellfish I say ;)

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Sofie - It was salmon being farmed - right?

Sorry, I was talking salmon earlier and stream of consciousness an' all. Yes Salmon. Also water.... I think that is becoming a world bank grab . Another selfish lot.

• Shep Cheyenne,

Yes - I'm in Canty and the Dairy Ind is primarily about the export of free water via pasture & cows to supply milk to the world (95% exported).
    The dairy companies already consider the farmers allocation of water to be a tradable resource, although that is currently illeagal.

"New Zealand milk was compared to Nike sneakers to illustrate the absence of consumer responsibility (or sensibility) in demanding ever-lower prices."

That Nike CEO is an utter peanut butter nutter.

http://www.pce.govt.nz/projects/summary2.shtml

Random stats thrown around had the average urban ChCh household using twice as much water as Aucks. This was meant to say Chch is wasteful. I say Aucks are dirty B'stards ; )

• Julian Melville,

If you're feeling really decadent, sprinkle some Laphriog Single Malt over the salmon as well. Goes down a treat.

Clutches bottle of Quarter Cask close to heart... I guess I can't really imagine feeling quite that decadent! Maybe some Bowmore or something.

To Russell - yeah those Broil Kings really are the business aren't they. Grab Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible (occasionally cheap at Borders but not always) and you're set for life.

Auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 200 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I say Aucks are dirty B'stards

Well, never wash the (very small) car and we get enough rain to water our jungle. We are also welcome into our local @ 4, workboots and all and it's pub of the year!
    More to the point, I noted $3.50 for Butter! (which I did not buy, Fonterra) and warning of another increase this week.

• Shep Cheyenne,

Wanting to convert from grass to tussock - alas it rather clashes with a little resident who is a very active participant in Rugby, cricket and anthing else designed to break windows.

$3.50 for butter - see the global economy works. This is their competitive advantage as any other world producer would pay for not only the pumping but the very water used as well.
    We pay world prices for essentually our own water.

• InternationalObserver,

Does the Bible not tell us that the Lord has given us dominion over the animals? That means we can eat as much of the f@ckers as we like, surely? When there's nothing left to eat we'll find alternatives, surely? Just think of all the foods that people from other cultures eat that we turn our noses up at. When there's no more lamb or tuna to eat those dung beetles won't look so bad will they? Maybe Survivor... is paving the way?

Anyway, what I want to know is:** why does the price of Margerine rise along with the price of Butter? ** There's no valid reason for it ...

Since Jun 2007 • 909 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Does the Bible not tell us that the lord has given us dominion over the animals?

Ha! Thats why I never read it!(as she pats the dog)What if it meant it is our duty to look after all animals, human species included.

why does the price of Margerine rise along with the price of Butter?

Why? Because they can....
    I have also switched back to sun latte, as it steams well for coffee (and there is a feeling of supporting the underdog I suppose.)I have always been a supporter of a Boutique NZ. Time and time again we get recognition for our quality nz made goods.Why is it percieved unaffordable to eat organic when we could tackle other health issues with a concerted effort to recognise it is necessary to have basics for all, and not just coke vending machines.Fair trade. Fair planet.Ok I'm off to have my butterless, margerineless toast but the coffee is excellent. Thanks South America.

• Kyle Matthews,

Same reason that war in the Middle East has meant that oil from everywhere else in the world has gone up in price.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• Robyn Gallagher,

Because margarine doesn't want to be seen as the "cheap" alternative to butter. It is an equal*.

* Oh, yuck, I hate margarine!

Since Nov 2006 • 1946 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.