Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Reasons to be cheerful

356 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 Newer→ Last

• jon_knox,

The thing I hate the most about extreme cold is women being all rugged up.

hmmm...Ben I hope you get a lot of painful spam from people selling saunas.

Belgium • Since Nov 2006 • 464 posts Report Reply

• Jake Pollock,

Hay bales? This isn't Ohio Geoff ;-) And while we have the roaring furnace and double-glazing, the apartment is a converted attic, and unfortunately there isn't quite enough between the ceiling and the roof. So it's a bit chilly inside, but nowhere near as bad as any house I've lived in in Auckland. Still, in the unheated bathroom, my shampoo is frozen.

Of course, it's not nearly as bad as Canada. Which is probably something to be cheerful about.

Raumati South • Since Nov 2006 • 489 posts Report Reply

• andin,

And who could fail to agree that The Herald on Sundayis a sheltered workshop for the journalistically challenged?

That or the newsroom at TVNZ7, which ruins an otherwise lovely little channel except for some of the reruns from however many years ago.

Note to programmers look at what you program in realtime BEFORE you decide to put it to air.

Who knew Backbenches could be (at times) such a delight, oh and of course that other program, name slips my mind at present.

raglan • Since Mar 2007 • 1891 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

hmmm...Ben I hope you get a lot of painful spam from people selling saunas.

A poetic fate for someone who appreciates seeing more of women than the tip of their nose? Except for the fact that every sauna I've ever been in is full of mostly naked men.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

I got to explore the Oakley Creek path last week going uphill It was lovely, I was pretty much totally alone in the wilderness, cruising along quietly, heart at a pleasant 110 rpm, mind calm and focused on seeing everything, scenery and hazards alike. Downhill would be nicer for normal bikes, but every downhill has a corresponding uphill at the end ...

I love the Oakley Creek path -- it's just tricky enough to keep things interesting, although I'm not game to come down the side of the steps at the New Lynn end.

But it doesn't really have an uphill and a downhill as such, does it? And doesn't it rather defeat the point of riding an off-road track to be assisted on the slopes? Getting up Chinaman's Hill on the way to work in the morning though, sure ...

One of the ironies of riding around these parts is that the NW motorway cycle path is level and smooth for miles westward, but from the Springs to the city it turns into Kingsland back streets and has some quite steep hills, including a nasty little slope right at the end, which still only leaves you at the lowest point of Newton Road. Great for exercise, sucks for commuting.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

If it comes to that, Jack Elder should be popping in any moment to tell you that he is a responsible lycra-clad citizen...

Yes, I can't believe that there was a post that featured me being mentioned in the original blog entry, an extended discussion on cycling, and reminiscences of the NZ expat scene in Tokyo in the early 90s... and I completely missed it. Honestly, the only other of my buttons that I can think of that someone could have pushed is if it descended into a debate about carnivorous plants. Mind you, the reason I missed it is that I spent most of Friday in Paekakariki being tattooed, so it's all good.

Cyclists in lycra: because it's a pain in the neck having shorts flapping around your things while you pedal. Plus, you get to pretend you know what you're doing. Plus, it's great for discommoding co-workers while you sit around in the gimp suit waiting for the office shower to come free.

Cycling on the pavement: I've been commuting by bike for, ooh, years. I'd far rather be on the road. On the pavement you get pedestrians, kids running out unexpectedly, fragments of broken glass, cars pulling out of driveways and not looking for fast traffic, potholes, etc. I've seen (and had) far more accidents on shared paths than on the road.

Joanne - I was in Tokyo '87-91, and I'm pretty sure that I remember you guys arriving. We departed shortly afterwards (like, about 2 weeks), though.

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

Whoops. things=thighs. Bit Freudian there, sorry. Mind you, the point is the same.

• Rich of Observationz,

Cyclists in lycra

I reckon that given enough time I could prove that between making the Lycra from hydrocarbons and washing it to ensure that it isn't unacceptably smelly, Lycra clad cyclists emit more carbon per km than a 50cc scooter.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• st ephen,

Whoops. things=thighs. Bit Freudian there, sorry. Mind you, the point is the same.

Heh heh. "Point". He said "Point". heh heh.

dunedin • Since Jul 2008 • 254 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

But it doesn't really have an uphill and a downhill as such, does it?

It does if you want to get home again.

And doesn't it rather defeat the point of riding an off-road track to be assisted on the slopes? Getting up Chinaman's Hill on the way to work in the morning though, sure ...

It's just a different way. For a hardcore offroader, I imagine slogging uphill is a large part of the point, but for me, it 'defeats the point' because I ride for pleasure, not pain. It's still exercise, I'm just in control of how intense it gets, something which is very difficult in Auckland.

I totally agree about the NW route, and have been researching heavily on Google Maps any alternatives for both me and the council. One bright spark online noted that you can do a left at the motorway underbridge and follow a cycle path that is much flatter on the other side of the motorway. But there's still no getting around a stiff ascent into the city at some point. It is kind of strange that the cycleway doesn't just continue to hug the motorway, which is totally flat, all the way to Newton bridge, but I notice that private properties come really close to the motorway at that point, maybe they just couldn't afford to buy the space yet. Another note which totally eluded me until I actually went online, was that the cycle route does not end at Newton Bridge. It sweeps down and under the bridge, and ends at Upper Queen St, which is a much nice place to be on a bike than the bottom of Newton Rd. Google maps Street view is my new best buddy. But it's still an ascent. Hence my choice of power assistance. If I had to use my muscles, I probably wouldn't do it at all.

