Legal Beagle by Graeme Edgeler

Read Post

Legal Beagle: He is Henry the Eighth, he is

197 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

The clash between heritage imperatives and profitable development seems a reasonable fear.

Practically, I'm more worried about cowboy builders gouging desperate homeowners who then resort to the false economy of (potentially unsafe) DIY repairs -- all without politically inconvenient cost or consequence.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

I never thought I'd see a more egregious and nauseatingly disingenuous skid-mark of partisan hackery than Chris Trotter's defence of "courageous corruption", but DPF is trying really really hard. (h/t Danyl - again. The bastard.)

Some commentators have been declaring that the Canterbury Earthquake Response and Recovery Bill has turned NZ into a dictatorship and Gerry Brownlee is our new Supreme Overlord.

Of course this is not true. We remain a democratic country, with parliamentary sovereignty. Parliament can repeal the said act, and indeed remove the Government – which is a minority Government.

But there is an argument to be made, that we could be seen as under the rule of a dictator – if you know your classics.

In modern history, a dictator is seen as an evil bad ruler – Hitler, Stalin, Kim, Hussein etc. They have absolute rule for life. We definitely do not have that sort of dictatorship.

But a long time ago, a dictator was seen in positive lights – in fact some dictators are seen as democratic heroes. Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix changed the office from a noble one to a tyrannical one when he was made dictator for an indefinite period in 82 BC. Prior to that, it was well regarded.

If you'd excuse me, I have to go head-butt my desk, the dining room table and the occasional tables in the living room before I even begin to unpack the bullshit there.

• giovanni tiso,

Is he really trying to rehabilitate the concept of dictatorship? That is quite priceless.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• merc,

Deeply, deeply disturbing.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

Yes, the media is just not interested in informing the people. If I knew nothing of this "Attack on Democracy" the TV News would have made me no wiser, all they were interested in was three strikes Garret.
    As Simon said "The media seek fights, not truth." they see only sensational scandal. Like John Stewart said "Ooh look, a squirrel

It's only an "attack on democracy" if it threatens advertising revenue.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Deeply, deeply disturbing.

Though, as usually happens, I expect The Standard to promptly restore the cosmic balance of cretinous partisanship. Karmically exquisite, but not pretty to watch.

• BenWilson,

Is he really trying to rehabilitate the concept of dictatorship? That is quite priceless.

It actually scares me that he thinks like that.

I can understand dictatorship only in very, very extreme circumstances, where basically turning the nation into an army is required. We're not there, not even close. We've got an army, and they're already in Christchurch, and no-one has even come close to refusing help to the region. Everyone sees it as a sorely in need of help, and any help needed only has to be asked for. Where was there any evidence of justification for this measure?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg,

Well, so long as it's a benign dictatorship I'm OK.

</tonguecramp>

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart,

I think the last time I recall someone doing that was Anakin Skywalker in one of the unmentionable Star Wars prequels. And we all know how that turned out.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Though, as usually happens, I expect The Standard to promptly restore the cosmic balance of cretinous partisanship.

Actually I thought their lead article is pretty good: Labour grassroots revolt against Quake Act betrayal.

Membership appalled, MPs out of touch. Looks a little like the feelings around here.

I normally only visit the standard when someone links to it from here, same as kiwiblog.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Actually I thought their lead article is pretty good: Labour grassroots revolt against Quake Act betrayal.

Got to give credit where credit's due -- that was pretty good. But every time I feel like this about The Standard, someone - whether in the comments or a post - comes along with the stupid stick and goes nuts.

• George Darroch,

Got to give credit where credit's due -- that was pretty good. But every time I feel like this about The Standard, someone - whether in the comments or a post - comes along with the stupid stick and goes nuts.

It feels right to see Russel Norman's weak excuse on Frogblog "hidden due to low comment rating". Given that the site is normally filled with the sympathetic, that's a rare thing indeed.

Sue Bradford is scathing on this, and the votes of Green and Labour MPs to support the Manukau recriminalisation-of-prostitution-bill.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

I'm really surprised and actually pleased by the Herald editorial.

