Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Still crazy after all these years

516 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 10 11 12 13 14 21 Newer→ Last

• Rich Lock,

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Yes, because being called 'hot and sweaty' is always soooo complimentary.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• recordari,

A rose by any other name would smell as sweat.

Or, his own sweat smells the best...

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
    Yes, because being called 'hot and sweaty' is always soooo complimentary.

Yes, because being compared to the night before, ( going back to pick up keys and phone with hang over) is always sooo complimentary

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

Seems TVNZ's Breakfast show is an anomaly then..

Dude, you're not suggesting they don't know?

I thought a dick was someone who quotes Shakespeare sonnets at parties.

But... I've done that. I'm now starting to wonder if I've done that to you. Also, if done right, I find that quite appealing.

[At this point, I got halfway through typing a sentence before realising it contained a massive, and massively filthy, double entendre. As you were.]

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

[At this point, I got halfway through typing a sentence before realising it contained a massive, and massively filthy, double entendre. As you were.]

Never mind ("Here's the Bollocks")
    Happens.
    Besides, wouldn't want to be squeaky clean all of the time now, would we?

• Russell Brown,

Everyone, and especially Emma, thanks.

Robbie: you've generally struck me as someone whose company I'd enjoy, someone I wouldn't mind having a beer with. I'd been meaning to unfreeze one of your old pseudonyms and ask if you'd like to come back. I'm glad you came back under your own name.

I know it must suck being singled out, but you do get yourself in trouble, and it's not unreasonable for people to object when you lash out or take the piss. It's not going to work if it continues.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Robbie Siataga,

Thanks Russell. Old habits diehard :)

Now back to this Bailey thing...

Bailey Kurariki is facing indecent assault charges following an incident last month.

The charges against the 20-year-old were laid after he allegedly exposed himself to two female journalists and groped them.

He is facing two charges of indecent assault towards a female over 16 and one of committing an indecent act, the Herald on Sunday reported.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3414435/Bailey-Kurariki-back-in-court

Should these accusers be outed ? I think so. I mean, there's no name supression, so why not ?

If i were rival newspaper or a champion of the underdog blogger type, i'd request their names and publish them replete with photos.

The whole thing reeks of a set up. As if Bailey hasn't got enough shit to deal with.

Since Feb 2010 • 259 posts Report Reply

• recordari,

Haha. I thought at the time 'this is ripe for some serious double entendre, ahh, whatev's'.

I'm not admitting to reciting Shakespeare to anyone other than my immediate family, but hey, memory fades.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

or a champion of the underdog blogger type, i'd request their names and publish them replete with photos.

God forbid, they could use a pseudonym eh Robbie ? ;)

• Robbie Siataga,

haha Sofie... a pseudonym is useful as in the 'jon swift' or 'tatiana' thing, to put opinions out there that need saying, even if its not what people want to hear. I use them to distance my family from what is said by me and about me.

The difference in the Bailey story is, these guys are paid journalists who supposedly put their names to stories as credible professionals. They should have reported the crime first and their company should publish their names if they've got nothing to hide.

As it is, it just looks like a set up because, what was the reason they went to his house for again ?

I'm hoping this blog might follow up

http://pacificeyewitness.org/2010/02/28/advocate-questions-nz-herald-on-sundays-judgement-after-female-staff-allege-violation/

• Russell Brown,

The whole thing reeks of a set up. As if Bailey hasn't got enough shit to deal with.

I tend to agree. There's little to suggest that the journalists' visit was made in good faith. They were looking for spectacle.

But I've refrained from naming them, because their employer has seen fit not to name them in the wake of a complaint to the police. In this context, they are, allegedly, victims of an indecent assault, and you need pretty good reasons to starting outing victims.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

The "Herald" has put it's name to this.

• Robbie Siataga,

So whats the process now?

Do these journos get called into court to give evidence and barring any name supression be photographed and named ? And if there is name supression, does whaleoil get all juiced about them as well or does it play into his right wing agenda to defend the anonymity of the free press in matters of brown youth crime ?

I'm wondering who made the complaint or did the police decide to investigate in the wake of the story being published ?

and if the charges get dropped for lack of evidence, do the reporters get 'Barbara Dreaver'd' after she got "Margaret Mead'd by some Samoan jesters ?