• st ephen,

Love this idea that anyone who rides a bike on the road has to accept that these days roads are dangerous places full of vehicles in a hurry to get places, and since cyclists are the ones who will come off worst if something goes wrong, they must shoulder most of the responsibility blah blah blah.

Different story with our happy drunk friend Lisa from the ALAC ad, apparently... ;-)

dunedin • Since Jul 2008 • 254 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

I reckon that given enough time I could prove that between making the Lycra from hydrocarbons and washing it to ensure that it isn't unacceptably smelly, Lycra clad cyclists emit more carbon per km than a 50cc scooter.

I suspect it would take about 10 minutes to counter prove that your argument is well and truly outweighed by the increased carbon used to make a scooter over a bicycle.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Any car driver who tosses bottles out onto the road is
    a)a hoon

-all other labels (irresponsible idiot, munter, shitforbrains, fuckwit)
    are covered therein-

I used to have a mate that would toss empty beer cans over the roof of the car from the drivers seat as he meandered to or from anywhere he happened to be.
    I anybody and I mean anybody, who dared to attempt to chastise him for this behaviour he would berate them for denying small furry animals the right to a modern home.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

One bright spark online noted that you can do a left at the motorway underbridge and follow a cycle path that is much flatter on the other sideof the motorway.

From memory, I think it ends at Bond St, which isn't all that helpful.

Another note which totally eluded me until I actually went online, was that the cycle route does not end at Newton Bridge. It sweeps down and underthe bridge, and ends at Upper Queen St, which is a much nice place to be on a bike than the bottom of Newton Rd.

You know, I never knew that you could continue under the bridge there. It's really not obvious.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

<sp> If anybody </sp>
    <grr>
    Now, where is that frugin' EDIT BUTTON? </grr>

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

JackElder, I totally agree on the dangers of riding fast on a the pavement. But even with power assist, I'm not going fast up steep hills, so the pavement is suddenly my friend. I'm no more at risk than any pedestrian. And there is broken glass in every gutter, I put that down to street sweeping machines.

• JackElder,

And fair play Ben - I ride home up the Ngauranga Gorge in Wellington, and _everyone_ rides on the pavement there, from the serious lycra fast-boys to the grannies on shopper bikes. And indeed, cyclepaths aren't always the worst places to ride - I do ride along the cyclepath along the Old Hutt Road, because there's very little foot traffic and a lot of cars doing 100k two inches past your right elbow if you ride on the road. On the other hand, I ignore the cyclepath around Oriental Bay, because there's actually quite a lot of room on the road and otherwise you're competing with a lot of pedestrians.

That's one of the great things about cycling - being able to choose which of the route options suits you at any given point. ;)

• BenWilson,

From memory, I think it ends at Bond St, which isn't all that helpful.

Depends where you are going. Gets you to the corner of Ponsonby/K-Road much more pleasantly and safely than trying to slog up Newton Rd from the off ramp.

You know, I never knew that you could continue under the bridge there. It's really not obvious.

Not intuitive at all. It actually makes me wonder if there would be any difficulty in just avoid the overbridge altogether and cutting the cyclepath straight through the reserve at the bottom of Ian McKinnon Drive. Would require a cycle crossing, or a cycle lane on the left of Ian McKinnon, but it would cut out a gnarly ascent, and save your legs, or my battery.

• Emma Hart,

Reasons to be cheerful. My kids have voluntarily gone outside. They're sitting out at our picnic table in the shade, all dressed in black, playing some kind of Worms-variant on the boy's MacBook. Every time I look out there I giggle. I'd photograph them but they'd get pissy.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Another reason - that rare beast, local political satire done well.

‘I usually let John sleep at the foot of the bed,’ a visibly distraught English told reporters at an afternoon press conference. ‘But lately he’s been whining and scratching at the door every ten minutes so last night I made him sleep in the laundry. We were up late reading Pacific Forum briefings so it was only for a few hours.’

‘Maybe he knew he was getting wormed tomorrow,’ suggested Health Minister Tony Ryall. ‘We kept it secret but the sneaky little bugger has a sixth sense about these things.’

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I'd photograph them but they'd get pissy.

I got a good one of my grandmother one year ( no mean feat. I tell you) I thought lovely shot of her in the garden. Instead I got the 90 something coming at me with the spade. I was informed that she believed the spirit is diminished every time a shot of her was stolen. Still, I like the photo, spade an' all.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Another reason - that rare beast, local political satire done well.

See, I got, funny.. haha... amusing... wait! I know him! You can't do that!

Guess it's all perspective.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

I got a good one of my grandmother one year ( no mean feat. I tell you) I thought lovely shot of her in the garden. Instead I got the 90 something coming at me with the spade. I was informed that she believed the spirit is diminished every time a shot of her was stolen. Still, I like the photo, spade an' all.

I'm afraid I'm a ruthless photographer. I give people a choice - let me take the photo of you doing whatever you're doing, or you muck it up with stupid faces, in which case you're the person that looks like a twat in perpetuity, and it's no skin off my nose. Usually works, I find. And I have the opposite problem with the children I teach. They are merciless in their posing, and hamming it up for the camera. They quickly learn, however, that I only do "natural". On the other hand, I'm not very photogenic so I do not like photos taken of me. Which is too bad, really, since there are 90 kids where I work who love taking photos, and somehow the teachers remain their favourite subjects.......

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

Instead I got the 90 something coming at me with the spade.

It's probably bad that story made me think of this shot of my cat - closely followed by me dropping the camera and running.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I do not like photos taken of me. Which is too bad, really,

But were they not your sexy little legs I saw in one of your posts re that wee dog you have worked so hard with? Anyway, the nice thing with digital is we delete as we see fit, and 'tis a good skill for which all can learn. :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.