Up Front by Emma Hart

Read Post

Up Front: I Have Been and Always Shall Be Your Fangirl

82 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Shay Lambert,

He's such a good actor.

He should know. He discovered Ben Affleck after all.

Auckland • Since May 2009 • 78 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

He should know. He discovered Ben Affleck after all.

And there we go, we're back to Team America . It's Friday, right?

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

Oh well since now we're talking Friday and Ben Affleck

not entirely safe for work

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

Yay, finally saw the film, which was a entirely excellent use of babysitting budget!

Wardrobe Whinge: The mustard, paprika, and cobalt uniform colour scheme singed my eyeballs, but was pretty canonical, I guess, although that waffle-weave fabric was a bit tragic.

Trousers altogether NOT tight enough, as noted by others; occasionally so painfully loose they might as well have gone ahead and acid-washed them while they were at it.

On the other hand (note to self): useful to know that women of the future are still very strict about matching lingerie.

Most Sensitive Deployment of a Lens Flare: the modesty-flare during the climactic moment of the escape-pod birth scene. Right on the hoo-ha. Awesome.

Inadvertent Saucy Hair Subtext: Spock and McCoy had the exact same 'do, only Spock combed his straight forward and our Karl messed his up with a bit of mousse. Brothers under the skin? Or under the sheets? Heh, I was piqued, anyway.

Special "Oh the Humanities" Award: One small step for a Comparative Linguist, one giant leap for hitherto underrepresented minority onscreen (except for that one movie where Helen Hunt was depicted "photocopying her dissertation"). Represent, Lt. Uhura!

Auckland, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 1472 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

[and a couple of possibly vaguely spoilerish observations, fair warning]

Laziest Screenwriting Hack: Oh, crap, how the hell do we intersect character A with storyline B? Ooh, I know, how about "A is chased by a ravening monster all the way to B?"

Because a trail of breadcrumbs or a perky bluebird skipping from tree to tree would have been trop de fromage .

Best New Pickup Line: "[Hey baby] I am a member of an endangered species [wanna help me repopulate?]."

Best Use of the "Stop the Elevator" Button in Screen History: oh yeah.

• Emma Hart,

Laziest Screenwriting Hack: Oh, crap, how the hell do we intersect character A with storyline B? Ooh, I know, how about "A is chased by a ravening monster all the way to B?"

Watching that chase scene, thinking 'man this is unnecessary'. Not just one ravening monster, mind, but two in quick succession. It was like they were nearly finished and then somebody found another truck full of money parked out back that needed to be blown on some completely gratuitous CGI.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

It was like they were nearly finished and then somebody found another truck full of money parked out back that needed to be blown on some completely gratuitous CGI.

They should have driven that truck full of money over to Wardrobe and spent it on some decent stretch fabric, yo.

I did wonder whether the duelling ravening monster scene was a tip of the hat to Jurassic Park, where the T Rex takes out the velociraptors? (A mummy T Rex, at that).

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.