Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The digital switch-off

223 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 Newer→ Last

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Gabor Toth,

she was also pretty upset the other day when in 60 seconds on TVNZ7 we went from "Giggles" at 7.59am to scenes of devastation and distraught people in Christchurch

Just had a vision of Suzy Cato reporting on the earthquake... weird.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Steve Barnes,

I wondered if Giggles was her nickname #nokids

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Gabor Toth,

Giggles has nothing to do with Suzy...

Wellington • Since Dec 2006 • 137 posts Report Reply

• Andre, in reply to Worik Stanton,

@Worik – sorry it’s taken a while to respond. And apologies for the long post. I agree with most of the policies of the Green party, but also think that to implement many of them will result in prices going up and will cost a lot. Here is a list of 68 policies that could be delayed because we are suffering the costs of a natural disaster in the middle of a depression (I also wish we’d fess up to that fact instead of blindly calling it a “double-dip recession") . I also have some ideas about ways to fund these changes – none of which I disagree with philosophically – such as the government growing and making money on the sale of marijuana if you are going to legalise it anyway, but it all comes down to a question of what will win you votes at this stage. I also think that you have a lot of policies that support women, families and minorities but none that support men – such as addressing the fact that girls get better marks than boys in our education system and end up more qualified than them for example.
    We’re in financial schtuck – shouldn’t we spend the Tobin tax here for example? Many of the Greens policies make sense long-term but have high short-term costs.

1. Protect business from outright competition with products and services from countries with poor human and worker rights records and with poor environmental practices
    2. Support mandatory certification of imported goods to show that they comply with minimum New Zealand environmental, safety and health standards
    3. Support research and development of new energy systems, transport systems, housing materials, organic production, information systems and technology
    4. Promote the target of half of New Zealand’s production becoming certified organic by 2020.
    5. Short-term loans and guarantees to producers making the switch to organics.
    6. Redirect funding for research into the development of organic systems, design and practice.
    7. Promote and encourage the establishment of educational opportunities in organic production.
    8. Limit urban sprawl to prevent loss of prime agricultural land
    9. Properly funding environmental and Treaty education
    10. Invest in preventative health care, to keep people well rather than wait till they are sick
    11. Improve funding and support delivered through the Ministry of Economic Development by focusing on clustering that increases energy efficiency and use of transport hubs
    12. Tobin tax – We would join the group of countries working to agree on a tax on international currency movements, to set up a fund to provide capital for poor countries to improve their social and environmental wellbeing. This would discourage currency speculation without being high enough to impede genuine trade.
    13. Workers, employers and unions all involved in decision-making about the workplace.
    14. Workplace democracy and collective organisation are essential to address the inherent potential for inequality of power between employers and employees.
    15. Improve rights and protection for casual, seasonal, fixed term and temporary workers.
    16. Reduce the introduction of unwanted exotic species (eg by more public education, six-sided inspection of cargo containers, more staff training and technology.)
    17. A government commitment to ‘buy local’.
    18. Establish a high-level commission into the future of work.
    19. Use a combination of incentives and regulation to ensure that the negative environmental effects of E-Waste and IT products are internalised by the industry.
    20. Set a timetable for the transition to mandatory Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR)
    21. Promote the development and use of energy efficient IT products.
    22. Fund organisations that collect, process; reuse and resell used IT products.
    23. Ensure that E-Waste is not exported to regimes with weaker environmental and occupational standards than our own
    24. The Green Party will change the funding model for research so that multi-disciplinary environmental and social issue projects are emphasised.
    25. Develop fuel efficiency standards for all motor vehicles entering New Zealand
    26. Make emissions testing part of warrant of fitness inspections.
    27. Encourage integrated land-use planning; help communities move away from car-orientated ‘big-box’ retailing, towards ‘urban village’ models of development.
    28. Introducing a carbon charge on fossil fuels, and using the revenue to reduce income tax on the bottom band, for everyone.
    29. Require an urgent independent review of Transpower’s planned grid upgrade with a view to developing alternatives that have less impact on the environment and better facilitate a sustainable energy system.
    30. Require energy retailers to buy or generate a proportion of their sales from renewable resources.
    31. Shift the West Coast economy away from coal mining.
    32. Fund an intensive programme of energy efficiency, renewable energy and transport programmes.
    33. Assist low income and vulnerable sectors of society to adjust to the resulting changes in the economy.
    34. Specific Policy Points – Conservation on Land:
    35. Oppose carve up of DoC
    36. Increase funding to restore capacity in science, education and field work
    37. Support advocacy role in RMA cases
    38. Increase funding for ground-based pest control
    39. Increase funding for conservation on private land, eg Nature Heritage Fund
    40. Tighten biosecurity measures
    41. Public Access
    42. ‘Access Commissioner’ to: negotiate, advise, report and develop code of conduct
    43. Financial support for landowners who need signs and fencing
    44. Boost Nature Heritage Fund to be able to purchase more leases
    45. Expand Greens’ environmental legal aid fund established in ‘Budget 2000’
    46. Establish a contestable fund to support sustainable land management practices on farms, paid for by a levy on nitrogen and phosphate fertiliser matched by government funding.
    47. Prohibit the import of vehicles older than 7 years unless they can demonstrate they meet strict emissions standards
    48. Increase funding and capacity in colleges of education and schools so that environmental education can be delivered in all schools, and develop cross-curricula achievement standards
    49. Support and fund research into the development of non-toxic alternatives to toxic substances.
    50. Investigate a national levy on all waste disposed of in landfills;
    51. Increase the level of funding to DoC, MfE and MAF for pest control
    52. Ensure that the Q E II Trust and Nga Whenua Rahui are adequately resourced
    53. Increase incentives for private landowners with indigenous forest on their property to protect, maintain and expand their forests.

