Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Need to Know

125 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Graeme Edgeler,

So basically, the list/electorate balance is never revisited after the election?

Which means also that if a party (as might have happened) misses threshold and has no MPs, then one of their members gets elected at a byelection somehow, they only get the electorate MP, not the list ones.

Yes. It also means that if a party misses the threshold, and the party leader takes an election petition in their seat, and proves his their opponent stole ballots and replaced them with ballots for herself. But the real ballots are found, and the leader proves conclusively that he actually won the electorate, and the opponent is convicted of the corrupt practice of stealing and faking ballots, and receives the maximum penalty for that heinous crime against democracy (six months' imprisonment), there still isn't a reallocation of list seats, and all that party gets, despite getting enough votes for say 5 seats, is the leader's electorate seat.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• 81stcolumn,

Glenn himself has given a vivid case study that he wasn't too sentimental when it came to defending his honesty and/or mental acuity.

And IMHO gone a little bit beyond that, rather overplaying his wounded integrity (lets not forget this guy is a very successful businessman) and acting a bit like the cat that got tossed out of the living room - pissing on anyone and everything that comes in range. Which was to my mind was a little bit at odds with a man coveting a diplomatic role, albeit a decorative one.

Nawthshaw • Since Nov 2006 • 790 posts Report Reply

• simon g,

And for anyone who doesn't get the print version of the New Zealand Herald, I think the only sane and decent response to Rod Emmerson's effort today is to quote John Waters: "One must remember that there is such a thing as good bad taste and bad bad taste."

It's online now (I assume Craig means the 9/11 "joke"?).

Somehow the cartoonist went all the way through from blank sheet to publication without that little voice popping in to say: "Y'know, this may not be such a great idea". That's a worry.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1333 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

It's online now (I assume Craig means the 9/11 "joke"?). .

Yeah -- was my original link broken? Anyway, in a weird way it hit me like Trotter and Coddington reaching for the gang rape analogies. Lazy thinking that leads to trivialising some things (sexual violence and the murder of over three thousand people) that shouldn't be pimped out for cheap effect.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• JohnAmiria,

To be blunt, ... what the hell made Glenn think he was that special?

Five hundred MILLION dollars, that's what. Plus another 100k to help Winston, to help Labour.

In fact I sentence him to be locked in a ships hold with…. Michael Cullen I get the feeling they deserve each other. “He’s a bully” now that’s choice.

But Cullen is a bully (but he's got nothing on Mallard) ~ are you suggesting Glenn is a bully too? I don't think so. He's just a very rich man (a billionaire, not a millionaire) who has, through his enormous wealth, become used to getting what he wants. Owen Glenn is to the Labour Party what Mark Lyon was to the Headhunters. A man to be indulged while he's splashing the cash, but never really an 'insider'. But both were feted and allowed to think they were one of the gang, until things turned sour. Why Glenn thought Cullen's "Rich Prick" comment only applied to Key and not him I'll never know.

I think the only sane and decent response to Rod Emmerson's effort today is to quote John Waters: "One must remember that there is such a thing as good bad taste and bad bad taste."

I saw the cartoon this morning and my first thought was "Wow, that's really going to the edge". But I wasn't offended. But others will be. Is that enough to say it shouldn't be published?

hither and yon • Since Aug 2008 • 215 posts Report Reply

• JohnAmiria,

Ummm ... er ... why the deathly silence on Peter's appearance at the Privelege's committee last night? Or Clarke's announcement this morning that she is not going to fire him?

Is everyone waiting for Russell to come down on high with tablets of stone? Sorry to disappoint you but today he's talking about the Silver Scrolls

Or are we all just following my mothers advice: if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing?

• Craig Ranapia,

Is everyone waiting for Russell to come down on high with tablets of stone? Sorry to disappoint you but today he's talking about the Silver Scrolls

Um, because he was there last night and not up to speed enough to offer informed comment? Occam's Razor, chap.

• JohnAmiria,

I'm not having a dig at Russell at all. I'm having a dig at PAS readers. I'm honestly surprised no-one has anything to say. Are you all Labour stooges?

</stands in corner for baiting>

• andrew llewellyn,

Are you all Labour stooges?

Only craig as far as I can tell. Maybe Damian.

