135 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Jackie Clark,

What do you think we look like?

She's got you there, Kyle.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

One of the(many) things my mother & myself *loved* about Canada was
    - to be sitting at a writers' do - or an academic conference - and me explaining that Kai Tahu were much inter-married with all kinds of folk and not to be worried that we looked kinda 'white'-

at which point - everytime! - a person would stand up and say (paraphrase) "Well, I look kinda white too, but my greatgrand-dad was a Micmac, and he married this Scots woman-"

at which point quite a lot of the partakers/audience would explode into laughter, and the stories came out to be shared...

hooray for diversity!

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Tim Michie,

Apologies - attempting to recall a double posting here...

As you were.

Auckward • Since Nov 2006 • 614 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

Aaaaand let the apology road trip begin!

Auckland, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 1472 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

hooray for diversity!

Indeed - but "boo" to the passive-aggressive profiling, which I still do even though I try to check myself. And it's not only racial/ethnic. Funny how often I put all kinds of labels on people with a glance; perhaps it's inevitable, but still not a good thing.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

Agreed, Craig. But even if it's inevitable, the fact that we recognise that we're doing it or have just done it, can be a good thing, no? Little teachable moments (or kick-yourself-in-the-butt moments) every day.

Auckland, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 1472 posts Report Reply

• simon g,

I expect we're all about ready to run out the room screaming at the next mention of "Paul Henry", but if anyone's a glutton for punishment ...

Here's Michele Hewitson's interview with him, two and a half years ago.

I don't know if TVNZ bosses bother reading the Herald, but it's not like Henry was pretending to be Geoff Robinson. "This is who I am", he said. Nobody heard.

(or rather, they heard, and wanted more ...)

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1333 posts Report Reply

• Petra,

Thanks, simon g.

I now know that he's not just playing at not understanding what he did wrong, but that he genuinely has no freaking clue. Interesting.

Rotorua • Since Mar 2007 • 317 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

That Michele Hewitson interview was pure gold.

I don't think I've got the attention span to learn long enough to be as good as I know I could be and it would annoy me enormously to half play the piano. It's better not to play at all."

I would love to say he was boring. Alas, no. But I'm sure if he tried, he'd be the best in the world at it.

Empty. And to boot, he hasn't got the attention span of a gnat.

Correction. Yes he has.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

He really does seem to fuque-ing believe he is good at - or could be good at - everything & anything.
    There is a name for this disorder...

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.