Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Disingenuous Press

366 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 15 Newer→ Last

Herald: Carter : 'I unreservedly apologise to the NZ public':

Mr Carter repaid $251 last week, but has not acknowledged any wrong-doing or issued any apology.

I give up.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

It should read 'I reservedly unapologise.' Blame the cost cuts in the sub-editors dept.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler,

Herald: Carter : 'I unreservedly apologise to the NZ public':

Mr Carter repaid $251 last week, but has not acknowledged any wrong-doing or issued any apology.

I give up.

The perils of a quickly updating story. Carter comes out of the Caucus meeting, and doesn't apologise. Herald updates this morning's story to that effect.

Phil Goff goes off. Carter apologises half-an-hour later; top of story and headline updated, but old story remains in tact until later.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

I really don't get why, when an MP has been naughty, they get to go on leave. Isn't that a reward?

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I really don't get why, when an MP has been naughty, they get to go on leave. Isn't that a reward?

Some even get to go to the football on the taxpayer. Is that naughty, when they are supposed to be in Parliament?
    I think Chris is on stress leave.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Perhaps we could all pay for a massage for him. Oh wait...

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

The perils of a quickly updating [a] story.

I know, however you could equally call it a demonstration of the fact they now don't necessarily even read a story before publishing it.

Edit: Nor after, since it remains unchanged.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Edit: Nor after, since it remains unchanged.

Yeah. If you can change the headline, adress the facts.It's just lazy.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• ChrisW,

Chris Carter reluctant to eat Phil Goff's shit before the massed media to gratify them and the public? I can understand that - it's clear he really has done nothing wrong - nothing more serious than taking a ball-point pen home with the paperwork and misusing it to compile a shopping list. Excessive travel!? FFS.

Shane Jones has been eating his own shit and that's fair enough, but why should Carter eat someone else's? To satisfy the random stupidity of our current system of 'accountability'? It must indeed be stressful - highly tempting to say stuff it all and resign, whereas good of the Party, by-election and all that ...

Gisborne • Since Apr 2009 • 851 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Seans Plunkett's legendary persistence certainly seemed to pay off interviewing Len Brown this morning (streaming, 6 mins, after Dick Quax).

Sounds like Jonathan Marshall is warranted in saying:

Other purchases on the mayoral credit card to have attracted criticism are a string of coffees and lunches the mayor has enjoyed while waiting for his next meeting to start.

Entertaining ratepayers and other stakeholders you're meeting with, fine. Snacking on the run - pay for it yourself.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Raymond A Francis,

I have to say I am genuinely feeling sorry for Chris Carter after watching the antics of TV news to night
    They are camped outside his house, waiting for what?

And my default position, so far in this, has been a quiet snigger at the way some Labour MPs have let down their supporters.
    As has been pointed out elsewhere, rather more is expected from the left because they claim they know how to spend our money better than us the taxpayer

But this is getting nasty

45' South • Since Nov 2006 • 578 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Len Brown says he will call in the Auditor General to check his credit card use after an "emotional" grilling at Council committee meeting tonight, reports Jonathan Marshall.

TV3 News' Jono Hutchison tweets after the meeting that Brown "Says it's the only court that will give him justice."

• Tom Semmens,

Riddle me this: What have media witch trial victims Chris Carter and Peter Ellis got in common?

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

It's cool of you to say that man, but this sells papers and it was always gonna go this way.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Riddle me this

Is it because they is black?

• Jeremy Eade,

Nah, Chris fucked up his creditcard, dumb yes.

It would be great to have a press that had the ability to talk about the work, the gains, the results,the strategies of this man against creditcard mess.

Peter Ellis - That's another 500 posts.Poor guy.

• Craig Ranapia,

I have to say I am genuinely feeling sorry for Chris Carter after watching the antics of TV news to night

Well, after watching the bad comic short on Nightline where we got a guided tour of Parliament's more scenic stairwells, I have to agree. But only to the same extend I needed a lie down after we were treated to the spectacle of a press pack stalking Brian Connell from the Opposition caucus room to the bog, where they waiting for a rather creepy doorstop. The man was a giant leaky douche-bag filled with warm baby diarrhoea, but really...

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

And Idiot Savant has asked a damn good question: But what about Cosgrove?

After all, to be fair to Chris Carter he's not the one who "lost" his luggage three times in a year and charged a $700 taxi fare (for a five hour sightseeing trip) to his ministerial credit card. (But, hey, who knew there's five hours of sights to see in Montreal? You learn something new every day...)

• Jeremy Eade,

Luggage loss is a horrible lottery. First you lose it after an hour of staring at a conveyour belt , and then you have to wait with every other bugger whose lost luggae, report it, and then wait 24 hours until the airport calls you and then insurance kicks in, (from memory, of my policies).

..and if you are travelling you need to wear clean clothes fast,believe me, and then of course you need new luggage fast if you are on the move, the old luggage might turn up days later.

• Craig Ranapia,

@Jeremy: Yes, but three times in one year? You'd think the media you give the kind of bad luck I'd want in my poker game as much attention as Mark Burton's empty hotel room, wouldn't you? Or at least as much as Carter pulling a Tuku, and putting some expensive undies on the ministerial plastic.

• Jake Pollock,

As Andrew Geddis has pointed out on Dim Post, Cosgrove seems to lost his luggage twice in a year, not three times. If he was travelling in the US, that's perfectly feasible.

And I'm sure Damian Christie will be able to tell you that even in New Zealand it's possible for luggage to get lost and stay lost.

Raumati South • Since Nov 2006 • 489 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

And Idiot Savant has asked a damn good question: But what about Cosgrove?

I think I/S needs to bear in mind that if he was making such clear allegations of criminal conduct against anyone other than an MP, he'd be in big trouble.

Cosgrove's luggage was lost twice, and the cost was covered by insurance.

Anne Tolley lost her luggage and used her card to restock too. I'm not inclined to put any scare quotes around any words there.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Nah, Chris fucked up his creditcard, dumb yes.

That wasn't really it. It was more that he was seen to have taken every opportunity, all the the time, more than any particular breaches. Goff talked about the "perception" that Carter had done so. And I think that's true, although you'd have been lucky to hear it reported properly during the past day's frenzy.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Sam F,

Sorry for the derail but it's semi-politics related: just had to link this awesome piece from Danyl. Much lol was had on my part.

/threadjack

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1611 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

I'm not inclined to put any scare quotes around any words there.

@Russell: Fair enough, but I do put quotation marks around quotes. And not proud to say this, but I know people who've committed outright insurance fraud by padding claims. (For the benefit for any lurkers from Sue, Grabbit and Runne not saying Cosgrove or Tolley did any such thing -- but it's not unknown.)

And I'm sorry, he's got a point: Carter gets demoted for "taking every opportunity, all the time". Shane Jones and Mita Ririnui egt punished for what would could most charitably be described as spectacular failures of judgement.

But Cosgrove runs up a $700 sightseeing trip in Montreal (which no sane person could defend as official business) and no consequences from Goff, and next to no media attention? That's odd.

(And since you brought up Tolley, I hope she's been quietly told to lay off the international air freght copies of the DomPost and bookmark Stuff instead. Seriously, I used to walk past a newsagent on Lambton Quay and often wondered who paid $15 for the week-old copy of the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

Small beer, sure. But, again, Education is one of those portfolios where the minister should be practising abroad what she preaches at home to everyone else in the sector.)

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 15 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.