Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: An excellent evening in Newtown

157 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 7 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

BTW, staying at friends on the Petone Esplanade, and there is much non-silliness. Might put off the ramble along the beach for a few hours, but not running for the hills either.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• recordari,

Hmm, seems this might be best place to say thanks for last night. Wonderful evening, great people and food, and stimulating conversation and coffee. One of which kept my mind racing well into the night.

Speaking of atmosphere, here's the recording of New Order at BDO 2002 as described.
    Hope you find this Steve.

Ka kite ano.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to recordari,

Hope you find this Steve.

Found it is.
    Can't play it too loud though, head hurts ;-)

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to recordari,

Speaking of atmosphere,

I just found this on Soundcloud
    This I can play LOUD
    Dark Star ( Closing Winterland)- The Grateful Dead

• Steve Barnes,

That link should have been this one

• Russell Brown, in reply to Steve Barnes,

Can’t play it too loud though, head hurts ;-)

I seem to have no whisky left.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Russell Brown,

Some of us have very good instincts about this kind of thing, and leave before chaos ensues.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• kmont, in reply to Hilary Stace,

I did not see that swan or talk to you this time, which is a shame...

...but the event was the right thing at the right time.

wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 485 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Some of us have very good instincts about this kind of thing, and leave before chaos ensues.

There was no chaos. We simply became more articulate.

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

Extremely. There was even philosophy.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

Hillary:

Russell, I will try to remember to click on the ads on this website, since someone is counting, rather than just note them ephemerally.

I got the impression that that may not be what Russell wants. Since he would be forced to to take "performance pay". I also got the impression after talking to Keith Ng Thurs (Let slip he was an ex Mad Ad Man so he knows!!) that there may not be such a clear link between clicks and product selling.....

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Ross Mason,

I got the impression that that may not be what Russell wants. Since he would be forced to to take “performance pay”.

We don't have anything to do with "performance-based" advertising (ie: cost-per-click) any more, fortunately. But clickthrough rates are still regarded as a relevant metric.

• Hilary Stace, in reply to kmont,

I've been on china alert recently looking for replacements for Emma's broken china cottage and pony, but that Crown Lynn swan vase was large and elegant and unmissable if you happened upon it. Like this but without the sunglasses. I expect there is one at the Crown Lynn exhibition at the City Art Gallery that I haven't got to yet.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Hilary Stace,

I expect there is one at the Crown Lynn exhibition at the City Art Gallery that I haven’t got to yet.

Thanks for the reminder that I've got to slot in a more leisurely (and note-taking) second pass. IIRC, the show runs until the end of next month but if you're anything like me, that just means you'll end up in a panic on closing weekend...

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Sacha,

Extremely. There was even philosophy.

You get that when you invite philosophers to your parties.

• Russell Brown, in reply to recordari,

Hmm, seems this might be best place to say thanks for last night. Wonderful evening, great people and food, and stimulating conversation and coffee. One of which kept my mind racing well into the night.

It was great to meet you. And now that we have accepted the official advice to never turn off the machine, the coffee is coming out quite beautifully.

• recordari, in reply to Russell Brown,

And now that we have accepted the official advice to never turn off the machine, the coffee is coming out quite beautifully.

Thanks again. Certainly makes a difference leaving machine on, but I've had to remember to clean it regularly, as the filters can get pretty clogged.

Wish I'd stuck around for the philosophy. I could sense the conversation was gonna get deep. Jackie and I could have talked art until the cows come home.

Surprised how many people I knew from former work and play in those gathered. Well, maybe not so surprised. It's a village out there really.

Seems there might be a PAS Salon in the offing. "Aut delectare aut prodesse est". Eat, drink and be merry, right? You and Fiona are great hosts.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• David Cormack,

You get that when you invite philosophers to your parties.

I have a degree in philosophy and every time I turn to Saturday's job section I never see ads for philosophers (I also have a degree in Political Science, another rare job opportunity!), how does one become a philosopher? And is it a vocation found at the bottom of a glass?

Suburbia, Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 218 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to recordari,

I like that idea very much. Perhaps we could instigate one? Although, I believe that the refreshments at the traditional Salons were a bit minimal.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

I have a degree in philosophy and every time I turn to Saturday’s job section I never see ads for philosophers (I also have a degree in Political Science, another rare job opportunity!), how does one become a philosopher? And is it a vocation found at the bottom of a glass?

In my experience (MA in Phil from VUW), most philosophy graduates ended up the same sort of place as most other arts graduates. Short of academia, good luck finding something that uses your degree. In terms of job prospects, the most useful thing I got out of my degree was probably the experience of teaching tutorial groups while I did my postgrad.

That said, one of my classmates got a job teaching an ethics course to NSW police. "But you're an epistomologist, not an ethicist!" I exclaimed with surprise.

"A job's a job," she replied.

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to JackElder,

epistomologist

Is that the art of finding openings?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

If you want to drink together and talk philosophy, what you want is a SYMPOSIUM.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• David Cormack,

Short of academia, good luck finding something that uses your degree.

I ended up doing comms for the man. Go figure.

if you want to drink together and talk philosophy, what you want is a SYMPOSIUM

Is that a symposium on philosophy or do all symposiums lead to bullshit?

Suburbia, Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 218 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

Is that the art of finding openings?

No, that's a cat burgler, or a spelunker.

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to David Cormack,

Is that a symposium on philosophy or do all symposiums lead to bullshit?

I think Stephen's point is that all symposiums are about drinking.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.