Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Mac Ouch

154 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Lucy Stewart,

It depends on your tolerance for full-frontal blue demi-God, I suppose -- but I do think you've got to acknowledge the production values across the board are wonderful. The cast, for the most part, are better than is strictly necessary... but the whole exercise ultimately felt like going to geek church.

The opening montage, in particular, was an absolute piece of brilliance - in fact, I enjoyed the use of music throughout the movie - and I second the comment about the cast, who were in general very goodl. (Nixon's prosthetic nose distracted me a little in all his scenes, but oh well.)

My main problem was pacing; the move worked very well until about the prison sequence, and then got a bit flustered until it pulled together for the end. There were also some plot elements that didn't work for me, mostly involving how much everyone tolerated from the Comedian, but I'll hold judgement until I've gone back and read the original text, I think. I would have liked the sex and violence to have been toned down about 50% - I'm surprised it got away with an R16 rating, really - but that's just me and my severely low tolerances for both those things on screen. Overall I'm very glad I went to see it in the theatre, it was worth it even at today's prices.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

I think. I would have liked the sex and violence to have been toned down about 50%

Call me a prude, if you must, but I thought the attempted rape of Sally Jupiter was one thing that didn't need to be expanded from the book. And was the sex scene between Dan and Laurie in the OwlShip intended to have the audience laughing hysterically?

And that ending? Epic fail.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Lucy Stewart,

Call me a prude, if you must, but I thought the attempted rape of Sally Jupiter was one thing that didn't need to be expanded from the book.

It did seem in there for the shock value - I mean, we've seen this guy *shoot* a woman *pregnant with his child*, we don't need a graphic rape scene to establish that he is a nasty piece of work, thanks. And given that this is the only time we see Sally in any sort of fight, it served to largely diminish her as a hero, which I didn't like, either.

And was the sex scene between Dan and Laurie in the OwlShip intended to have the audience laughing hysterically?

There was some small amusement value to be derived in counting the number of orgasm faces Laurie made, but otherwise I just found it boring.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report

• Sacha,

They're doing it wrong?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.