Legal Beagle by Graeme Edgeler

Read Post

Legal Beagle: Because it is a big deal

70 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

Given that this behaviour crosses party lines, is the public interest actually served by prosecutions based on technicalities and, by dint of the legislation's wording, able to be directed at only the ruling party?

In a perverse way, I think it would not only be in the public interest but a counter-intuitive win for National. At the risk of sounding rather sanctimonious I'd say: "You're sitting on the Treasury benches, and talked a hell of a good game about transparency, accountability and setting new higher standards in government. Well, man up and walk the talk, bitches."

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

Craig, I don't equate the public interests with National's interests. Especially given that quite a large swathe of the public don't consider National to be acting in the public's best interests.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Um, he's arguing your side of that one I think, Matthew.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Craig, I don't equate the public interests with National's interests.

And neither do I, but I think it would actually be in the public interest if we saw a Government more interested in accepting accountability for their (alleged) misdeeds even if their every political instinct screamed "hell no". And if a little ovarian fortitude had some electoral sugar on top, well I wouldn't grudge it.

Let me put it this way: I got rubbished for saying both Labour and National would have been better off if the Police had prosecuted both parties for their alleged breeches of electoral finance law. I don't think any sane person would argue "the public interest" was better served by the ugliness that followed than two political parties getting their day in an open court.

ETA:

Um, he's arguing your side of that one I think, Matthew.

What Sacha said... :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

My bad.
    And, really, I wouldn't want to bet a steak dinner on the likelihood of National actually showing some leadership on the matter. Might be a different story if Shane Jones was in serious danger of a prosecution in the same dock as Tim Grosser, though.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

(A bit late cos I've been on holiday)

When I've been made to have a company credit card, the deal has typically been no personal use, but also that the user of the card is jointly liable with the business to pay the bill.

I also understand that companies (and presumably NZG, unless we're being stiffed by Westpac) aren't charged interest during the payment period, so provided the bill is settled by the user on time, there's no actual cost.

So it's hard to see how there's a material unauthorised expenditure involved.

Still, I wouldn't take one of these cards from an employer unless (as has happened) I was obliged to do that rather than using my own facilities and filing a considered expense claim. You would have thought that a sensible minister would have done the same thing (unless Ministerial Services have a no-reimbursements rule).

A sensible PM (and I'm surprised at Helen) would have insisted that no Minister got a card *and* that all expenses were run past a party/PMs office checker before being officially filed.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

A sensible PM (and I'm surprised at Helen) would have insisted that no Minister got a card *and* that all expenses were run past a party/PMs office checker before being officially filed.

You've got to remember that some of these bills run into the thousands, they're paying for ministers and often one or more staff to have meals, taxis, sometimes accommodation, also sometimes they're used to entertain groups.

Ministers shouldn't have to have $30K limits on their personal cards for a fortnight trip overseas and then ask the taxpayer to reimburse. There's nothing wrong with each minister having a card, it's what they use it for and how they account for it that is of issue.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

Ministers shouldn't have to have $30K limits on their personal cards for a fortnight trip overseas

I ran up a bill of that level when I was a mere computer consultant and got sent on a 5 week stint in New York, accompanied by a credit cardless colleague.

Charge cards (like Amex) have no fixed limit, and it's reasonable (IMHO) for an employer to wear the steep annual charges.

It's just a matter of staying squeaky clean, and making the call on whether to give the tab to the taxpayer at 10am in Wellington, not at 3am in a Bangkok bar.

(Anyway, Key could give all his ministers platinum Amex cards on his personal account and not even notice).

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Finlay Macdonald has a view on the past week in Parliament."Where were the dancing girls and the class A drugs."

cabinet minister forgets to feed cat, perhaps?

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking,

Allan Hubbard, bank roller of csnty irrigation and Christchurch Developer Dave Henderson is under investigation by SFO.

It might be coincidence but I saw a rural accountant with a black eye, it is ski season, but I smiled. I know that means I'm petty.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/3832664/SFO-probes-Canterbury-millionaire-Allan-Hubbard

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.