Cracker by Damian Christie

Read Post

Cracker: In Which DC Becomes a Twat

70 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• giovanni tiso,

I reall enjoy the people who twittered in the crowd in Napier during the test match with their little whiteboards - that's a clever use of the medium, by golly.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Joanna,

"becomes"? I do not think you know what this word means...

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 746 posts Report Reply

• Robyn Gallagher,

My advice for people new to Twitter is to just create and account, follow some people you know, and just go with the flow. Soon enough you'll figure out how you're going to use Twitter (cos everyone has their own experience).

Also, I'm so over 34. I'm eagerly awaiting 35 so I can amp up my twatmanship.

Since Nov 2006 • 1946 posts Report Reply

• Robyn Gallagher,

Which, by the way, I tweeted about last night.

Since Nov 2006 • 1946 posts Report Reply

• Paul Brislen,

Dive on in Damien... it's the only way. Twitter is 99% rubbish but the last 1% more than makes up for it. Real time news dissemination at its finest. You'll find out about big events sooner on Twitter than on traditional news sites...

I watched the US election results come in on my PC (work time, y'know). Three tabs open - BBC, CNN and Twitter. I would see a result posted on Twitter (a re-tweet of a re-tweet from someone close to the action) and would wait to confirm it (and it always was confirmed) some time later on CNN (BBC was for the international flavour and the historical stuff which it did exceptionally well).

These days I find out about stuff first on Twitter by a long chalk. Even obvious stuff like the Reserve Bank dropping interest rates - it's a good 15 minutes ahead of the news sites.

Plus you meet a nicer class of people.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 200 posts Report Reply

• Isabel Hitchings,

I'm fairly sure that 35 is at least 10 years too young to be middle-aged. And I'm going to keep telling myself that.

Christchurch • Since Jul 2007 • 719 posts Report Reply

• Deborah,

40 is middle-aged. You have five years to go.

Disclosure: I'm 43.

New Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 1447 posts Report Reply

• Paul Brislen,

I'm 40.

72 is middle aged.

• Paul Brislen,

And this Just To Hand (via Twitter, of course): TVNZ cracks down on social media use at work:

http://www.throng.co.nz/tvnz/tvnz-blocks-staff-use-facebook

How does one enlinken links on this here blog...

quote:
    "As part of TVNZ’s response to the recession, restrictions are now being put on access to some social websites. Provision of bandwidth is an increasing cost to the company and high volume usage on social networking websites impacts on our bandwidth availability for core business activities i.e. the consumer experience on tvnz.co.nz and ondemand. The restrictions will be active from Wednesday March 18th and will apply between the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours, please use your judgement on appropriate personal use.

The websites that will be blocked are: Facebook, Bebo, Ebay, Zillion, Trademe, Gumtree."

• Tony Kennedy,

72 is the new twennies

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 225 posts Report Reply

• Paul Brown,

I'm 60, working 16hr days in Rio and starting to feel that perhaps middle age is coming earlier than expected. I did get off the station at Facebook too.

My father is 93 though, and into email and Skype.

Piha • Since Nov 2006 • 19 posts Report Reply

• Damian Christie,

I guess the point is Paul, when you get to my age, I reckon another 15 minutes to get my news ain't gonna hurt me none ...

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1164 posts Report Reply

• Peter Darlington,

@twitter

Christie's on board guys, Twitter's officially dead.

Nelson • Since Nov 2006 • 949 posts Report Reply

• simon g,

Step away from the twitter, sir. Put it down now.

The death toll in the Victorian bushfires has today been revised from 210 to 173. You see, it's worth waiting a month for the news. Who needs more misery, faster, falser?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1333 posts Report Reply

• Paul Brislen,

But I'm a news junkie! I want it now! I don't want to wait to know, I want to be the guy people say "how'd you know this stuff before everyone else?".

I love it. More, sooner, faster. Now now now.

You TV journo types... it's all about "we'll get to it when we're good and ready". It's not news if someone else has already told me.

• giovanni tiso,

I guess the point is Paul, when you get to my age, I reckon another 15 minutes to get my news ain't gonna hurt me none ...

Word. If the excitement of Twitter was finding out about cash rates movements 15 minutes before other people, that'd be seriously quite sad.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Paul Brislen,

But that's only one part of it. Take the bush fire example - it's not that the initial news around the number of dead was wrong, it's that you can use Twitter to give you real time updates on where the fire is right now, as it turns.

But hey, it's not for everyone. Believe me, I didn't want to get involved in the first place but having been dragged into it I can see its value both as a support mechanism and as an information dissemination channel, one that operates far faster than any other medium around today.

And given its growth rate, I'd say there's plenty of interest in getting information now rather than in fifteen minutes (or an hour, or six hours, or not at all).

• Morgan Davie,

Curse you mr christie. I just signed up to twitter thanks to this. It was your warning that I would one day be "mrg.an177775" if I didn't act now that did it.

I mean, i have an account on Hoffspace. i don't have any credibility left to lose.

Also, I now get to follow Christopher Walken.
    http://twitter.com/cwalken

Wellington • Since May 2008 • 36 posts Report Reply

• Joanna,

You're all missing the point. Twitter is awesome because if I didn't have internet on my phone, it would still let me update the internet via text message to tell the world how drunk I am at a particular point in time. That is all.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 746 posts Report Reply

• Morgan Davie,

Except that was a fake christopher walken!
    I just got double stuffed!

Wellington • Since May 2008 • 36 posts Report Reply

• Paul Brislen,

but you can chat with the real Stephen Fry... or the real Neil Gaiman... or the real, well just about any of them really.

Twitter is (I'll try not to overstate it too much) one of the best new tools for journalists available today. Up there with mobile phones, an ability to remember details while drunk and an expense account.

Have a look at:

http://www.journalism.co.uk/7/articles/531439.php

for some examples.

I'm constantly surprised by what I can learn from reading Twitter and by how quickly what I write gets passed around.

• Paul Brislen,

and if real time isn't your thing, how about this photo:

http://twitpic.com/135xa

which is why Twitter works summed up in a frame.

• Richard Irvine,

The best Twitter explaination I've heard is 'CB radio for nerds'.

Or, this video should clear everything up.

Auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 242 posts Report Reply

• Don Christie,

I'd love twitter as a client. There is none of this 24*7 availability, 99.9999999999% uptime shit. They *know* the Internet is flaky and when the site needs a rest they stick up a pretty picture, and let it rest.

What could be more reasonable :-)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1645 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

why Twitter works summed up in a frame

Hard to argue with that - if I had a web-connected phone. Old styles, I know, but I'll get there. Was very impressed observing the twittering at #kiwifoo close up, and subsequently checked #webstock and #blackout with interest.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.