54. Support Research & Development of benefit to the forestry industry, including:
    55. Projects on the use of wood and wood waste as an energy source;
    56. Promoting wood as an alternative to energy intensive building products; and
    57. Funding research and development into converting lignin and cellulose from wood into fuels, chemical feedstock and other products to replace oil and coal derived materials.
    58. Extend economic incentives currently offered only to large overseas film productions to locally written and produced smaller budget films.
    59. ecognise the value of community arts and community arts organisations through Creative Communities funding.
    60. Provide funding for Arts Education officers (from the Ministry of Education) to support the Arts Education strategy and ensure it’s accessibility and implementation.
    61. Re-launch the Authors’ Fund under the umbrella of the Ministry of Culture and Heritage.
    62. Establish a Literature Commission to act as a champion for New Zealand writing and writers, examine issues such as copyright and digital rights and examine ways of raising remuneration for writers.
    63. Establish a Commission of Inquiry into the New Zealand education system.
    64. Increase the Operations Grant by 10%.
    65. Increase funding levels so that there are adequate resources in te reo for kura, kohanga reo, and other full immersion and bilingual learners.
    66. Increase the number of places and scholarships available for the training of Māori teachers and teachers in te reo.
    67. Increase the number of Māori advisers and resource teachers.
    68. Legal aid available for community organisations in matters of public interest, including Environment Court proceedings.

The words “increase”, “promote” or “fund” indicate new or increased spending – that’s a lot of dosh to come up with…
    Implementing stricter regimes on importing and manufacturing food and products will result in higher prices.
    As I mentioned earlier, the Green party is the only one that would currently attract my vote and that means that a lot of left-wingers who are less concerned with environmental, feminist and race issues are left disenfranchised currently.

New Zealand • Since May 2009 • 371 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Andre,

that means that a lot of left-wingers who are less concerned with environmental, feminist and race issues

So... Christ Trotter basically?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• NBH, in reply to Andre,

I understand the reasoning behind your objection to many of these Andre, but why are the following not doable in the current climate? I would've thought that number 17 in particular is highly relevant, as it would provide a stimulus (at least in the short-term) to the NZ economy.

13. Workers, employers and unions all involved in decision-making about the workplace.
    14. Workplace democracy and collective organisation are essential to address the inherent potential for inequality of power between employers and employees.
    15. Improve rights and protection for casual, seasonal, fixed term and temporary workers.
    17. A government commitment to ‘buy local’.

Wellington • Since Oct 2008 • 97 posts Report Reply

• Andre,

Chris Trotter - Dim Post had a good article on him recently... http://dimpost.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/chris-trotter-dislikes-milk-and-apples/
    A lot of the policies I've posted are worthy - but just expensive in the middle of a depression.

• Matthew Poole, in reply to Andre,

in the middle of a depression

I don't think we can be in a depression when we also have rampant price inflation. We've also had stagnant growth more than economic contraction. This might not matter to the average punter, but it's fairly important when officials are deciding that we should or should not use a term that'll cause fairly serious panic.

What we do need to hear is the term "stagflation", which is absolutely applicable to our current situation - the economy's stagnant, but inflation is well and truly on display.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Andre,

I think that employers take more risks than employees and should originally be given more control over their business decision making than employees. Number 14 is actually okay… I probably just copied it as part of a stream. Temporary workers are taken on because of the nature of the industries involved or often because the companies doing the hiring literally can’t afford a longer-term arrangement. I don’t agree with 90-day probation – but this policy doesn’t seem to cover that.
    If it costs a lot more to buy local then the government should buy overseas. Many of our local products are made for niche markets and are therefore more expensive than mass produced imported versions. Like buying 42 Below instead of Kristov (before their sale to Barcardi of course but you get my drift hopefully).
    Well on second thoughts I think there is always going to be an inequality of power between employers and employees no matter how much we legislate against it... one of these parties will always own the business and the other won't. Why not just bring back compulsory union membership and get it over and done with to achieve that?

• Andre,

@Matthew: Stagflation may be more correct but either way it's not business as usual...

