OnPoint by Keith Ng

Read Post

OnPoint: Budget 2010: What’d you expect?

275 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 Newer→ Last

• Lyndon Hood,

Journos are also letting Key and others give examples of $50k salaries as if that is "average"

Not just that, his opener example as a young couple, both on $50k.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1115 posts Report

• George Darroch,

Can that be satirised?

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report

• Sue,

if people are thinking what to do with helping
    In wellington please donate books to the DCM bookfair
    and also go to the bookfair in august and buy books to replace those gaps in your bookcase from the books you no longer wanted.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 527 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

He must have meant "average white couple, tertiary educated, graduated several years ago, working their way up some corporate ladder, no children or other dependents." Must be a gay couple, given that a woman would earn significantly less than the man on average.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• webweaver,

In wellington please donate books to the DCM bookfair

Do you have any more details Sue? Like where to take the books to and when and stuff?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 332 posts Report

• Tom Semmens,

Journos are also letting Key and others give examples of $50k salaries as if that is "average"

Everyone is going on like this is some sort of inexplicable lapse, or out of touch oversight.

But really, when you live in one of the most unequal societies in the world, the invisibility of most people in it shouldn't be a surprise, its a inevitable consequence of the country Roger Douglas set out to create in 1984.

Our middle class would be more comfortable with the mindset of Santiago than Stockholm.

The egalitarian society is dead.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

Do you have any more details Sue? Like where to take the books to and when and stuff?

Look out for collection bins in community centres and the such. Full list of locations here.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• philipmatthews,

The City Mission in Chch is doing a major collection next Saturday; details on its -- who doesn't have one these days? -- Facebook page.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2007 • 656 posts Report

• webweaver,

Look out for collection bins in community centres and the such. Full list of locations here.

cool, thanks Gio.

(and oh noes! I spelt your name wrong earlier! sorry!)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 332 posts Report

• Emma Hart,

City Mission or something, you reckon?

A few years back, I started trying to build Matariki traditions for our family, and one of them is making a special effort to donate a significant (to our budget) amount of food to the City Mission foodbank, because it's about sharing food. Also it makes me feel better at a time of year when I really need it, so it's a win all round.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report

• Matthew Poole,

The egalitarian society is dead.

See, I don't agree with that. I've seen news articles within the past five years talking about how more than a million people in this country do volunteer work every year. The egalitarian spirit still exists, it's just being subjugated by a media that's bought into the new-right ideal that anything less than absolute selfishness is weak and unacceptable.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report

• Paul Campbell,

yes, Emma a good idea food banks are pretty empty right now

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report

• Sacha,

Everyone is going on like this is some sort of inexplicable lapse, or out of touch oversight.

Not here - think we're pretty well aware how constructed the whole discourse is.

However, I'd hope the media might show more brain cells and balls. Must be hard to feel proud and professional when it's that easy for spinmeisters to get the better of you.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

(and oh noes! I spelt your name wrong earlier! sorry!)

No worries!

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report

• Islander,

"No,no, we're just outlining the position."
    Bill English when asked was he softening up for asset sales-

the fucking horrible little grubs (and yes, I mean like borer in the framework of our society.)

But - while I feel grief & anguish at the way things could go- I feel no surprise whatsoever.

This is what Nats *do.* Have done, and will do again unless-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

• Sacha,

And in related tardiness Bennett notices that NGOs funded by her Ministry are likely to be nailed by the GST increase.

• giovanni tiso,

English signals asset sales.

But not this term, right? Because I'm pretty sure they pledged not to break more than eight campaign promises in the first term.

• Sacha,

And speaking of spin, there's this nugget in Gordon Campbell's analysis:

Treasury has assumed, when calculating the net impact of the GST rise vs tax cut trade-off, that rich and poor alike spend all of their weekly income.

That may be true of the poor as they try to procure the basics of survival – yet it is certainly not true of those on high incomes, who have far more discretion on how, and whether, they spend.. The rich will not incur GST say, when they invest – in ways that do not attract GST – and thus, their discretionary income after the tax cuts will be even larger than Treasury has estimated.

• Tom Semmens,

See, I don't agree with that. I've seen news articles within the past five years talking about how more than a million people in this country do volunteer work every year.

My definition of an egalitarian society doesn't include voluntarism as a core component.

In fact, one could argue that reliance on (largely) middle class volunteers only delivers services to those considered to be the "deserving" poor, and as such is a symptom that simply reinforces the argument that our egalitarian society is now a historic relic.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

In fact, one could argue that reliance on (largely) middle class volunteers only delivers services to those considered to be the "deserving" poor

The majority of volunteers in Italy is actually from the working class. Do you have statistics for New Zealand?

• Sofie Bribiesca,

the fucking horrible little grubs (and yes, I mean like borer in the framework of our society.)

But - while I feel grief & anguish at the way things could go- I feel no surprise whatsoever.

This is what Nats *do.* Have done, and will do again unless-

Hear! Hear!No surprises at all.Fucking horrible little grubs is about the size of them.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

And in related tardiness Bennett notices that NGOs funded by her Ministry are likely to be nailed by the GST increase.

from the Radio NZ Site:

Federation of Family Budgeting Services chief executive Raewyn Fox says the not-for-profit sector's expenditure is mainly on items for which GST cannot be claimed back, such as wages and mileage, so there will be a slight increase in spending.

I didn't think there was GST on wages??

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• Christopher Dempsey,

When the only country in the OECD with a lower tax burden than NZ is Mexico, and still we're being told that we must cut taxes, it points to some interesting absence of lateral thinking on the part of our politicians. If taxes are what holds an economy back, we should be going absolutely gang-busters. Instead we're trailing the OECD on most of their other measures of economic performance. Maybe Key has realised that the only OECD ranking at which we have any shot of being number one is the lowest tax burden, and he's acting accordingly?

Essentially Key et al's argument betrays a vision of an atomised individual, divorced from family and friends, seeking to maximise their 'return'.

Earth to National party! Earth to National Party! People love their family and friends! People aren't selfish pricks!

Parnell / Tamaki-Auckland… • Since Sep 2008 • 659 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

Hear! Hear! No surprises at all. Fucking horrible little grubs is about the size of them.

looking forward to the latest edition of
    New Zealand Business Who's Hu Hu

English signals asset sales.

from Stuff:

''It seems to me, and I have checked this, that there is a strong demand among the mums and dads for a Kiwi investment model and if we put product into the market people would buy it. Would I be right about that?''

that Telecom experiment worked well...
    (didn't they hit an all time low this week?)
    that must be very reassuring for the "mums and Dads" out there...

Maybe a new company - BryerLees a real floater for all the sedimental fools out there...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.