Up Front by Emma Hart

Read Post

Up Front: A Short Word Before We Begin

84 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Robyn Gallagher,

I'm no expert but surely if Google is a noun, then the verb is googling?

Googling would be the adjective form. The verb would be to google.

At my old job, our house spelling declared that the proper noun was Google and the verb was google. "I went to Google and googled 'hot Olympic swimmers'."

As for Googling/googling/Google-ing/google-ing, I would personally spell it googling. But I bet Google Inc would prefer something like "using GoogleTM search".

But don't sweat it. Go with what feels right. The people - not some prescriptive English language usage guide - will decide how it's spelt.

Since Nov 2006 • 1946 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

Google's got a good vocabulary.

Handle with care though: it returns over 33 million hits for "millenium".

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

where ambiguity isn't particularly hip, for obvious reasons.

Which is a pity. I love a good ambiguing.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Rachel Prosser,

Muphry's Law

Hee

Reminds me of the the discussion over at Freakonomics when Muphry's law struck Stephen Dubner.

He called out the Economist for writing Cornish Pasty not Pastry (Pastys are something different in the USA).

Christchurch • Since Mar 2008 • 228 posts Report Reply

• Paul Robeson,

agree with Robyn googling is probably the way to go...though I would use searched the internet more in written. Or looked on the net.

It would still be considered slang?

And as always, can say it how you featherstonehaugh you like, with two or three, and a lamington for all I care.

Since Feb 2008 • 87 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

He called out the Economist for writing Cornish Pasty not Pastry (Pastys are something different in the USA).

Yes, if in your head you're pronouncing 'pasties' with an ay sound, the mind seriously boggles.

But. Dear gods, basic research.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Steve Parks,

It would still be considered slang?

Nah.

"Nah" on the other hand?

Yeah.

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report Reply

• JohnS,

Special thanks to Giovanni. Your reference to the speech to the TED Foundation by Sir Ken Robinson is an absolute gem.

I've copied the audio to my iPod and sent the reference to many of my friends.

Greenlane, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 26 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

Special thanks to Giovanni. Your reference to the speech to the TED Foundation by Sir Ken Robinson is an absolute gem.

The principal of my son's primary school put me on to this a couple of months ago and I've since become positively evangelical in bugging people about it. The witnesses of Jehovah have nothing on me, I tell you.

But since I didn't really explain what it was about: Sir Ken's central contention is that our public education systems (and he means worldwide, really - sweeping statement backed by pretty good first-hand knowledge I suspect) are designed to un-teach creativity, and that we should be doing just the opposite. It's not a radically new idea, but when you happen to find somebody who knows how to communicate it, boy, it does inspire. Plus there are jokes aplenty, it's good fun.

I'll even repost the link.

Could I also interest y'all in a copy of The Watchtower?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.