Cracker by Damian Christie

Read Post

Cracker: RIght On.

120 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• BenWilson, in reply to Sacha,

Quite interesting, although I think both Hager and Gustafson focus just a little too much on the influence of Brash in the party, without really considering how he came to be the leader of that party. How credible is it that no-one amongst all those career politicians understood what the guy was about? It was bloody obvious even to "the punters in punterland".

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Sacha,

Same people deep behind both is what I've been saying and you have been resisting hearing it seems.

I've heard it, Sacha. I'm just not buying what you're selling, and you're not making much of a case to change my mind.

(Sanctuary, this is where you swoop in -- just cut and paste the script I prepared earler.)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Alex Coleman,

Brash and Banks hatched their plans for a comeback about four months ago but the decision to make a run for ACT was not finalised till last month, when Hide offered Brash the co-leadership, which he rejected.

Brash and Banks confirmed yesterday there had been talks with people within the wider National Party, but would not say who. But there had been no talks with Key or his inner circle.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/4939515/Key-talks-down-Brash-Cabinet-role

They are not just not denying it, as it were.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 247 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

I'm just not buying what you're selling

Back to that cake stall to raise funds for the party, eh

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Alex Coleman,

I'm curious why Brash is saying Epsom is no longer a priority. Either he rates himself beyond all evidence as capable of overcoming ACTs scandalous image (despite his own rather scandalous one), and pushing them beyond the threshold. Or he's got something else up his sleeve. Where's he going to stand if Banks is in Epsom? Wellington Central perhaps?

• Mikaere Curtis, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

You’ve pulled this on me before, so I won’t bother asking for an apology and retraction. But it would nice if you’d think a little about respect being a two way street and snidely dog-whistling that people you disagree with are like child abusers isn’t even close.

You may have misread - I said "Paternal" not parental. As in patriarchal authoritarianism. And, no, I wasn't dogwhistling. But I do find the whole attitude of "we know better than you, and will override your wishes" to be somewhat patronising.

@ Graeme

The Don Brash National Party opposed the Foreshore and Seabed Act =)

True, but only because it didn't go far enough. So you have two classes of owner - aboriginal (who will be vastly Maori, if not completely) and fee simple (a mixture). They F&S act only applied to one group, who just happened to be vastly (or wholly) Maori, and not to the others. Surely you can see a problem here ?

Tamaki Makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 528 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Sacha,

Oddly enough, Sacha, there are still one or two people who get off their arses and participate instead of bitching on the sidelines. And, yes, people still fundraise for political parties old school. You might also want to de-bitch for a moment and give a little respect to the people of all political stripes and party affiliations who are going to be out on the streets campaigning. Yes, the days when National and Labour were credibly claiming to have hundreds of thousands of members are gone. There's plenty of reasons to cynical about politics and the political process, but I'm just a little tired of being patronising and treated like an idiot because you don't like the party I support and belong to.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

Where's he going to stand if Banks is in Epsom?

Tamaki?

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to 3410,

Could be - an electorate with a proud history of voting in ex-leaders of the National party, no matter how old and doddery they've become, or how much of a cock they were when they held the country in their iron fist for nearly a decade.

give a little respect to the people of all political stripes and party affiliations who are going to be out on the streets campaigning

Wouldn't you say opposing big money and backroom power is exactly that? If I were the rank and file volunteers I'd feel mighty pissed off at what has played out this week. And corrupted processes aren't good for any of us regardless of what movements or organisations we might support.

• Sacha, in reply to 3410,

Tamaki

Boscawen, innit?

I'm just a little tired of being patronising

Glad to hear that.

• Mike Graham, in reply to BenWilson,

Boscowan looks as if he might be making a play for Tamaki - ads have recently appeared in the East & Bays Courier with his office listed as being in Kohi.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 206 posts Report Reply

• Craig Young,

Er, no-one seems to be asking whether the Donald or John Banks *could* win Epsom for ACT. It's an urban liberal seat- look at the yes vote on the belting referendum back in 2009 and the fact that the only sitting MP that was defeated was that bent old duffer Richard Worth. Christine Fletcher and Rodney were quite liberal on social issues,, until Rodders had an attack of the Mad Populist Gits,,,

Craig Y

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 573 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

Eh? Don will give the Brethren a call wouldn't he?

Brash and Banks confirmed yesterday there had been talks with people within the wider National Party

I remember the Wgtn Town Hall election public meeting in 1975 when the banner fell down with "Jack Stabber" on it. (Muldoon has just rolled Jack Marshall).

There is at least one yellow jacket with a slot in the back of it. I wonder if John has ordered a stab proof plice vest yet? This "Wider National Party" must be fun place to share a beer.

Edit: I forgot to finish by saying ACT will be gone by lunchtime of the day after the election.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Allan Moyle,

Don Brash is seventy. John Banks is sixty five. Roger Douglas is seventy five. ...

I wonder if this will mean the Parliamentary budget for adult incontinence pants will need to be vastly increased?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 104 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

but I'm just a little tired of being patronising and treated like an idiot because you don't like the party I support and belong to.

Let's call it election year fever

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

You've got to be extracting the urine. Do you know anyone involved with ACT, or are they the Higgs boson in your model of the political universe?

The question really is, to what extent have significant people in the National Party been consulted, and to what extent do they support him. Brash says that he's spoken to people on the inside, which isn't surprising given that he was (still is?) a member two days ago - and a significant one. He's ruled out Key's inner circle. But has he spoken to national MPs? Senior campaign staff? Significant people in electorates? Professionals in advertising etc attached to national?

Over the next couple of months we'll see if him taking over ACT is going to have any significant impacts upon National in terms of members changing over, people switching. A major coup would be a sitting MP or two changing to ACT.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

The way things are going, here are the parties we'll be voting for...

- Il Partito Nazionale di Nuova Zelanda
    - Il Partito Laburista di Nuova Zelanda
    - Il Partito Verdi
    - Il Associazione dei Consumatori e Contribuenti
    - Nuova Zelanda Primo
    - Il Partito Maori
    - Uniti-Futuro Nuova Zelanda
    - Il Partito Mana
    - Il Partito Alleanza di Nuova Zelanda
    - Il Partito Riforma Nuova Zelanda
    - Il Libertarianz

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Hone Harawira's party has website: http://mana.net.nz
    (h/t DigitalMaori)

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.