• Kyle Matthews,

Given that the site is normally filled with the sympathetic, that's a rare thing indeed.

Not at present. Lots of members and supporters, most of them expressing their outrage.

• Rich Lock,

I think the last time I recall someone doing that was Anakin Skywalker in one of the unmentionable Star Wars prequels. And we all know how that turned out.

"It's a clear desa Separatists made a pact witha desa Federation du Trade. Senators! Dellow felegates! In response to this direct threat to the Republic, mesa propose, that the Senate give immediately emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor!"

- Jar Jar Binks. Attack of the Clones.

Sorry for quoting Jar Jar. Completely unforgivable. I'll get me Jedi Cloak.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Mikaere Curtis,

Kevin Hague made a nuanced post over at Frogblog:

We wanted to be clear that we do stand by the people of Canterbury and acknowledge the need to expedite some processes to facilitate recovery, while also strenuously disagreeing with the approach being taken and doing our very best to improve it. In the context within which we had to work we believed that our very active efforts to change the Bill and to put down the markers in the debate against which the Government should be judged, but to vote for the Bill at third reading was the best match for that set of objectives.

I acknowledge and fully respect that others believe that either our assessment of the balance of those objectives was wrong or that there would have been better ways of achieving those two objectives. For Green Party supporters who believe that we got it wrong, I’m sorry to have disappointed you. I understand too that there are some people for whom a single issue becomes so simportant that their vote is cast entirely on that issue. However, political parties can’t really work on that basis. We have to do our best to have policy and make decisions across a very broad range of issues, and then ask voters to judge this whole mix, and our behaviour on everything, even if there are aspects with which they disapprove. My hope is that most people who disapprove of the judgment call we made on Tuesday will be able to consider it against this broader context.

I totally get basis for the never-vote-Green-again dummy-spitting, but seriously, who are you going to vote for ? It was a hard choice, and maybe they made the wrong decision, but at least they are aware of it. Contrast that with Labour, National et al.

Tamaki Makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 528 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

I totally get basis for the never-vote-Green-again dummy-spitting, but seriously, who are you going to vote for ? It was a hard choice, and maybe they made the wrong decision, but at least they are aware of it. Contrast that with Labour, National et al.

I suspect I'll probably still vote Green.

But I suspect they just lost any chance of ever having me as a member or activist. Leaders (and I mean all their caucus) need to inspire me, and Greens have failed in that at an important time.

• BenWilson,

I totally get basis for the never-vote-Green-again dummy-spitting, but seriously, who are you going to vote for ?

Indeed. Even voting in the elections at all is usually a choice of the lesser of evils.

• Craig Ranapia,

It was a hard choice, and maybe they made the wrong decision, but at least they are aware of it. Contrast that with Labour, National et al.

Oh, here's a freshly baked cookie I dropped in the toilet earlier. I totally understand my respect is a pretty base coin for the Greens, but it would have been nice to offer it any way.

• Christopher Dempsey,

Biscuit thank-you Craig. Biscuit.

Parnell / Tamaki-Auckland… • Since Sep 2008 • 659 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

Oh for heaven's sake let's not start with the whole American/British English thing eh? What in the world is wrong with cookie?

(I will eat it out of the toilet, but only if you call it by its proper name, by Jove!)

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

I normally vote Labour(in Tai Toka) and give my party vote to the Greens. Not this coming election.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

It was a hard choice, and maybe they made the wrong decision, but at least they are aware of it. Contrast that with Labour, National et al.

This again comes back to expectations. We expect the Greens to follow their principles in important matters. The fact that they knew that this was for many people a matter of principle makes it worse.

I expect Labour and National to trade in their principles for other things, that's not a betrayal, just business as usual.

• BenWilson,

What in the world is wrong with cookie?

Nothing, so long as you remember it's a sometimes food. I wonder if that's what Cookie Monster meant - the rest of the time he eats biscuits. They probably didn't have chocolate coated caramel, mint and fudge biscuits when he was a lad, and they can't really be called cookies, can they?

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.