• NBH, in reply to Andre,

If it costs a lot more to buy local then the government should buy overseas

And yet surely by buying products locally the government actually benefits from the increased company tax, as well as associated economic effects (e.g. if a given order is large enough that the company hires more staff it benefits from an increase in both PAYE and GST from the additional buying power from those staff). Even if this doesn't result in an actual increase in revenue, it can mitigate reductions.

Wellington • Since Oct 2008 • 97 posts Report Reply

• Andre,

I still think making buying locally compulsory will end up costing a lot more.

• Jan Farr, in reply to Steve Barnes,

Personally I would like to see a publicly funded channel showing only Documentary, Current Affairs and News with a daily discussion/forum type show discussing those shows with a satirical show for perspective.
    There you go, a mission statement in three lines. ;-)
    Who would be up for that?.

I say yes, yes, yes - as long as you could squeeze 'tennis' in there somewhere. Maybe under 'current affairs'.

Carterton • Since Apr 2008 • 395 posts Report Reply

• Andre,

I have to say that there are a huge number of environmental, race etc policies of the Greens that I have not included that I agree with that will still cost money but make a lot of sense... like all of the proposed changes to the fishing industry for example. It took hours to wade through it all but feel free to do so yourselves at http://www.greens.org.nz/policy2

• Marcus Turner,

I'm not looking at anyone. I just found this article on dealing with trolls (for future reference).

http://unarmed.shlomifish.org/909.html

Since Nov 2006 • 212 posts Report Reply

• Jan Farr, in reply to Islander,

@Islander - Don't you have Free to Air TV on the Coast? I do and I get Maori TV and quite a few other channels. There are still nights (as with Sky) when there's nothing to watch - but the big advantage is that my taxes have already paid for it.

• Matthew Poole, in reply to Andre,

I still think making buying locally compulsory will end up costing a lot more.

Compulsory under any circumstances is begging to be shafted. But where the difference in price is less than some arbitrary limit (say 10%), or a higher limit if the purchase relates to some prescribed list such as heavy manufacturing (eg: new trains), then the benefits to the country will make up for the extra cost.
    Also, requiring that contracts to construct overseas include involvement of local industry - the new trains for Auckland could've had the bodywork built in NZ, for example - would keep money in NZ even if the entire contract cannot be fulfilled domestically.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Andre,

@Marcus Turner: my initial post was in response to George Darroch's asking if Labour was undemocratic and a resulting convo with a request to shift the thread to this page: http://publicaddress.net/system/topic/2923/?i=25#replies
    Then I was attacked by an angry Green party member. Sorry for interrupting your train of thought...

• Andre,

@Matthew: Re "A government commitment to ‘buy local’". If limited as you suggest that would be fine. Maybe they should define their policy a bit more...

• Jan Farr, in reply to giovanni tiso,

But in a new initiative TVNZ revealed it would start a 24-hour Kidzone channel on Sky TV in May providing a venue for social obligations outside 7.

The new channel will have 30 to 50 per cent local content.

And there goes your tax cut - and a probably quite a bit more!

• BenWilson,

What we do need to hear is the term "stagflation", which is absolutely applicable to our current situation - the economy's stagnant, but inflation is well and truly on display.

Perhaps although it's not a noun that can be used to describe what we are in. We're not in a Stagflation.

It also seems to me that making up a new word to describe "the economy is really fucked" isn't really so helpful. When a Depression is defined in a highly technical way, that means that economists will prescribe measures to avoid it, which could be as bad or worse. When the idea is more general, then they have to fix it more generally too. I just don't see it as something easily measured by some golden ratio.

It's quite possible we could never, never have another Depression like the one in the 1930s, on all the indicators. But we could still have something just as bad. Unemployment probably doesn't need to rise as high as then to make society fall apart badly. We could have full employment, but at shockingly low rates, with runaway inflation, for instance. Then we're poor and getting poorer, but all the numbers are right. Or we could have skyrocketing unemployment, but it would hardly matter if everyone was rich as.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Jan Farr, in reply to Paul Campbell,

The big selling point of the switch from analog to digital was going to be that there would be more channels available on Freeview than the current analog free-to-air – this is going to make it a much harder sell ….

Good point! Maybe when the earth-quake news is over we'll get round to talking about these things in public.

• Geoff Lealand,

We're watching more TV than ever

Just to quibble a bit here, and use Craig's caution about the majestic plural, the 'we' here represents the 550 households on the Peoplemeter panel (which is dominated by Pakeha, middle-class and older viewers) who may be watching more television, on the behalf of the rest of us.

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Andre,

@Ben I think that we should means-test superannuation payments before we start attacking beneficiaries and low-earners, and no political parties are brave enough to address the issue. Support the 70% of elderly who need support - for sure. We are in trouble financially and the idea that we pay $16500 to Michael Fay, even though he resides abroad, seems unfair. The older generation have paid taxes but not compulsory super - so doesn't that make the pension a benefit?

• Andre,

And just to support the meme of this thread I agree that the best programmes from TVNZ7 should be screened on TV1 or 2 or a public broadcaster showing news, doco's and current affairs-only would be a good idea.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.