Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Misadventure and Muppetry

96 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Kyle Matthews,

Can we talk about the fact that the Penguins won last year yet?

Shush. Go back to your internet wireless radio thingy. How 1950s of you.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Gareth Ward,

http://www.arc.govt.nz/council/news-and-events/regionwide-news/

Seems like a good-enough result for me. Necessary upgrade work gets done for any eventual permanent space, but Central Govt pays for their fancy tent.
    The focus on this cruise ship terminal as a definite eventual outcome kinda disappoints though

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Did you spot that the harbour views they're proclaiming will actually be blocked by two parked cruise ships? Unless they can make them conveniently transparent as in the artist's impression.

To say nothing of hurriedly knocking down more heritage buildings before integrated masterplanning is completed - because that respected urban design expert John Key declares they're rubbish.

And all to create a windswept plaza that removes people from existing alternatives and siphons revenue from loyal business ratepayers. I guess at least the cruise ships might act as good windblocks while enriching their foreign shareholders. Real ambitious.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

Unless they can make them conveniently transparent as in the artist's impression.

Arrrrgh, those not be transparent, they be ghost! ships! With the legion demon crew they call the CitRats, captained by The Foul Beast that goes only by the name Rodney, and a cargo of lost! souls!

They say that on a stormy night, with the wind in the right direction, you can hear the screams of the damned citizens of Auckland, forced to endure the fallout from half-baked urban planning decisions.... for all eternity!!!

Muwahahahahahahahaaaa!!!

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Gareth Ward,

Yeesh Sacha, I guess you're against it then... =)

Totally agree about the cruise ship barrier to the view (the transparent ghost ship is hilarious). But I'm not really against the overall idea here - even the pulling down of the sheds, an architectural form that I quite like because it's so very Kiwi. But to call them heritage seems a real stretch?
    It's the need for the masterplan that is partly why I'm OK this - we "got the wharf back" because of the RWC lovefest but we actually get a chance to do something from scratch once that's blown through town.

• Gareth Ward,

The "public space as well as a cruise ship terminal" vibe really %*&s me off though...

• Steve Barnes,

When it's all over and the punters return to their respective countries I can imagine the conversations down the pub...
    "clean green New Zealand my arse, they stuck us on a bleedin' wharf and sold us crappy sweet beer fer three quid a can. Not to mention all those wankers on the cruise ships chuckin' their crap at us. Waited two hours for a bleedin' train that chugged along as fast as a snail only to get us to bleedin' Edin Park in time for the final whistle. cunts"
    Bloody whinging Poms eh!.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

But to call them heritage seems a real stretch?

According to heritage experts like the Historic Places Trust, they are. Working class heritage perhaps, but we haven't preserved much of that or anything else in this city.

If there's a proper planning process that decides to pull them down, I'm fine with that - just not that some uninformed bland tosser gets to make the decision because the cruise ship industry and RWC sponsors have whispered sweet nothings in his corporate ears.

• Kyle Matthews,

But to call them heritage seems a real stretch?

I think we need to remember that the humble long drop loo is as much, if not more, part of our NZ heritage than any other building around the country. Being ugly and useful does not prevent something having heritage values.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• recordari,

Being ugly and useful does not prevent something having heritage values.

I so want to drop a former politician in this conversation, but my sense of decorum is preventing me. Carry on.

700. Meh.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Being ugly and useful does not prevent something having heritage values.

I so want to drop a former politician in this conversation,

I so want to drop a politician (heritage value or not) into the long drop.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

my sense of decorum is preventing me

Listening to Question Time should help you with that

• recordari,

Listening to Question Time should help you with that

With due respect to those who might do this for self-betterment or as part of their job, when I start listening to question time, I will be beyond help.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

With due respect to those who might do this for self-betterment or as part of their job, when I start listening to question time, I will be beyond help.

I'd agree (being an avid watcher) that watching PTV can at times test ones patience, because when it's bad ,it's very very bad but when it's good, it makes me proud to be in this country. Just as we are seeing in the House at the moment with the 2nd reading of the Waikato- Tainui Raupatu Claims(Waikato River) Settlement Bill.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• recordari,

Just as we are seeing in the House at the moment with the 2nd reading of the Waikato- Tainui Raupatu Claims(Waikato River) Settlement Bill.

The Tuhoe Urewera claim settlement should be interesting. Secession is always a juicy topic for discussion.

• Sacha,

when I start listening to question time, I will be beyond help

I consider it (fortunately infrequent) penance

• Sacha,

Speaking of penance, here's a world map of the Catholic paedo-priest cover-up.

• Sacha,

PS: NZ features in that map more than Australia does

• Islander,

Map does not respond with detail...

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

There's a text link just above the screenshot

• Rich Lock,

Probably as good a time and place as any to paste this
    onion link.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.