Island Life by David Slack

Read Post

Island Life: Good on ya, Paula

491 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 10 11 12 13 14 20 Newer→ Last

• David Ritchie,

The post *was* one of my favourite things. Obviously the product of a state education.

Since Nov 2006 • 166 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

With those looks you don't really need to be educated, surely.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Idiot Savant,

And besides, when the choice presented itself to ratify the UN convention on children, Labour chose not to.

Que?

According to UNTC, NZ signed the Convention on the Rights of the Child on 1 October 1990, a month after it was opened for signature, and ratified it in 1993.

Methinks you're getting it confused with something else (the Disappearance Convention, perhaps?)

Palmerston North • Since Nov 2006 • 1717 posts Report

• Graeme Edgeler,

I/S - I believe the reference was to the second optional protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child (the one which prohibits, among other things, the sale of children). We've signed it, but not ratified.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report

• David Ritchie,

Dottore, you flatter me.

• George Darroch,

The International Non-Aggression and the Lawful Use of Force Bill has been drawn (HT I/S), so with any luck I'll get to say that the National and ACT Party support illegal wars soon too.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report

• Idiot Savant,

And while I'm embarrased to admit it, Gio has a point. I'm as hooked as anyone on cheap undies made in countries I know have less than ideal, to put it mildly, labour standards. Perhaps we all support slavery more than we'd like to own, George?

As I keep having to remind people: the definition of slavery is well-understood in international law. It means people who are owned, not people who are merely victims of poor labour standards. The language of the bill (and of the NZ Crimes Act) reflects that.

National voted last night that we should keep permitting goods made by slaves into the country. Oh, they said it was terrible and wrung their hands, but faced with a concrete opportunity to do something about it, they chose to do nothing (indeed, as george has pointed out, they chose not even to talk about it). If that is not support for slavery, what is?

• Graeme Edgeler,

I can't find primary sources regarding total funding distribution but the recent budget saw $35m *additional* funding for private schools (with 4% of students) vs. $320m for public schools -- a ratio of 2.65 : 1. Obviously this is largely meaningless without the totals but helps fan the fires.

Okay. That makes sense. Three times the amount of *new public funding* per student. There is no way, absolutely no way, that it is three times the public funding for each private student.

• Paul Litterick,

Thank you, David, and thank you, Giovanni. The figures for that piece came from QPEC.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report

• Graeme Edgeler,

Okay. Have now sourced numbers from Ministry of Education.

Total public funding of Private Schools in 2008 was:

$35.5m (operational funding).

Total $35,500,000

Total public funding of State Schools (excluding state integrated) was:
    $910.9m (operational funding)
    $2,778.0m (teacher salaries)
    $363.5m (property funding)

Total $4,052,400,000

Using your figure of 4% private students to work backwards we determine that privately-educated students getting just over one-fifth the funding of publicly-educated students. It appears you were out by a factor of fifteen.

• David Ritchie,

Only fifteen? I'm surprised.

• Steve Barnes,

Different funding, Steve.

I was talking about that other funding then wasn't I?
    ;-)

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Paul Williams,

Thank you, David, and thank you, Giovanni. The figures for that piece came from QPEC.

Paul, David, in the past, I've not found QPEC entirely reliable. Good that Graeme's clarified the matter.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report

• Graeme Edgeler,

But back to Taito Phillip Field...

From the Herald article "Jury retires in Phillip Field case:

Field has been remanded in custody while the jury deliberates.

WTF?

• Idiot Savant,

WTF indeed. Are they afraid he'll do a runner or something?

• Gareth Ward,

Hang on a bit there Graeme - those numbers are 2008 - given the budget boost stated, private school funding has doubled.

Now if we just compare operational funding and (to be conservative to the private schools case) presume all of the $320m went to operational funding of public schools, then private school operational funding is now 38% higher than public.
    If any of the $320m public money went into another one of your buckets then that percentarge is even higher.

Certainly public school gets a lot more money per student given that "we" pay their teacher salaries and property of course

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report

• Steve Barnes,

From the Herald article "Jury retires in Phillip Field case:
    Field has been remanded in custody while the jury deliberates.

It's the Herald, need I say more?
    Sounds much more betterer than "Field waits for verdict in comfy chair" I'm surprised the "reporter" didn't ask why we don't have younger juries.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Graeme Edgeler,

Hang on a bit there Graeme - those numbers are 2008 - given the budget boost stated, private school funding has doubled.

Certainly. Still a fair way short of three times, however. I believe it just caught them up with inflation, after the funding was run down over the nine years of Labour's Government (it was $35.1m in 1999).

private school operational funding is now 38% higher than public.

As private schools don't have operational funding distinct from salaries funding, I don't think that that's a fair complaint. It's just the budget line it comes out of; I'm entirely confident it is used for teacher salaries.

• Gareth Ward,

Man, if MoE can't bucket spending along consistent lines, how the hell am I meant to make irrelevant spreadsheets for the internets?

• Graeme Edgeler,

Apologies - there was a typo:

it was $36.8m in 1999.

• Gareth Ward,

Oh, and that number was well out - the $35m is across the whole budget period. Not an annual opex amount.

• Paul Litterick,

Good that Graeme's clarified the matter.

Apples and pears. What is the funding per student? Of course state schools will get more than private, because there are many more students in public education.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report

• George Darroch,

In the midst of this, there are real stories. Not horror stories, just stories about how things were acceptable when they might otherwise have been pretty uncomfortable.

I think that the response of a proportion of the population cannot be characterised as anything other than "why aren't those beneficiaries suffering? How dare they live decent lives?".

It isn't about the good of anyone, it isn't about what's good for society - it's the need to feel like the money coming from their pockets is saving those receiving benefits from absolute privation, but not more.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report

• David Slack,

I'm trying to recall if the beneficiary-bashing was as prevalent or as vehement in the early 1990s. I think not. To be sure, it was a very different Internet then, but Leighton Smith was there every morning at 8.30 am...

Devonport • Since Nov 2006 • 599 posts Report

• Gareth Ward,

A quick back-of-the-napkin suggests that private students get maybe 10% more in "operational funding". Public students get about four-times the total amount. Per student.

(I'll take a different line to Graeme and suggest operational funding for each may be the same things across both (given that it's a pretty specific term for MoE))

First ←Older Page 1 10 11 12 13 14 20 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.