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report Reply

• andrew llewellyn,

Or are we all just following my mothers advice: if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing?

What's there to say? Anti-climax. Predictable anti-climax. Until next week perhaps.

• FletcherB,

What I found telling, was not where Peters was disagreeing with Glenn, but where he was contradicting what he'd previously said himself...

Lets go back a week or two...
    Glen " I met Mr Peters at karaka sales in 2006"
    Peters "no you didnt, that was 2007"

Now, apparently Peters admits he was at a table with Mr Glen in 2006, but it was a large table and there were many people.

LIAR LIAR LIAR

West Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 893 posts Report Reply

• Ian MacKay,

If Peters was sacked from his Ministers position does that mean that the Govt would fall, which is what Prebble was saying this morning. (Bensen-Pope didn't cause that to happen.) Or would it fall because NZF is not Labour?

Bleheim • Since Nov 2006 • 498 posts Report Reply

• FletcherB,

My understanding is that Peters not being a minister would not in and of itself cause failure....

But a spurned Peters /NZ First is highly likely to decide to withdraw from the coalition.... which would.

• andrew llewellyn,

which would

Graeme!!?? I understood (maybe) that now the ETS bill is passed, there's no more chance for a vote of no confidence & they're home & hosed. Or is that not until parliament stops sitting?

To summarise I guess: I dunno.

• Paul Litterick,

Heh, New Zealand's own version of the West Lothian Question?

I really want to bring Crichel Down into this conversation but I cannot find a way.
    <sigh>One day I will get a chance to use my A level in Government and Political Studies.</sigh>

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report Reply

• Kerry Weston,

http://election08.scoop.co.nz/gordon-campbell-winston-peters-rebuttal-of-glenn/

Link to Gordon Campbell's summary of Peters' rebuttal viz Glenn.
    I haven't heard radio or read the Herald front page today, so hadn't caught up with whether Winnie still rides.

The whole thing seems like a circus sideshow to me, i keep wondering wtf else is going on.

Manawatu • Since Jan 2008 • 494 posts Report Reply

• Paul Litterick,

The whole thing seems like a circus sideshow to me, i keep wondering wtf else is going on.

The Earth is being destroyed by the Large Hadron Collider. It might be on the News tonight, after the Sport.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler,

Graeme!!?? I understood (maybe) that now the ETS bill is passed, there's no more chance for a vote of no confidence & they're home & hosed. Or is that not until parliament stops sitting?

David Farrar has a post on the issue. Crux quote:

Some people think that just because no formal confidence vote is scheduled, the Prime Minister can remain in office without having the confidence of the House. This is not so. No Right Turn has a good post on this issue. You need to have the confidence of the House, even without a formal vote scheduled.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Gareth Ward,

I remember hearing Parliament is going "full term" - so when is it due to finally rise? Presumedly it's about survival to that point - if that's only a couple of weeks away and the PM announces the election date at the same time as she sacks Peters, it would seem a little... churlish I suppose... to dissolve Parliament in advance?

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report Reply

• B Jones,

I think I read recently that the week of 23-25 September would be the last sitting of Parliament before the election.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 976 posts Report Reply

• Ian MacKay,

The Parliament Timetable on the Live Broadcast on-line shows that September 9,10,11, are sitting days and then 23 as only other day set aside. ???

• Craig Ranapia,

I'm not having a dig at Russell at all. I'm having a dig at PAS readers. I'm honestly surprised no-one has anything to say. Are you all Labour stooges?

Nah, my standing Wednesday night down the pub quiz at the local (we won again, BTW) or trying to make sense of Winnie's blather? (A disturbing proportion of which I predicted before reading the Herald this morning. Which I'm not proud of.)

• Ian MacKay,

An interesting analysis of Peters position on Scoop 08
    http://election08.scoop.co.nz/

• FletcherB,

(A disturbing proportion of which I predicted before reading the Herald this morning. Which I'm not proud of.)

Not proud of your predictive abilities, or not proud of reading the Herald?

• Craig Ranapia,

Not proud of your predictive abilities, or not proud of reading the Herald?

A lot of both? :) But at the risk of sounding like a pretentious wank, trying to rationally engage with the very special world Winston Raymond Peters lives in does not put my head in a good place. I can see why he's a fairly popular drinking companion. I couldn't hack him sober.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.