Up Front by Emma Hart

Read Post

Up Front: I Have Been and Always Shall Be Your Fangirl

82 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Hadyn Green,

I saw Trek last night and part way through I leaned over to Amy and whispered, "you know, I'm really enjoying this"

I can't remember the last Trek film I actually enjoyed. Maybe The Voyage Home, but I was a kid then (though I still use Scotty's "hello computer" line).

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

The Green Onion Slave Girl is a Trekkie?!?!?!?!

How were we to know?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• philipmatthews,

Yikes. I hate all things Star Trek but you might have talked me into it.

Despite what most critics thought, Abrams didn't do a bad Mission:Impossible either.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2007 • 656 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

The Green Onion Slave Girl is a Trekkie?!?!?!?!

How were we to know?

Next week: I quite like the internet.

I can't remember the last Trek film I actually enjoyed. Maybe The Voyage Home, but I was a kid then (though I still use Scotty's "hello computer" line).

I did really enjoy six. There was something about mad eye-patched Klingons quoting Julius Caesar that really worked for me.

I have wondered how much this film will make sense for my kids, who haven't seen any Trek past a couple of OS episodes they hated.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Josh Addison,

As always, John Rogers talks clever-like (somewhat spoilery).

Onehunga, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 298 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

I'm remembering your Whedon teeshirt from Foo.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Gareth Ward,

I'm no trekkie (I sat threw the first bit going "huh, I thought Vulcan was in the other movies?") but really enjoyed it too.
    When the "big twist" started to emerge, I thought "this is going to be the worst deux ex machina ever possibly ever made ever". And it was. But it was turned into such a decent story that I had to tip the hat.

And Ensign Ricky. Man. Laughed my ass off (probably one of the few in jokes I got).

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

As always, John Rogers talks clever-like (somewhat spoilery).

Oo, that's brilliant, and he's absolutely right. (But, really spoilery.) I need to be able to talk about this in spoilery terms at some point, but it'll be after jsr's been to see it, that's for sure.

• Kyle Matthews,

Second chilling detail: this would be Star Trek XI.

What? How did we get from 4 when I was a teenager to 11? Did some go straight to video? I vaguely remember 3 or 4 slipping by, but 6?

though I still use Scotty's "hello computer" line

As someone who does tech support both at work, and pretty much every time I'm near my girlfriend or parents, I use that line all the time. It's picking up the mouse to say it that makes or breaks it though.

Umm, no not geeky at all!

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

I'm remembering your Whedon teeshirt from Foo.

Heh, sure you are. Hoping to take that to Auckland again soon.

• Jacqui Craig,

Thank you for reassuring me that I can go and not want to poke my brian out with a stick afterweards. I had a massive crush on Spock as a pre-teen and I think I still do oh so many decades later! Of all the reviews I've read yours sounds like something I might write - after I've see the movie of course. I still remember acing some online "how well do you know the original Star Trek?" quiz and my husband of several years looking at me with mingled horror and awe in his eyes, completely unaware of this previously hidden side of me. Gotta keep 'em guessing ;)

Auckland • Since Apr 2007 • 28 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

Ensign Ricky

Also, note the Extreme Kirk Mince in that picture.

That site claims the joke started here, but whether it did or not that site is still fun, especially the Firefly comparison.

Thank you for reassuring me that I can go and not want to poke my brian out with a stick afterwards.

That's the one, that's what I keep hearing. "Please tell me I won't spend an hour afterwards going 'and another thing' while my brain drowns in a sea of bile'.

Trek Fandom. It makes Whedon fandom look sane and relaxing.

• B Jones,

The guy you were crushing on at twelve is always going to have a special place in your heart.

Yup. Despite Westley objectively being a bit of a dickhead, I still have a bit of a thing for pirate shirts, black masks and English accents.

Trekkieness has always been a bit of a mystery to me, despite growing up completely immersed in most speculative pop-culture. Don't think I've ever watched a full episode of the original, TNG's appeal wore off pretty fast, and Enterprise gave me an attack of "ye canna change the laws of physics, even if it is exciting to rescue someone from an asteroid as if they were being held there by gravity as strong as Earth's". But from what I've heard I'd be prepared to give the new movie a go. Especially if they've solved the useless female character problem that even Tasha Yar couldn't obliterate in the face of the awful Deanna Troi.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 976 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

The Nitpicker's Guide for Classic Trekkers

Oh come ON. First Milly-Molly-Mandy Again , now this? I try not to believe in fates, but these levels of coincidence are... starting to freak me out.

Also, sorry, but I still can't see any sexual tension there.

Oh, I can. I leaned over to whisperingly note a particularly fraught moment to my husband, and just then the scene changed and Eric Bana said 'engage the drill'. I felt vindicated.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

especially the Firefly comparison

And yet again my workmates are wondering why I'm giggling.

