Busytown by Jolisa Gracewood

Read Post

Busytown: The shakes

489 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 15 16 17 18 19 20 Newer→ Last

• Just thinking,

All the best Joe.

If anyone is donating stuff, best to direct it to support agencies like the Sallies for food, or Christchurch City Council.

I've recently witnessed the kindness of strangers, a wonderful thing.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Green is for fine, go. Red is for insanely dangerous, stop. Yellow is 'limited access' - you can go in and out for stuff, but don't stay there.

Thanks Emma,Jesus, I was starting to imagine him being loaded onto a fucking freight train or army truck.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Green is for fine, go. Red is for insanely dangerous, stop. Yellow is 'limited access' - you can go in and out for stuff, but don't stay there.

Having recently watched Treme (took me about five shows to realise that the images shown in the background of the open credits are close up photos of houses with numbers written on them for house checked, number of bodies inside etc), and a while ago When the Levees Break, the whole idea gives me the heebee greebies.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

Some of the buildings just have large mustard-yellow Xs on them, and the word "no". I'm hanging out for "what, are you fucking kidding me?".

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Joe - have just seen your post
    and now have no other way to get hold of you
    call or email me if you need a room.

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

They could have used orange paint. It, being amber would then suggest " not great but not written off either."In between. Kinda like traffic lights. I suppose yellow/ musturds does suggest "shit".(as in " No shit Sherlock, the house is a bit of a mess,half of it may be on the lawn but I'll need to change my clothes tomorrow" sorta thing)

• Sacha,

Closing in on 5000 tweets too

that all :)

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

hellooooo me too - we should probably institute some sort of loyalty scheme. Maybe.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

hellooooo me too

I just wanna know, where does one get the time and energy to make all this? PAS alone takes much time.Congrats is all I can offer and xxx :)

• Deborah,

Oh no, Joe! Feck!

New Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 1447 posts Report Reply

• Rob Stowell,

Sad news, Joe. Best wishes.

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

I would just like to thank the author of this blog and the other earthquake related posts on Public Address over the last few days. It has been quite sobering waiting to hear the regular voices report in and then hearing all the stories. Meanwhile Russell and the other old hands tried to keep people calm. I've always lived in Wellington and vaguely expect 'the big one' at any time. But it's hard to comprehend what the reality of that might be like in terms of immediate coping, all sorts of losses (home work business sleep education identity normality), over the following days and months.

Thanks to the person who cycled to the whisky shop and all the others just being good humans in all sorts of ways. I wonder how Joe is and Islander's whanau member with the glass injuries. And whether Philip's child still thinks the earthquakes are just annoying.

I foresee a compilation of useful information for the rest of us if and when we face our own disasters. Like Emma's tip to have cash on hand. A good pikelet recipe would be helpful too.

My little grief is the repertory theatre in Kilmore Street. (Warning trivia: I once made a pilgrimage to Christchurch to see what used to be called the Radiant Theatre, and the other public buildings provided by benefactor Thomas Edmonds, when I was researching the Havelock North based School of Radiant Living (Ed Hillary's parents were stalwarts and it had a formative influence on the young Ed). Built in the late 1920s it hosted a long list of speakers on the international 'new agey' circuit before that term was invented. The rising sun Edmonds symbol was a hint.)

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

I foresee a compilation of useful information for the rest of us if and when we face our own disasters. Like Emma's tip to have cash on hand. A good pikelet recipe would be helpful too.

One thing I've come out of this really dubious about is the value of having stored water. You buy it, stick it in the garage, go out five years later when there's a disaster, and there's stuff growing in it. This happened to a couple of people I know.

So I wonder if water purification tablets are more useful. Because how many people are going to remember to keep changing the water?

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

My mother had the same demijohn under the sink for what must have been twenty years, and it never got changed once. Maybe she figured that in a disaster we'd need a source of antibiotics.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

So I wonder if water purification tablets are more useful. Because how many people are going to remember to keep changing the water?

You should do it same time you check your smoke alarms - every six months.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Carol Stewart,

Because how many people are going to remember to keep changing the water?

We do actually, as we live in a part of Wellington with rather ancient infrastructure and have quite a high frequency of power and water outages. Who'd have thought this was a blessing?
    Very important to maintain the gin supplies also ..

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 830 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

The rising sun Edmonds symbol was a hint.

subversion in every kitchen

• Steve Barnes,

Thanks Chris W , that was very interesting.
    Was going to post this earlier but I've been stuck under a car, don't ask.
    Have a look at MARK QUIGLEY’S HOMEPAGE
    Quite reassuring.

UPDATE ON CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE FOR PRESS AND PUBLIC (AS OF 9:00 pm NZ time September 8th 2010): Why the aftershocks and when will they stop? Will the Lyttelton Volcano erupt?

And before you start panicing the Volcano is "Well Extinct" according to Dr Quigley.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Something a bit wrong with that link Steve B...

Apropos keeping water: wierd as it seems, every so often Big O (rainfall 3 metres + yearly)runs out of drinking water (generally, because of lagoon flooding - which salts the spring from whence we pump water for the 30,000ltr. community tank.)

So, I always keep 12 litres to hand. I simply replace each 4 litre container as I use it - and the exigencies of flooding and/or power cuts, mean this is every fortnight or so.

I dont worry about water for loos etc. as I have a spare 400 ltr. tank (rainwater-filled.)

There are useful instructions for making sure your stored water doesnt turn into an antibiotic farm (heh! Thanks Giovanni!) on the CD site, and Kyle's suggestion about changing your supply at the same time as you change smoke-alarm batteries is A Really Good Idea.

(Rushes off to check smoke alarms...)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

And an excellent site...am currently writing a "Te Karaka" column on my love affair with geomorphology - good to learn about Dr. M. Quigley's areas of expertise-

o, and extracted 2 dead batteries from smoke alarms-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

Thsi is where the my chest freeze comes in handy. I have collected a shit load of milk bottles and washed them thoroughly (!!), filled them with nice clean water and frozen them. They are now sitting quietly in the bottom waiting...waiting..

When the wait is over, they will stay there keeping my freezer cold. Utilising their glorious specific heat and latent heat of freezing stashed inside a nice insulted box. Which, incidently, the family are well trained to ensure spare blankets are packed around it and newspaper put underneath it. I can take out fresh water and thaw it as the need arises.

Then I can sneak stuff out of my frozen larder and feast on meats, veges and other goodies that I have accumulated. BBQs here we come!

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• ChrisW,

Appreciate that thanks Steve B, and the further link to Mark Quigley's site.

And Marcus Turner - that nuclear bomb animation was awesome, the 'geo'politics never clearer.

Gisborne • Since Apr 2009 • 851 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking,

There are thermal springs near Tai Tapu & Governers Bay. I don't buy the extinct line.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Bloody good plan, Ross

First ←Older Page 1 15 16 17 18 19 20 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.