Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Some Politics

129 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Rob Stowell,

James, I quite argree about the futility of the echo chamber. That's why I've spent a fair bit of time hanging out at Right Reason - I figured, partly correctly, that it might be possible to have constructive disagreement with folks on the other side of the "culture war"- and who better to argue with than philosphers? (Not that this is a meme I've brought up before, but it's also where I've encountered the conservatives debate about Giuliani- there are a few contributors in the comments who claim they'd never vote for him.)
    I also have an unhealthy obsession with US politics- talk to my therapist. (In NZ, this is the person who gets pist with my therapin.) I read articles and blogs and scan youtube and scan blog-comments far too much. That in part is because, although I have kiwi citizenship as well, I was born in the US and retain citizenship. Got cousins uncles aunts etc are scattered from Pensacola to Seattle. So I could say- James, you're a bloody kiwi, how can you possibly understand us Americans?
    But that's just another version of an argumentum ad verecundiam- and rightly dismissed, if the authority is not relevent. Simon- a kiwi in Indonesia?- is clearly better informed than either of us!
    I agree that it's valuable and insightful when talking about a people to be among them. But as you've pointed out, the US is a vast place- and with respect, New Orleans ain't at the centre (in fact it seems in danger of being dropped off the edge.)
    Returning to the point!: you seem to be echoing a beltway consensus that the Democrats look petty pushing the Plame affair and the USA firings- as if they just want Rove's scalp 'cos they're pissed off. What most Americans see is an administration that has crossed the boundaries of incompetence and corruption, and desperately needs to be held accountable.

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report

• Rob Stowell,

An interesting interview with the US Attorney who more-or-less sparked off the story of the "purge"- David Inglesias. He comes across as a decent man in a bad spot.

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report

• Ben Austin,

Very interesting, although it does appear he did act a little improperly with regards to some of the precursor events. Although perhaps understandably, given his relationship with the senator in question. Clearly a loyal republican until the event though, which is interesting

London • Since Nov 2006 • 1027 posts Report

• Simon Grigg,

And talking of echo chambers, the sub editors at the Independent today seem to have found one:

Bush and Blair Vent Anger....

Bush Vents Fury...

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.