165 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Caleb D'Anvers,

Blast!

:)

London SE16 • Since Mar 2008 • 482 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Cheers Jack/Caleb
    There was IIRC a website for the fictitious show to promote the "Nathan Barley" series which was, most definitely, safe for work or even, Yo Mama's house. Sadly removed from teh nets.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

most definitely,...NOT.... safe for work </edit>

• Steve Barnes,

Oh. If anyone has tickets to the next Jeremy Eade V Jake Pollock fight can you Twat me?

• JackElder,

http://trashbat.co.ck/.

Let's see you get in faster than that, D'Anvers!

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

• Lyndon Hood,

While I know nobody can compete with Rabelais either for scatology or for long lists of things:

A knave, a rascal, an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking, whoreson, glass-gazing, super-serviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pander, and the son and heir to a mongrel bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining if thou deni'st the least syllable of thy addition.

is a reasonable effort from Shakespeare. Perhaps inappropriate in this case, as the threats of beating usually go the other way.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1115 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

I'm talking about the taboo value of words ,not trying to remedy urban america, although i applaud those who do.

I think Jake's point was that "the taboo value of words" is strongly linked to urban, and race historically in America.

And running around using any old word you want without having an awareness of their history, and what you look like using the word, is likely to have interested consequences.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Jake Pollock,

Jeremy, you jobbernol goosecap, my point was that growing up in a culture steeped in this particular form of racial politics is different from hearing it through the stereo and seeing it on the TV screen, as much as we might (and should) celebrate black culture in all its awesomeness.

What I'm saying is that the word 'nigger' has so much power in the US precisely because of the context in which it is spoken. I agree with you, the word is taboo. It has a great deal of power, and, as you say, the power is not in the word itself, but in all of those historical and current problems that we agree exist in the United States. We can know about them overseas, but that's not the same thing as living it as a day to day, real experience, as Americans do. We might, as outsiders, appreciate the cultural products, and understand the context in which that art is produced, and in which that racism occurs, but that's not the same thing as growing up in it, and being shaped by it.

But it's that context that makes it taboo. When you use this word in New Zealand, you're not really reclaiming a taboo word, because it's only a taboo word in an abstract sense, it's the taboo word of a foreign culture. The context is different.

Honestly, I have no interest in censoring you, or anyone.

Raumati South • Since Nov 2006 • 489 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Peter Hoar: Project Gutenberg has Urquhart's translation of G & P online.

Coincidentally, just the other day I was looking up the bit where Gargantua expounds on the best means of wiping your bum.

I have no idea what Rabelais' French is like but Urquhart's English is hilarious. My daughter thinks so - I've got her hooked on it now.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Lyndon
    قد تكون موبوءة الآباط الخاصة بك من قبل البراغيث من الف الجمال

That is all I am prepared to say.

Oh. and dead on with the website chaps. I think.

• Caleb D'Anvers,

http://trashbat.co.ck/.

Let's see you get in faster than that, D'Anvers!

*Shakes fist*

London SE16 • Since Mar 2008 • 482 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

"Oh. If anyone has tickets to the next Jeremy Eade V Jake Pollock fight can you Twat me?"

hey you can have my ticket, front row apparently.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Jake....good points..i'm just saying for good or evil I hear these words creeping around...it's good to talk.

• Steve Barnes,

hey you can have my ticket, front row apparently.

Damn it, I wanted to dance. I'll have Mark Harris throwing twigs at me.
    ;-)

• Jeremy Eade,

You can hold the round cards up....as long as you wear your togs and smile.

• Islander,

Stephen J - my late uncle B was not a literary type (he was a roadworker, fisher, pighunter, and a damn good man) but he once asked me to get him a copy of 'that gargantuan thing?"

I did (after working the title out) - and he knew where to look for the perfect bumwiper page/s. They'd been discussing it on the local county council dumprun (yep, true) apparently - which gave me a whole new appreciation of what roadies may be discussing at any time...

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

I did (after working the title out) - and he knew where to look for the perfect bumwiper page/s. They'd been discussing it on the local county council dumprun (yep, true) apparently - which gave me a whole new appreciation of what roadies may be discussing at any time...

Wonderful story. Have you read Hrabal's Too Loud a Solitude?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Islander, I would love to know more of the Rabelaisian dustmen.

This is a nicer online version than Project Gutenbergs.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Damn it, I wanted to dance. I'll have Mark Harris throwing twigs at me.

Rofflenui

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

giovanni - read "Too Loud A Solitude"?- not yet! (but noted for near future consumption.)
    Stephen J- thank you for that bookmark (and I have.) I was saving Uncle B & his monk' wagon companions - but, as the old man's death becomes less painful (he died of emphysema at 80 - having started smoking ciggies as an 8yrold), I am thinking he'd like to know we remembered - stuff.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Damian Christie,

I know when I go off to the gym and a couple of appointments and there's 20 comments, and come back and there's nearly 100, that something completely off topic must have occurred - my posts just aren't that interesting.

Great to come back and catch up on the Great Nigger Debate. Ironically, while I was gone I was going around town with a camera offering people Eskimo lollies, to see if any would be offended enough not to eat them. Final tally?

9 takers - all Kiwis
    1 refusal - from some English bird. Obviously a lesbian or summat.

We love our lollies more than we care about racial slurs and pretty much anything else, as if we didn't already know that from the Tangy Fruits Riots of '08.

Jeremy Do you reckon you could use the < quote > (remove the spaces < /quote > thing when you're quoting? I got really confused there a few times. S'not compulsory or anything, but it does make life easier...

As you were

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1164 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

9 takers - all Kiwis
    1 refusal - from some English bird. Obviously a lesbian or summat.

I blame the weather.Kiwis are gettin' cold.Pomgolian used to it.:)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Littlewood,

Speaking of the "n" word debate. Here's two ( NSFW ) sketches from Chris Rock and Richard Pryor, who have their own take on that word.

The Richard Pryor is particularly revealing as it acknowledges hos own, rather conflicted, attempts to reclaim the word, none more so in the legandarily bitter Bicentennial N****er LP.

Today, Tomorrow, Timaru • Since Jan 2007 • 449 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

The thing with the Eskimos is... 'interesting'. Because, y'know, two minutes research after watching an episode of QI and you find this...

In Canada and Greenland, the term Eskimo has fallen out of favour, as it is considered pejorative by the natives, and has been replaced by the term Inuit. However, while Inuit describes all of the Eskimo peoples in Canada and Greenland, that is not true in Alaska and Siberia.

<B>In Alaska, the term Eskimo is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik and Inupiat, while Inuit is not accepted as a collective term</b> or even specifically used for Inupiat (which technically is Inuit). No universal replacement term for Eskimo, inclusive of all Inuit and Yupik people, is accepted across the geographical area inhabited by the Inuit and Yupik peoples.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

The thing with the Eskimos is... 'interesting'

Plus, you can still buy Eskimo Pies in North America. Let them sort their own house first, eh?

(Yes, I know Canada != America, but c'mon, it's close enough in this case)

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.