Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Disingenuous Press

366 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 15 Newer→ Last

• Steve Barnes,

So. The Herald wants John Banks for Mayor. The more shit they spread against Brown, the less I will believe what they say (and that ain't a lot already) They have their votes and I have mine and John Banks, no thanks.
    As Hunter S. wrote "The scum also rises". That little Glob of rancid, oily wealth, that is Howick, floating on a sea of poverty, wanting to retain it's Rich white middle class name, that is just soooo wong.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Sean Plunkett's just resigned from RNZ...

Read somewhere, he is off to Metro. or I am completely wrong. :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Andrew C,

Read somewhere, he is off to Metro. or I am completely wrong. :)

You are correct

Plunket confirmed at the weekend that he had reached an agreement with RNZ and his first political column would appear in next month's Metro magazine, the Herald on Sunday reported.

Auckland • Since May 2008 • 169 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Here's free lunch. Just wish everyone cared. Councillors? How would we know? Oh that's right, I'd be an idiot to want to know.

• Russell Brown,

This does all seem like a tidy way of avoiding discussion of the very real issues with the structure, transition and constitution of the new super city.

You know, the things that cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

But if Banks' crew is so keen, perhaps all his expenses could also be released. We know what we've paid for his needless office relocation, not much else.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Kumara Republic,

But if Banks' crew is so keen, perhaps all his expenses could also be released. We know what we've paid for his needless office relocation, not much else.

Where's Nicky Hager when you need him?

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Where's Nicky Hager when you need him?

Probably working on something more important.

• Sacha,

needless office relocation

But the ATA has now covered that for them by decreeing that the new Mayor's office will be... in the Town Hall.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

But the ATA has now covered that for them by decreeing that the new Mayor's office will be... in the Town Hall.

Good grief.

• Sacha,

Stuff invites readers to join the panty-sniffing directly by publishing the 7000 pages online and inviting feedback on each item. They have their own set of guidleines for readers to apply:

What to look for:

1) Items that cost much more than they should (eg: $1000 suits, $200 bottles of wine)

2) Spending lots of money in short periods of time (eg: $1000 in restaurant bills is alright for a month, not for a day)

3) Strange explanations from MPs (Do they keep losing their luggage on overseas trips? Do they give vague reasons for large bills?)

4) No details on the bill (eg: $2000 on "room charges" in a hotel bill, with no more info).

5) Things that have no business being paid for by the public (eg: movie tickets, new cars, home electricity bills)

• Sacha,

Good grief

Actually makes some sense under the new structure - more than it ever did for the incumbent to separate himself off from the rest of the organisation.

• Craig Ranapia,

This does all seem like a tidy way of avoiding discussion of the very real issues with the structure, transition and constitution of the new super city.

You know, the things that cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

Well, Russell, as someone pointed out Len Brown is pretty much a blank slate outside Manakau -- and while the bus shelter posters that have popped up all over the North Shore are pretty, they're not very informative.

(BTW, I'd like to know who's paying for Brown's North Shore ad blitz and the direct mail bomb from the Banks campaign that went straight into my rubbish bin last week. If this is a taste of what's to come, both of them are being bankrolled by some very deep pockets and we should know who they are.)

Perhaps you could ask Messers Orsman and Rudman when their paper is going to start filling in the carefully constructed policy voids of the candidates. (Then again, I'd be coldly cynical enough to say that if I was a strategist for Brown, making the election a referendum on his deeply divisive opponent works just fine.) Hell, why not go the whole hog and ask why our media seems to have little interest in local government when, arguably, City Hall has more immediate and direct impact on its readers than the Beehive.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Just in case anyone's interested in a story about something that does affect people in need, Hilary Stace on the autism support crackdown.

Child Disability Allowance now much harder to get, Training Incentive Allowance scrapped, people on Invalid's Benefit now have to prove they're, um, still autistic. Thanks, Paula.

• Russell Brown,

Perhaps you could ask Messers Orsman and Rudman when their paper is going to start filling in the carefully constructed policy voids of the candidates.

That would be nice, yes.

• FletcherB,

the direct mail bomb from the Banks campaign that went straight into my rubbish bin last week.

I was going to bin it too.... but then I realized I could waste 50c of his budget by using the reply paid envelope to inform him I wouldnt make a donation or vote for him, but thanks for asking.

Yes, it's petty... but I felt good :)

West Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 893 posts Report

• Kumara Republic,

Child Disability Allowance now much harder to get, Training Incentive Allowance scrapped, people on Invalid's Benefit now have to prove they're, um, still autistic. Thanks, Paula.

Typical. Square peg won't fit into round hole? Minister Paula gets a bigger hammer.

I dread the day when our McMedia will only report on autism if it involves a high school, a MAC10 and some .45 ACPs.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

That would be nice, yes.

But like many nice things I shouldn't held my breath waiting? :)

But, seriously folks, you think The Herald wouldn't have jumped on this story with equal glee if some left-wing councillor was claiming Banks was not only playing fast and loose with public money but fraudulently trying to cover his tracks?

Now, you can say (yet again) the media were more interested in getting a sin-sational scoop right now, than getting the more modest but genuinely newsworthy story right. (There is a genuine public interest if local body politicians and/or senior staffers aren't keeping their audit trails clear.) But not doing your homework properly doesn't ipso facto prove some vast right wing media conspiracy.

• Sacha,

fraudulently trying to cover his tracks

Eh? Oh, you mean the thing about "making up" another invoice. As you were.

• Russell Brown,

But, seriously folks, you think The Herald wouldn't have jumped on this story with equal glee if some left-wing councillor was claiming Banks was not only playing fast and loose with public money but fraudulently trying to cover his tracks.

Which turns out to have been a false claim. But yes, that's news and that's politics.

What I find absurd is David Farrar's attempt this morning to pretend it has all magically dropped out of the sky and is nothing to do with the Banks campaign.

It all looks very well orgainsed to me, right down to the use of Whaleoil to dump the most dodgy stuff -- which we know, thanks to the Andrew Williams texts, Banks has happily done in the past.

• philipmatthews,

Now, you can say (yet again) the media were more interested in getting a sin-sational scoop right now, than getting the more modest but genuinely newsworthy story right.

Ah yes, "the media". That monolithic, Borg-like entity. You know what, Craig: some papers cover local politics fairly thoroughly and some don't; some go for "sin-sational" scoops and some don't. I'm getting a bit tired of this unwavering media-bashing rhetoric. It's much like saying "the blogosphere" without distinguishing between, say, Kiwiblog and Public Address. A distinction I know you like to make.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2007 • 656 posts Report

• merc,

It's called Ghost Invoicing.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

magically dropped out of the sky and is nothing to do with the Banks campaign.

Same modus operandi as National's campaign for office.Same people behind the scenes. Why would one change a winning formula?

• Sacha,

It all looks very well orgainsed to me, right down to the use of Whaleoil to dump the most dodgy stuff

And the blubbery one in turn claims it's Brown's handlers who have been spinning. Could get a PR job for the Israeli defence force with logic like that.

• Sacha,

His most novel line - that Brown is unsuitable to be the supercity mayor because he's not "troughing" *enough* on trips to Welli so obviously has no influence there.

• Craig Ranapia,

I'm getting a bit tired of this unwavering media-bashing rhetoric.

Fair enough as far as it goes, but I'm still looking for much in the way of evidence that the only daily newspaper in Auckland has much interest in local government on the North Shore as opposed to our clown-school drop-out of a Mayor. Never mind -- it's just the fourth largest city in the country, has around quarter of a million residents but such a Utopian paradise Andy Williams' urinary tract is the biggest issue we have to deal with.

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 15 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.