Up Front by Emma Hart

Read Post

Up Front: Ups and Downs. And Side-to-Sides.

155 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 7 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

Still crying, on and off. Reputation for staunchness possibly fucked forever.

Yup - you big sack of marshmallow, you. :) Now, gather the clan and get your fucking arses up here for more cuddling and and random filth than you can handle.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Tamsin6,

Staunch be buggered. Stay well.

London • Since Dec 2007 • 133 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

That iOS autocorrect thing is the worst auto correct bug ever. I got the same thing trying to tell Fiona by text that David and Jen were “unhurt”: changed to “injured”.

Seriously, who does that?

Also, it’s lovely to see you back online.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Lew Stoddart,

Nah. Reputation for staunchness pretty well intact, given that you can still write in complete, coherent sentences.

L

Wellington, NZ • Since Aug 2010 • 109 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Lew Stoddart,

Nah. Reputation for staunchness pretty well intact, given that you can still write in complete, coherent sentences.

Pfft. Until she writes a post from her phone at 2am, I am going to call her a pussycat.

(heh. She's gonna kill me.)

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart,

Until she writes a post from her phone at 2am, I am going to call her a pussycat.

Srsly, can we get Haywood a "services to journalism" for that? They seem to be going pretty cheap these days.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Emma Hart,

Srsly, can we get Haywood a “services to journalism” for that? They seem to be going pretty cheap these days.

We can add him to the list of nominations, I am sure.

• nzlemming, in reply to Lew Stoddart,

I agree. Very good piece.

As for Haywood, he'll only accept if you tell him it comes with hug-repellant.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to nzlemming,

As for Haywood, he’ll only accept if you tell him it comes with hug-repellant.

I had a quick Facebook chat with Jen last night, and she'd seen all the talk of hugging David. She thought it would be best not to warn him.

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to nzlemming,

As for Haywood, he’ll only accept if you tell him it comes with hug-repellant.

I’ll happily by-pass Haywood and indroduce wee-Bob to the Cuddle Monster. (Yeah, I know that sounds icky but screw it.) Emma also has first dibs on my supply of bum-pinching, boob admiration and general gropeage. Sorry, David and Jen - you're top of the wait list.

• Martin Lindberg,

Would leave, but for cats, who are badly stressed.

You’re a better cat-person than I am. But then again, I’m a dog.

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• Andre Alessi, in reply to Megan Wegan,

It's great to hear that you're doing OK!

Devonport, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 864 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

You're a better cat-person then I am. But then again, I'm a dog.

Shhh! No-one's supposed to know!

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

Great to see your words back online Emma.

Yes David probably wins for coherency on an phone at 2 am ... how did they know he was the right person to ask?

But for the sense of chaos I like your description better.

And how can you be called a marshmallow, being pathetic after going through that experience is normal - which raises the question of why I'm feeling so pathetic 750 km away.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Bart Janssen,

And how can you be called a marshmallow

I think Emma knows I was taking the piss, because "coo, you're fucking awesome" is not how I usually roll. :)

• Emma Hart,

But for the sense of chaos I like your description better.

I briefly considered writing something organised and coherent, but a) I couldn't do it, and b) it wasn't fitting.

And... yes. Yous are all awesome in all your different ways.

We should tell Haywood the Hugging Booth is for me, he'll believe that. Then it only remains to lure him into it.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

Oh darling. That's all I have to say. If you're okay, we're okay.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Bart Janssen,

Yes David probably wins for coherency on an phone at 2 am … how did they know he was the right person to ask?

Toby Manhire was familiar with David's work and I was able to give Toby his mobile number.

I had no idea David would turn it around that fast, though. He's been known to tinker with a story for years before publication, and has previously expressed the view that he could never sit down and knock out a post in an hour like I'll often do.

Turns out, he can. With bloody great big knobs on.

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

I was taking the piss

I know Craig, I was referring to her self-deprecation.

of course "ooo you are so awesome" would have been so gay :P

• BenWilson,

So good to hear you again, Emma.

So barbecues have turned out to be the disaster appliance of choice? I was thinking on Tuesday that in-car phone rechargers might have proved very valuable too. A car battery can charge a cellphone a lot of times, and if the car's still working, the fuel means they can do it pretty much indefinitely.

Some people suggested solar and hand-cranking chargers, but I think that you don't want to be relying on it being sunny, and hand-cranking isn't so easy when you're exhausted.

Everyone seemed to suffer from rapid battery loss on Tuesday. I'm guessing that was from multiple competing signals, and maybe damage to cell sites causing every phone to have to push out further.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen, in reply to BenWilson,

maybe damage to cell sites causing every phone to have to push out further

huh really? So if you are near to a tower you use less energy than if you are far from one? Weird never thought it would work that way.

• BenWilson,

Pretty sure...that's why you lose power so much faster when you're in low coverage areas, like out in the country. Feel your phone next time - it gets noticeably hotter.

Phone are transmitters after all, and the distance they can signal is closely related to their power output.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Lara,

I also found that my cell started to lose battery very quickly BUT given the much-higher-than-normal* number of texts I was sending, perhaps not surprising.

Great to have you back Emma. This is a brilliant description of Round Two.

*My internal Thesaurus is yet to come back online post-Tuesday.

Christchurch • Since Jul 2009 • 82 posts Report Reply

• Thomas Johnson,

Great to hear from you Emma. Can't really imagine what it must be like to go through so much, and have it repeated even worse than the first time in September!

Car cell chargers are handy. Also a small 150W Inverter that can convert 12V DC to 240V AC is a useful thing to have when the power is out - can use a normal cellphone/laptop/psp/whatever charger then. I have one I take when camping w/o power.

Wellington • Since Oct 2007 • 98 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to BenWilson,

Everyone seemed to suffer from rapid battery loss on Tuesday. I’m guessing that was from multiple competing signals, and maybe damage to cell sites causing every phone to have to push out further.

I seem to recall something about continually having to renegotiate 3G data connections – ie, situation normal on Vodafone in some places anyway – also being a major battery drain.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.