Southerly by David Haywood

Read Post

Southerly: Seventy per cent Monteith's, Thirty per cent Music

69 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Emma Hart,

How Then Should I See It is clearly the "great song" of the piece (musically, shades of Voom's Beth), but I Found Out is stacking up as my favourite.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I have, however, only listened to it on a beautiful Christchurch day. Things may be different on the compulsory 2am stormy night listen.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• mark taslov,

I love this music, evocative of a simpler truer time. Keep rollin'.

Te Ika-a-Māui • Since Mar 2008 • 2281 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

Also, after this and half an hour weeding in the sun, I'm now craving a Celtic Red...

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Jake Pollock,

If I recall correctly David, you still owe me a beer for my recommendation of the Anthology of American Folk Music to soothe Bob's country music yearnings. I've listened to this EP twice, and consider the debt settled (unless of course you're going to be in Auckland between December and March). Thank you. I'm pleased to hear that Bob has moved on to TMBG -- I didn't get into them until I was at least 14. Careful though, because at this rate he'll be into Tom Waits by the time he starts school, which is recipe for a hard life.

Also, the frailing in the intro to the second track reminds me a bit of Your Rocky Spine by the Great Lake Swimmers. They're a bit hipster country, but rather pleasant for it.

Raumati South • Since Nov 2006 • 489 posts Report Reply

• Julian Melville,

Oh, melikey. Nice work!

Auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 200 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Actually, if you listen to 'River vs Sea' through headphones (and listen carefully), you can hear Blair's neighbour idling his engine. The neighbour wanted song-writing credit and we had to get our lawyers to sort him out.

I must be deaf, I thought it sounded crystal clear. Perhaps the idling did add something after all, an ambient rumble that harmonized at a deep inner westie level for me.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• David Haywood,

How Then Should I See It is clearly the "great song" of the piece (musically, shades of Voom's Beth), but I Found Out is stacking up as my favourite.

and:

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Interestingly, I'd been trying to persuade Blair (unsuccessfully) to drop 'I Found Out' from the E.P. So... ahem... I guess I was wrong.

If I recall correctly David, you still owe me a beer for my recommendation of the Anthology of American Folk Music to soothe Bob's country music yearnings.

You do indeed recall correctly, Jake. And Jen and I are still bloody grateful.

I will be in Auckland until December 6. Is there sufficient overlap for beer payment? If so, just me drop me a line here

Also, the frailing in the intro to the second track...

It's an F chord with a G note on the drone string -- which makes an F7 chord that sounds somehow less 7th-ish than usual. I thought it was an interesting place to start a song. So, apparently (and not via any Ihimaera-ish convolutions), have a few other people...

Dunsandel • Since Nov 2006 • 1156 posts Report Reply

The Anthology of American Folk Music

Probably the most important American music release ever (don't forget Vol. 4.)

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Bridle Path in action.

'How Then Should I See it' is most enjoyable. But all are absolutely definitely fabulous.Thanking you people involved.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Judi Lapsley Miller,

needs more xylophone! ;-D

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 106 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

I'm sticking with the former, but your comparison with 'Beth' works for me.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• David Haywood,

Thanking you people involved.

You're welcome!

needs more xylophone!

Oh, Bob-the-Toddler was certainly very keen to contribute some glockenspiel.

• Steve Barnes,

:

Oh, Bob-the-Toddler was certainly very keen to contribute some glockenspiel

I wanna hear more Cow Bell...

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

needs more xylophone! ;-D

Cowbell!

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

And at 7pm, The Monteith's Sessions EP passes the download double-century ...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Judi Lapsley Miller,

I wanna hear more Cow Bell...

Well that goes without saying of course! But you haven't lived until you've heard a banjo-xylophone duet... now that's a moment worth savouring!

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 106 posts Report Reply

• Tony Parker,

To my surprise, Blair even remained unfazed when I declared that the frailing banjo was a sadly overlooked instrument in the New Zealand musical tradition

The banjo is much maligned instrument round here I feel. Mention banjo and you get the ignorant response of Deliverence comments. Here in Napier there's a youngish woman playing frailing banjo covering a more Americana side of things. Have played a bit with her at acoustic evenings I co-organise and it's one of the coolest things.

Of course there are the banjo jokes (well jokes that apply to instruments like banjos, accordians etc.)
    The difference between a banjo and an onion? No one cries when you cut up a banjo.
    Perfect pitch-Throwing a banjo in a skip without it touching the sides.

Anyhow congratulations on a job well done David. It sounds great.

Napier • Since Nov 2008 • 232 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Right. Nobody mention Bagpipes. OK?

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Kris V,

thrilled to see people mention The Eastern - one of my favourite local bands of all time...check out Jess on the banjo (she plays a mean slide guitar too) and Adam on the mandolin is a sight to behold (big guy, tiny instrument, it's gorgeous)... in fact they inspired me to make a radio documentary featuring them and some other Lyttelton musos earlier this year.
    Check it out - it's called "Harbour SouNZ" and is on next Sunday, November 15th on National Radio (on Spectrum, just after midday)

'scuse the pimping, I couldn't resist.. long time reader, hardly ever comment yadda yadda yadda ;-)

and congrats on the music-making - Monteith's is a good source of inspiration apparently

Shakeytown • Since Nov 2008 • 61 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

And at 7pm, The Monteith's Sessions EP passes the download double-century

We sent it out to some Dunedin musos last night on facebook, a couple of hours later my girlfriend had it recommended to her by someone three links along.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Don Christie,

Banjos are definitely white trash stuff. Why else would Nat Torkington play one:

And whilst I am here, will all you multi-talented folks just shut up. Please, shut up.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1645 posts Report Reply

• David Haywood,

Hey thanks for putting that clip up, Don -- I hadn't seen it before.

As a much crapper banjo player than Nat, I'd just like to point out that Nat achieves that most difficult thing for a picker (i.e. a bluegrass-style player) in that he doesn't overplay.

The man has taste as well as clever fingers (not to mention all that other stuff).

And hasn't Jenine (the singer) got a great voice? Is she available as a guest vocalist, I wonder?

True story about Jenine. I once had a brief conversation with her about how the habits of one generation get passed down to the next.

Jenine: "I've made a conscious effort to be completely different from my father."

Me: "What did your Dad do?"

Jenine: "He was a bassist and singer."

• David Haywood,

Hey, and thanks for spreading the word, Kyle. Much appreciated!

And I'll look forward to your doco, Kris V...

Also: I've already has cause Tony Parker's joke about banjo and onion a couple of times now. Y'know, in self-defence. Cheers for that, matey.

• Don Christie,

Is she available

I think I can safely speak for the Torkington clan here...for pop stars like yourself, always :-)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1645 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Must be a great blend. :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.