Radiation by Fiona Rae

Read Post

Radiation: This Is Not My Dan Carter

121 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

Lest I appear overly curmudgeonly, Outrageous Fortune & Go Girls are both eminently watchable, and there's no reason yet to think that TINML won't be too.

Indeed - Go Girls isn't my cup of tea, but it's well-executed entirely amiable fizzy pop. And there's nothing wrong with the idea that every damn New Zealand drama has to be stuffed with sociological worthiness.

I got the impression the power rationing was actually an excuse for control rather than a reality.

Sure -- just as I don't think it's a random throwaway line that Alec's notebook is a "collector's item" his secretary was saving up for someone's retirement present. Then it hit me that there's no books, no newspapers or magazines, no paper files in the Wellness Center or Alec's office. Nothing.

I was nonplussed by the hero wondering how they could track him - when he was carrying that whizzy little phone around all the time!!

Then again, how many of us would think twice about the potential cost of convenient technology? At least theoretically, we add another data point to a disturbingly detailed map of our lives.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

The doors use the kinetic energy of their own motion to charge themselves up for the next time they have to open.

but... but... but ain't that like a perpetual motion energy-loss-less device?

Then it hit me that there's no books, no newspapers or magazines, no paper files in the Wellness Center or Alec's office. Nothing

No clutter, period.
    Plus no internet apparently, no Google Earth to see beyond town or search engines...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

And strangely quiet.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler,

Or even, if anyone can grow a pair, V For Vendetta.

So a TV remake of Sleeping Dogs?

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

I'm hoping we get a lot more dialog from the car. It's already reminiscent of the game Portal. If it were my car, I'd skin it with Gauntlet narration, personally: "Ben, your car-force is running out!". "Car needs power, badly!".

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

God no, because let's face it Smith's Dream was essentially bullshit back in the 70's and it's aged worse than my rapidly greying hair.

• BenWilson,

Is it even the least bit plausible to depict fascism in NZ? Doesn't mean it's not fun to depict.

• Craig Ranapia,

Is it even the least bit plausible to depict fascism in NZ? Doesn't mean it's not fun to depict.

Oh, enormous fun -- girls, even if it's not that time of the month don't wear white to get beaten up by fascist Police goons -- but it didn't actually make a lot of sense. Neither did Philip Roth's The Plot Against America come to that...

Is it even the least bit plausible to depict fascism in NZ?

Yes, it is, if it's - for instance - a warning about where we might be headed if we were to adopt certain positions; "eternal vigilance" and all that.

I couldn't support the idea that it's only proper to depict fascism after it's happened. ;)

• BenWilson,

Yes, it is, if it's - for instance - a warning about where we might be headed if we were to adopt certain positions; "eternal vigilance" and all that.

Quite a few positions between us and full blown fascism. But it's entertaining to try to adapt models of how it happened elsewhere to how it could happen here. Smith's Dream was deliberately vague about it, probably because that wasn't really what the story was about - it was more about what NZers might act like if it had already happened.

Quite a few positions between us and full blown fascism.

I'd hoped that my comment implied that.

• Steve Barnes,

To me it looks like a Pleasantville/Prisoner mashup, the replacement characters reminiscent of Steptford. A bit slow to start but when the creepy stalker guy got knocked off I shifted to the edge of my seat. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be dream Alec had after falling off the ladder, that would be such a Dallas style let down.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Julie Fairey,

Seems to me the characters to date look like they come from where TINML is really filmed, namely Omaha. But maybe I'm being unkind.

(Takapuna does have quite a few old cottages, Frank Sargeson's for one iirc)

Puketapapa Mt Roskill, AK… • Since Dec 2007 • 234 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Dude is all over town in his undies.

Takes me back to Logan's Run. At the same time I'm of the mind of "Zero tolerance so we implant to control!" At the same time as "let's test it first on an unsuspecting community and if it works, the world is our oyster. Mwah hahahaha! R 'n' D at it's best. But.... will it float?

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

I saw some shorts and I've decided not to watch it. This Is Not My Life? This Is Not My Bloody Cup Of Tea, more like.
    In other news, has anyone else watched the Fixer. Quite enjoying that one.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Julie Fairey,

Saw some shorts or saw Charles Mesure in his shorts?

Puketapapa Mt Roskill, AK… • Since Dec 2007 • 234 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

well, both really, although Mesure is a bit totty like

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Craig Young,

I thought Smiths Dream had already happened. It was called the Muldoon era (1975-1984), especially the 1981 Springbok Tour part of it? We don't have many dystopias set here, do we? What about Janet Frame's last third of Intensive Care, set in a disability cleansing post-apocalyptic NZ?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 573 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Interesting point, Craig Y: while the Muldoon era had overtones of fascism, it never got anywhere near 'Smith's Dream' aka 'Sleeping Dogs'.
    I mean the drunken little shit who 'led' the country then had actually been in battle against real Fascists...

Dystopias: what do you think of "Erewhon"?

I find it fascinating that the author of "Smith's Dream" became steadily
    more right wing the older he grew (and grows of course. No ill-wishing here :))

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

Graeme:

I've got it! Sleeping Reservoir Dogs!

Ben W:

But it's entertaining to try to adapt models of how it happened elsewhere to how it could happen here.

Seriously though, here are just a few models to follow. Funnily enough, they're all from the 1980s...

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

well, both really, although Mesure is a bit totty like

I was rather bemused that Mesure was apparently asked to put on a bit of weight and lose the gym-tone he'd laboriously put on for V, Heh...

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.