I'd like to hear Tapu Misa's thoughts on this one as she works for the herald. I just hope she wasnt one of the 2 women but even better i'd like to hear her interview Bailey to get his side of the story.

• Paul Litterick,

There's little to suggest that the journalists' visit was made in good faith. They were looking for spectacle.

I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt and treated as any other alleged victim of a sex crime should be treated. I find this talk of 'outing' them to be disturbing.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

I'd like to hear Tapu Misa's thoughts on this one as she works for the herald.

This has come up a few times. It's not The New Zealand Herald, but the Herald on Sunday. The two papers have separate editorial staffs and quite different cultures.

• Robbie Siataga,

So there wouldn't be a biting of the hand that feeds if Tapu went rabid on this story ?

I find this talk of 'outing' them to be disturbing.

Under normal circumstances it would be in the complainants interest to preserve their anonymity, but these 2 ladies went there to get a story they could put their names to and even took photos.

They owe it to the public to put their names to it now. It'll all come out in the wash anyway and the longer they leave it the worse of for them and their employers especially if the charges get dropped, as their story then becomes a slanderous piece of shit.

The fact is, Bailey has already been trialled and convicted by the two reporters in the media. So wheres the justice and impartiality of innocent til proven guilty ?

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I find this talk of 'outing' them to be disturbing.

I suspect (and correct me if not) that Robbie has a dilemma with fairness. I suspect that Robbie has a dilemma with unequal treatment given to brown skinned people because the statistics seem to show this. I think he may suspect that Junior is being picked on because he is brown. However, I do not think a slight a la Slater is appropriate. It is pointless to the situation until the court deals with this, then it could be relevant. To surmise meanwhile is IMO just as tacky.

• Robbie Siataga,

Fair enough Sofie. But ask yourself, would these journos have done the same thing if it were not 'NZ's youngest convicted killer' ?

Say it was a sporting hero, an ex all black lock on holiday in fiji. Would they publish an anonymous story claiming sexual abuse without first letting the police and courts go through the motions ?... i doubt it very much.

They made this story about them and as such should be identified in much the same manner as they identified Bailey, with no corroborating police evidence before the publication.

fair's fair and everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt before trial by and conviction by the media.

So who's picking these ladies will get name supression ?

• Sofie Bribiesca,

So who's picking these ladies will get name supression ?

Really don't know or care for that matter but I do hope Bailey will get all the help he needs to deal with all his troubles. We seem to have a lot of kids who fall through the cracks and our safety nets fail them. Too many, too often. It breaks my heart to hear of this shit daily. There is no reasonable excuse in this country (or I'll suggest any other) to abuse, and time and time again, another kid is at breaking point. That is the outrage.

• Sacha,

Recordari, thank for the nostalgia - used to love playing that track and hadn't heard it for ages.

Dude, you're not suggesting they don't know?

Just not held accountable. I detest Henry and his enablers because they know all too well the conflict they stir up and no one forces them to give a stuff about the consequences for others who, surprise surprise, are different than their bland smug selves. Cowardly bullies should not have a platform like telly.

Robbie, thanks for the Dreaver decision link - I didn't remember that was even still going on. Worth a read, and reflects the culture of TVNZ as much as that one person.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Robbie Siataga,

s'all good Sacha, it seems the culture of protecting one's own kind is rife in the media.

I mean, is it me or has a dangerous precedent been set here ?

2 journos corroborating each others story can now make serious sexual assault claims against a named person, with no history or previous record for these types of charges, in the media, while remaining anonymous themselves and prior to the charges being investigated through the appropriate channels ?...and no one says BOO ?

So who's next on the smear list ?... because even if the shit doesnt stick, the smell lingers for ages !

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Anyone could do that.

• Robbie Siataga,

yeah, but not everyone has access to a compliant media. Its the fact that it's an inside job with closed ranks that makes it scary.

• Rich Lock,

I thought a dick was someone who quotes Shakespeare sonnets at parties.

But... I've done that.

Was it in the original Klingon, though?

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Here you go Robbie

First ←Older Page 1 10 11 12 13 14 21 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.