Legal Beagle by Graeme Edgeler

Read Post

Legal Beagle: He is Henry the Eighth, he is

197 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 Newer→ Last

• Islander,

Ben Wilson, some people would insist you belong to "The Third Chimpanzee" grouping...me, I'm happy to belong to Order Primates (we're such a wonderously varied lot!) among the Hominidae-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

As long as I'm an ape, I'm happy, I can still travel business class. They don't let any old monkey in there.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• David Hood,

We have a new saying around the household-
    "Should have got Gerry to do it"
    it works for everything from people stymied with temporary difficulties, to those arrested because they were doing things that were illegal (at least for them to do)

Dunedin • Since May 2007 • 1445 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

As long as I'm an ape, I'm happy, I can still travel business class. They don't let any old monkey in there.

Whereas it's pack animals for saddle class.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• merc,

"Should have got Gerry to do it."
    Will inevitably give rise to...
    B1, what's with that?
    B2, oh it's been Gerry-rigged.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

"Should have got Gerry to do it."
    Will inevitably give rise to...
    B1, what's with that?
    B2, oh it's been Gerry-rigged.

And never mind the Gerry-mander.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

And never mind the Gerry-mander.

nor the Gerry-maunder

(but do look out for another Maunder minimum )

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Sam F,

As posted by Jeremy Harris in a comment at Red Alert: a list of Orders in Council made so far under the new powers granted by the CERRA.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1611 posts Report Reply

• simon g,

So today the open letter from legal scholars has made the news (albeit not the headlines).

And Gerry Brownlee has responded:

"If they are worried about process then I think they should take themselves down to the people in Bexley, or Avonside or the other pockets of severe damage around the city and perhaps have a discussion with them and see how they feel about it.

"I am strongly on the side of people whose lives have been dislocated, not the hand-wringing academics who frankly are contributing nothing to the recovery effort." (NZPA)

What an obnoxious thing to say. What contempt for those who dare to question his powers, or Parliament's wisdom.

But don't worry. We can trust Gerry.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1333 posts Report Reply

• simon g,

• Sam F,

"I am strongly on the side of people whose lives have been dislocated, not the hand-wringing academics who frankly are contributing nothing to the recovery effort."

Could almost have been taken straight from today's Kiwiblog comments thread on the story (barring the lack of profanity).

• Rich of Observationz,

I think that once those people realise that wealthy property developers are getting a free pass to throw buildings up while ignoring codes, while their sewage isn't being fixed, they might wish they had some democratic influence over the process.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking,

This isn't Gerry-Maunder it's more Jerry-can.

What wiki says:
    The history of the Jerrycan is notable because it was reverse engineered during World War II. The name of the jerrycan reveals its German origins (Jerry being a disparaging wartime name for Germany and Germans).[7]

This is the reverse engineering of democracy, pulling it apart and seeing how it works. If only I trusted Gerry to know how to put it back together again.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

It also implies something that is haphazard and insufficient - e.g. jerry-built.

• Russell Brown,

Could almost have been taken straight from today's Kiwiblog comments thread on the story (barring the lack of profanity).

Oooh, wow. That gets quite odd, doesn't it?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Sam F,

• simon g,

Another still, small voice: The Law Society expresses concern over the Gerry-mandate (sorry, "wrings its hands").

• Stephen Judd,

The "hand-wringing" is a real fascist trope. Manly men, leaders (what's the German word*, ah yes, Führer) don't wring their hands, they just kick arse and leave worrying about trivial things like constitutional rights to the weak and effeminate.

* although in German händeringend connotes desperation, not futile concern over nothings.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Another still, small voice: The Law Society expresses concern over the Gerry-mandate (sorry, "wrings its hands").

How cute. They think the consequences are "unintended"

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

Magnificent post at Imperator Fish:

If you liked that, you may also like the secret diary of
    Comte Gerry de Brownlee, duc d'Eglise de Christ

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Still, nice to see Labour (in the person of the former Minister for 'Clean Venues') really has its priorities straight:

The Labour Party is concerned a bill to facilitate Rugby World Cup activities will give Rugby World Cup Minister Murray McCully too much power.

The Government Administration Committee has reported back to Parliament on the Rugby World Cup 2011 Empowering Bill.

The bill establishes the Rugby World Cup Authority as an agency for approval of related activities and facilities such as liquor licenses and accommodation.

Labour's Rugby World Cup spokesperson Trevor Mallard says the party is generally happy with the bill, but is concerned it enables Mr McCully to override decisions made by the authority.

Sow, reap, fuck off until you're ready to be a serious opposition.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Oh FFS. So Labour (and Green) MPs justified voting for the earthquake bill in order to support the people of Christchurch. Hasn't Mallard just opened Labour up to the charge doesn't support New Zealand rugby? After all, Labour's just established the proposition that any crap legislation deserves a vote as long as it sends a message of support...

• Stephen Judd,

• Islander,

I* was really serious when I said upthread that I would no longer give my party vote to the Greens - I relied on stated principles, and, as said, "They shit in their philosophical nest." And there they sit-

*'I' includes 12 like-thinking whanau members. I rather think this scenario will be replicated throught the motu-

• Stephen Judd,

I hope that you consider re-engaging with the party. The only corrective that I see to the hollowing out of our parties that Edwards identifies is for people with an ideological backbone to join them and get them back on course from within.

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.