Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Foundation for Subliterate Representations (NZ)

79 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• recordari,

Statement: Fostr NZ does not intend to reallocate more to be one place to find address and evolve SR. FOStR NZ is the rising tide to lift all the boats of dedication working in this area, as our Kaumatua says this Waka has risen from the sea to support the Waka of New Zealand in today's world and to connect New Zealand on this very important level with today's world.

I'm still trying to work out why I started singing this damn song after reading that.

When you're weary
    Feeling small
    When tears are in your eyes
    I will dry them all

I'm on your side
    When times get rough
    And friends just can't be found
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down

It's a beautiful thing.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Bless Simon & Garfunkel!

However, the entire weird site is a shit-heap: what on EARTH is the HRC doing being involved? Please, journo peeps, find out what has been going on here?

Or is the HRC something like the Hoodoo Righteous ComplianceCouncilcorporated?

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

Try Cat Baby

Longer boats are coming to win us
    They're coming to win us, they're coming to win us
    Longer boats are coming to win us
    Hold on to the shore, they'll be taking the key from the door.

I don't want no god on my lawn
    Just a flower I can help along
    'Cause the soul of no body knows
    how a flower grows... Oh how a flower grows.

Mary dropped her pants by the sand
    And let a parson come and take her hand
    But the soul of no body knows
    Where the parson goes, where does the parson go?

It's got it all.
    Waka cruising around for us.
    Gerry's gonna get into your home with the key.
    New Age Flower Power.
    Priestly Sex.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Ross - that is

terrifying times
    (especially when you throw the name Yusuf Islam into the already dicey mix...)

• Graziella Thake,

Hi everyone

As Russell pointed out, I do actually exist! My name is perhaps a bit unusual because I come from an Italian / Maltese background - however I am a New Zealander living in Auckland.

The Foundation for Social Responsibility New Zealand (FOStR NZ) is a fledgling organisation, having just signed our Trust Deed on Tuesday.

The ‘t’ in FOStR NZ is there to make the acronym easy to say, as in ‘foster’. ‘Foster’ refers to our mission, which is to help organisations and individuals in NZ be more socially responsible. And what does this actually mean? It means working to improve the social and economic wellbeing of vulnerable New Zealanders, particularly our children.
    In other words, reducing the negative by promoting the positive.

We have some big ideas, possible solutions and practical actions to both raise awareness of these social issues, and inspire New Zealanders to find ways of addressing them. It’s called “manaakitanga” - taking care of each other, being respectful and nurturing relationships. We’ve been lucky enough to get the support of a number of individuals and businesses to help us on our journey.

This is a mission that is from the heart of all involved and aims for better outcomes for all New Zealanders.

I hope you’ll continue to watch our progress, and we’ll certainly do our best earn your respect and maybe even your support.

Graziella Thake
    The Foundation for Social Responsibility New Zealand (FOStR NZ)

Auckland • Since Sep 2010 • 1 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

Been drilling on the HRC page.

They come up under participants in the HRC programme of NZ Diversity Action Programme.

Seems they cottoned on to it along with 250 other organisations. Voluntary inclusion it seems.

Makes good media though!!!!!

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Patrick Xavier,

So, Graziella, how are you getting on with paying your debts?

(I'm still thinking "Insinc[ere]life".)

Since Nov 2006 • 49 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Graziella - 'manaakitanga' = show respect or kindness to, or entertain.
    It's a hospitality thing: you have guests ( and you have to have guests before you can show manaaki). It has nothing to do with 'taking care of each other' or 'nurturing relationships' except when looked at through the broadest linguistic lenses.

We (Maori) have a lot of other words for those matters. And, displaying 'mana' is what it is all about.

• Ben Austin,

Well anyone who uses canoes, waka, boats or waterbourne vessels of any kind in order to explain anything is alright in my book

London • Since Nov 2006 • 1027 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Including rafts, bladders annnd mogihiki Ben Austin?
    Coool!

(Pops wee symbol for 'possible nutter' in my mokihi logbook - o yes! both those words were used!)

• recordari,

'Six months in a leaky boat?'

[Droll]
    [Sorry]

ETA: Are there other instances of putting itinerant consonants or vowels in acronyms to make them easier to say?

Por examplo;

ARTA to spARTA.

This could really catch on. </sarc>

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Ben Austin,

Islander, yes. I believe I have nailed my preference to the mast

London • Since Nov 2006 • 1027 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

Or six leaks in monthly boat? ;-)

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __,

This cheered me up no end:

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

"Welcome to California" - exactly

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Caleb D'Anvers,

The tragedy is, a few more rounds of cuts in governmental comms. departments, and all .govt.nz websites are going to read something like this. But then again, I guess "Plain English" is so unevolved, right?

London SE16 • Since Mar 2008 • 482 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart,

I know and respect two of the four trustees. I can't say what they think they're doing there.

To delve into the depths of cynicism for a moment - do we in fact know that everyone listed on the page knows they're listed there?

The ‘t’ in FOStR NZ is there to make the acronym easy to say, as in ‘foster’.

Acronym: I do not think this word means what you think it means.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• David Hood,

Cynicism snap.

So the acronym for Association of Consumers and Taxpayers can be lACkwitTed

Dunedin • Since May 2007 • 1445 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

The tragedy is, a few more rounds of cuts in governmental comms. departments, and all .govt.nz websites are going to read something like this. But then again, I guess "Plain English" is so unevolved, right?

You obviously never received a student loan statement between 1999-2008.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Nick Shand,

It has been a long while since I have felt Social Responsibility at this frequency.

No knowledge of 'the secret' is required to help and empower me in posting a cutting cathartic remark.

My personal definition of social responsibility, which FOStR so casually offended, has now been appeased.

Thank you. I feel better now for following this thread even though I currently have no friends in common with G Thake.

auck • Since Aug 2008 • 79 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

You obviously never received a student loan statement between 1999-2008.

Their student loan statements have nothing on Child Support payer letters. It's not unusual to receive three different letters on one day, all saying different things, none of them explaining themselves at all.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• andin,

my daughter Serenity is thriving and learning to live the Secret, too, at 5 years old.

Is that considered child abuse? If it isnt it should be.

Grazelia sez somewhere

Next year another dream will be realised - I will get married in my country of origin, something I've always wanted to do, but a dream I felt had died with my father. We will fly 200 of our friends over on a charter for a special and miraculous moment.

AND...Grazewhateva owes

CREDITORS
    Callplus Services Limited $2,779.70
    Duncan Cotterill Lawyers $684.00
    Inland Revenue Department $97,332.66
    Westpac $44,194.30
    Inland Revenue Department $72,043.98
    Busy Books Limited $3,358.13

Talk about living in lalaland.
    Tell me she is not getting anymore handouts...please.
    WTF

raglan • Since Mar 2007 • 1891 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

my daughter Serenity is thriving and learning to live the Secret, too, at 5 years old.

Is that considered child abuse? If it isnt it should be.

Calling your child Serenity? I do have a friend whose wife has just given birth to a daughter they've called Zoe. A new little sister for Kaylee.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart,

Calling your child Serenity? I do have a friend whose wife has just given birth to a daughter they've called Zoe. A new little sister for Kaylee.

Hey, be kind. It could have been "Kaywinnit", if they'd decided to go for accuracy.

(Best I've seen is a newspaper announcement for Falcon, younger brother of Ford, Chevy, etc....)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

Hey, be kind. It could have been "Kaywinnit", if they'd decided to go for accuracy.

I think it's lovely. I have cautioned him against going one more daughter down that line, though.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.