Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: That Summer!

109 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Raymond A Francis,

Jack, it can be done in one day but there are a fair number (12-13)of country pubs to go past
    Also the surface is gravel, mostly good but occassional poor, best days average speed (excluding rehydration stops etc) 18kph

45' South • Since Nov 2006 • 578 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Jack, it can be done in one day but there are a fair number (12-13)of country pubs to go past

So it's basically a fortnight then to do it properly?

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Christopher Dempsey,

Definitely.

Parnell / Tamaki-Auckland… • Since Sep 2008 • 659 posts Report Reply

• webweaver,

Sending a virtual hug back to Islander - for completely understanding the power of childhood memories.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 332 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Chocks away...
    Growing up in Sydenham, I had a wealth of kid-friendly food manufacturers nearby - The Coca Cola factory was just three doors down on Orbell St, Ballins over on Carlyle st, Boons Bakery over by Bradford park / Colombo St, The Tip Top factory on Cass St, Mr Whippy in Sandyford st, just along from United Fisheries, the smell of Mint Sauce wafting from the Boss Sauce factory in Wordsworth st, and over the railway tracks up Montreal St was the motherlode - Aulsebrooks. After Easter was over, cheeky kids could go along and get amongst the left over chocolate from around the egg mold, and bags of broken animal biscuits (with thick icing covering the whole front not just a hint like these days...) - if one went to the Tip Top Factory at the end of the day, one could "help" get rid of the damaged icecreams from the delivery trucks, the factory manager at Coke would let local kids have a free bottle every week and one could get a damaged hot loaf of bread from Boons on the way home from scouts - and at home we had a quarter acre with walnuts, raspberries, gooseberries, blackcurrants, all the standard veges in a huge garden and chooks of course...
    - fool filling Summer days indeed!
    Really, I should be obese ....

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Are there good biking day-trips at particular points? I can see that being a good solution to varying expectations of challenge on the trail.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Ian Dalziel - broken animal biscuits! Many of which were actually whole! (But with imperfect icing...) Me & sibs really loved those - and they were so cheap! (You could get a giant brownpaper bag for a shilling - 'giant'= enough to keep six kids utterly satisfied for their sugar ration for 2 days...)

Those were days when a shilling bought a dozen oysters & chips. Generally, abominably over-cooked...

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

my brother has MD - thankyou for your work during Bow Tie Week.

I meant to say, Christopher, that I did no work at all during Bow Tie week, really. Just hooked them up with Dad's old tie and turned up to see it regifted. In actual fact, it was all because of a dear friend of mine, who does alot of work for the MD peeps, and whose young son has Duchennes. She was the one who did all the work, behind the scenes. We were talking last night, and felt it was a great pity that there wasn't a press photographer on hand that night. Could have been good to have that publicity. Ne'er mind. It's all for the good.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Peter Darlington,

Are there good biking day-trips at particular points? I can see that being a good solution to varying expectations of challenge on the trail.

Pretty sure there are. Tama Easton from work here who's a bit of a bike fiend elected to do the driving when his whanau did it. Mainly so he could rip off to a couple of good downhill hellbenders that he knew about near by.

Nelson • Since Nov 2006 • 949 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.