Busytown by Jolisa Gracewood

Read Post

Busytown: The shakes

489 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 16 17 18 19 20 Newer→ Last

• JLM,

Ms p, as a pioneer librarian in that establishment, that's good news. It's even possible that I may have catalogued some of those books on the floor. Scary thought.

Judy Martin's southern sl… • Since Apr 2007 • 241 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

the rogering continues...

Rumour Central to Rumour Control over

Bob has been outed on "unintentional misleading"
    ...the poor blighter hasn't been getting much sleep,
    this saving the city singlehandedly is, well, trying...

as Councillor Chrissie Williams says:

"It bewilders me. There are other examples where Bob comes out with these very simple statements and he repeats them so much they become urban myth. They become fact, and that worries me.

"It is almost like he is saying it to take the responsibility away from council."

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Almost like?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Tim Michie,

Herald:

Statistics NZ added to the chorus of voices saying the earthquake isn't a boon for the nation. In a section on the impact of the quake, the department said "looking at GDP in isolation fives a false impression that this disaster will be good for the economy."

No kidding.

The GDP data doesn't take into account the $2 billion to $4 billion worth of damage to capital assets, or that building work and consents will need to be replaced, businesses are closed and people are unable to go to work, the department said.

That seems damn telling (or tellingly damning), on a matter as important as a major disaster, Statistics Dept agree GDP isn't a good measure. So who's left backing it as our chief gauge of success?

Auckward • Since Nov 2006 • 614 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking,

Bloody aftershocks, woke me again & now I find out another hour of sleep was nicked by daylight savings.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

Bloody aftershocks, woke me again & now I find out another hour of sleep was nicked by daylight savings.

And Telecom's Digital Time hasn't even updated for it yet either. It's still showing the non-DS time on my phone.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

That was a very nasty rash of aftershocks, going by the Twittoseismograph.

And @Kalena's newfound ability to locate them by street address* adds another level of precision freakout to the whole thing, I imagine??

* by feeding the geonet coordinates into Google Maps: genius.

Auckland, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 1472 posts Report Reply

• Rob Stowell,

Of course, a great number of books are on the floor but the majority of the shelving is still standing.

The issue is really: that shelving is now known to be vulnerable in a major quake. So simply putting the books back isn't an option. And most-if not all- of the same sort of shelving- even if it didn't come down- will probably need to be replaced.

UC Commerce buildings fire escape failed (east side) in the Earth Quake?

I think 'failed' isn't exactly right: but the whole building was off-limits for 3 or 4 days after the quake, because of some structural problem with the east stairways.

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking,

"off-limits for 3 or 4 days after the quake, because of some structural problem with the east stairways."

That sounds like failure to me.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Canterbury tales wag the British Bulldog...
    The planet having run a shake-test on that "most English of colonial cities", Christchurch, will find the "Mother Country" no easy pickings...
    ...as a training exercise on September 10 has
    readied them for the aftermath of a
    magnitude 8 earthquake...

Officers from Hampshire, Hertfordshire and Merseyside took part in the bizarre exercise this week to plan for a tremor measuring 8 on the Richter scale. Mock disaster scenes included burning cars and collapsed buildings and more than 600 actors and amputees were employed to pose as injured victims.

The biggest quake ever to hit the UK – at Dogger Bank in 1931 – measured just 6.1 and caused only one fatality, a woman in Hull who had a heart attack.

Be Prepared - Baden Powell will rest easy in his grave... just so long as none of those offshore oil rigs need to be BP repaired.

• Sam F,

a training exercise on September 10 has readied them for the aftermath of a magnitude 8 earthquake...

Predictably spun out on the ChemtrailsNorthNZ blog (Google it, I shan't link) as further evidence of the HAARP earthquake conspiracy.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1611 posts Report Reply

• philipmatthews,

Predictably spun out on the ChemtrailsNorthNZ blog (Google it, I shan't link) as further evidence of the HAARP earthquake conspiracy.

Could possibly be the maddest thing ever on the internet. Which is saying something. I'm also willing to put down $100 here and now that says the next issue of Jon Eisen's Uncensored has a big spread on what "really" caused the Canterbury quake ...

Christchurch • Since Nov 2007 • 656 posts Report Reply

• Sam F,

Could possibly be the maddest thing ever on the internet. Which is saying something.

Hey, I'm all for supporting local efforts and that, but nothing will ever top Time Cube.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1611 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Hey, I'm all for supporting local efforts and that, but nothing will ever top Time Cube.

Wow! That Time Cube site does have it all...
    in spades (as it were) - home on de ranged...

...and on checking the Chem Trails one I see them running an urban legend type story (about mysterious canisters in Jet Planes) that has been around a long time - now, as then, I am always suspicious of "aviation engineers" who can't spell hangar properly...

...still it keeps em off the streets, right?

I read some of the Uncensored mag once, I couldn't believe that they couldn't even be bothered taking out all the extraneous web site specific stuff - just cut, paste and print - money for old rope then...

First ←Older Page 1 16 17 18 19 20 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.