Chain of command, can I haz one?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Eddie Clark,

Emma, I thought the best shout out was the guy doing the space jump in the red suit. I looked at my friend who I went with and we both knew he'd be dead within 4 minutes. Awesome.

Also, I wouldn't be worried about new kirk/new spock slash...

I'd be more worried about new spock/old spock slash. I bet it already exists! Scifi Intergenerational clone twincest fanfic: What the internet was invented for.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 273 posts Report Reply

• Peter Darlington,

It was very cool and we all enjoyed it. I thought Whedon - Firefly several times as well.

I particular liked the warp speed jumps, the whole cinema boomphed when they kicked it.

And we may have turned our 10 yr old into a Trekkie. He's been wandering around the house ever since doing the whole 'Live long and prosper' with the fingers thing.

Nelson • Since Nov 2006 • 949 posts Report Reply

• Millycent,

We bought our tickets with a great deal of trepidation and it was great! Loved the hat tips to previous movies and storylines, though had to avert my eyes for that Wrath of Khan moment... Oooh, hard to describe without giving it all away!

What a fantasic Vulcan he makes...!

huh? • Since Mar 2009 • 3 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

That didn't mean I wasn't aware of its flaws. All Trekkies are,

For me it was the stitching, sometimes the chest insignia looked like the badges on my boy scout shirt, bad tension and puckering, and the action gussets on Cap'n Kirk's shirts were always set to rip at the drop of a gauntlet... Get Ngila on the job.
    I mean this was the future surely fabric science had moved ahead?
    Still I tuned in for the weekly perils of going against the grain - but I'm biased.

They never did find that missing Bosun Higgs did they?

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Russians still apparently can't pronounce their vs, even Russians called Pavel Andreivich Chekov.

And while it was the cheapest laugh ever, I really did enjoy the computer not understanding WTF he was saying either.

Simon Pegg -- hilarious, though I could have done without the Ewok. Oh, and since I seem to be the only person alive who actually liked Enterprise (its the Next Generation I hate with a reason defying passion), I quite like the idea of Scotty being sent into exile for performing an unauthorised transporter experiment on a certain transporter-phobic Admiral's beloved pet beagle.

I mean this was the future surely fabric science had moved ahead?

We are talking about a future where a micro-mini and fuck-me boots on a starship doesn't raise all kinds of OSH flags. Or the lack of seatbelts.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

TNG's appeal wore off pretty fast

Here's my theory about that. 1987 wasn't exactly a year over-loaded with decent science fiction television, and along with the intense loyalty of the fans, the show got a pass it just didn't deserve for a lot of eye-wateringly bad production, writing and acting. Good will Enterprise didn't get (and was more deserving of IMNSHO) because the bar for genre television was welll and truly raised by Babylon 5, Deep Space Nine, Farscape, Stargate:SG1 before it started to cannibalise itself etc.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

because the bar for genre television was welll and truly raised by Babylon 5, Deep Space Nine, Farscape, Stargate:SG1 before it started to cannibalise itself etc.

Babylon 5 did really seem to have a lot of influence beyond how good it was in and of itself. Multi-episode and even multi-series plot arcs, better effects and a different conception of how alien aliens could be. (First appearance of Nero's ship I said to my partner 'they're being attacked by the Shadow').

I wanted to like Enterprise and there were some things I really liked (hello, Trip, fancy seeing you again in Stargate Atlantis) but it just wore as it went on and I got more and more irritated by their Vulcans that didn't behave like Vulcans.

and the action gussets on Cap'n Kirk's shirts were always set to rip at the drop of a gauntlet... Get Ngila on the job.

Ah, my 'wtf is with those shirts' rant. They didn't rip Kirk's shirt! All movie! I was appreciably disappointed.

• giovanni tiso,

Babylon 5 did really seem to have a lot of influence beyond how good it was

Or wasn't. I'm having painful flashbacks.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

What the flick?

They didn't rip Kirk's shirt! All movie!

sorry I ain't seen the new movie as yet - next Tuesday : )
    I was referring to misty eyed memories of TOS
    (which I hope means The Original Series)
    and not Talos Of Spock or somesuch

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

You do know that with this, it's not so much a matter of "leave the lens flar in" as "carefully and expensively create a lens flare on this shot so it looks like it was actually shot with a real camera, not entirely CGI", right?

I _love_ little digs in CG movies where they've carefully faked camera artefacts on the film. My current favourite is the shot in Madagascar 2 (disclaimer: I have young children) where the camera pans dollies up from under water, and as it breaks the surface you have drops of water running down the lens. On an entirely CG film. Lovely.

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.