Southerly by David Haywood

Read Post

Southerly: Things to be Grateful For: A Snowy Morning

99 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Emma Hart,

My partner is now adamant we need to buy a plunger and an egg-whisk.

Emma! Must you bring your sex life into every thread?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to David Haywood,

Wow, that’s some pretty photography, Joe! As opposed to my holiday snap talents…

Mine too, actually. There are a few crash-hot local pictakers I know of, but only one dedicated enough to hit the snowy streets at 4 a.m.

Really envy Bob's igloo, btw.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Joe Wylie,

When it happened just that particular variety for miles around would bolt to seed and die.

Aparently they do that

In fact, many bamboos only flower at intervals as long as 65 or 120 years. These taxa exhibit mass flowering (or gregarious flowering), with all plants in the population flowering simultaneously. The longest mass flowering interval known is 130 years, and is found for all the species Phyllostachys bambusoides (Sieb. & Zucc.). In this species, all plants of the same stock flower at the same time, regardless of differences in geographic locations or climatic conditions, then the bamboo dies.

I was wondering if the rapid growth may be a precursor to such an event.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Steve Barnes,

I was wondering if the rapid growth may be a precursor to such an event.

It's what I thought of when you mentioned it. I've only seen bamboo flowering twice, once in the late 70s in Wellington, and about 10 years later in the Auckland area. Typical grass flowers, turning to seed heads like rye grass. In both cases it was that common running variety that's a noxious weed in places like Greymouth district (I've seen it overwhelming native bush near Blackball). Something triggers its clock and there's a mass flowering followed by the big die-off. Bad time to be a panda.

I remember a dismal rainy drive through drawn-out Dargaville where there was a lot of bamboo up farmhouse driveways etc. It looked as if the place had been hit with agent orange. Apparently some of the non-running varieties have become so dependent on suckering that they've never been known to flower.

• Islander, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Yep, common running bamboo - and so-called bamboo grass- are noxious weeds* as far south as Haast.
    I asked my big nursery cousin for a variety of bamboo** that wouldnt engulf the entire neighbourhood and he gave me a plant, v.thin-stemmed, that - he garenteed- would be green forever and stay put...it has done so, and is still a joy.

*I sometimes think today's noxious weed (furze, wilding pines, bamboo) may be tomorrow's really useful plant. I know this is not a popular view with DoC.
    **I plant symbolic things in places that I love: here, it was an apple tree (Cox's Orange), a totara (there were none on the flat at the time of planting) the bamboo, and 3 different types of ti-rakau...they all thrive.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

keeping our powder dry...
    I wrote an early morning comment - but then my wireless connection faded as the snow flurries thickened - but I was impressed that the Press delivery got through, and less impressed that several large snow-laden branches fell on the car (no real damage luckily the car had a padding of powder snow too) and in the absence of any small quakes to do the job, I had to go out and whack some of the other trees and shrubs which were at breaking point...
    ...it was pretty neat watching it snow most of the day - then the sun came out for a while and it was all drip, drip, drip - now it's all cold, dark and slushy out there...
    Life is ever interesting down here...

PS: loved that "the icing on the quake" line...
    and Islander surely your mum's dog would be a Bijon Freeze today?

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Yo! Good one! - Bella is a nice little animal, and, like all her kind, she has a thick woolly coat. Unfortunately her pads - and tongue- dont-

• David Haywood, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Really envy Bob’s igloo, btw.

With the housing shortage in Christchurch we’re planning to rent it out. In fact, your envy has made us raise our original asking price.

SPECIFICATIONS: Suitable for a family of four. Refrigeration included at no extra cost: $450 per week. No vegetarians. Suitable for people who like the colour white.

Dunsandel • Since Nov 2006 • 1156 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to David Haywood,

Refrigeration included at no extra cost: $450 per week. No vegetarians.

Perfect spot to chill out & chew the fat.

• Ross Mason,

As an old Antarctic explorer, may I comment on your "igloo". We were taught how to make both igloo and hedgehog. Yours is technically a hedgehog. What is supposed to happen is the support you piled the snow over gets removed and the inside hole gets 'chiselled' out to fit he who wishes to inhabit the 'obbit hole. We piled snow over our packs. The snow (if it is crispy enough) will stick quite nicely such that you can even stand on it.

How goes your snow??? Is suspect your snow is NZ sea level snow. Wet.

And when the wind stops blowing.....isn't it amazingly quiet??? I remember being in the Windless Bight, south of Ross Island. The quietest place I have ever experienced. Nothing. White, deep snow, miles from anywhere and you could even hear your blood flow. Breathing was too noisy.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Ross Mason,

White, deep snow, miles from anywhere and you could even hear your blood flow. Breathing was too noisy.

My mother reports that the local hoons - who use her street as part of their circuit- and the truckies - who normally also use her street as part of their detour route-are conspicuously absent. "It's so quiet...."

Snow itself: the sound of silence-

and yes, the snow has been both *coastal* and sealevel through much of the south.

• Ross Mason,

Heh.

So...Hilary...are we off to the knackers now?

Pssst....call me. I'm good with gizmos.

Nice tree hut though...don't you think?

• Hilary Stace, in reply to Ross Mason,

Lovely tree hut, beautiful ladder. I like engineers (my father had three engineering degrees but wasn't very good at the practical application), and just got that clip from another source and it seemed appropriate, although it was not about snow.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to David Haywood,

Suitable for people who like the colour white

non-hillside modernist decor

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Amy Gale, in reply to Jolisa,

Perhaps it’s because I’m in upstate New York at the moment, remembering the long grey winters here...

How're you liking the unbearable heat we have right now, then, eh? Gaaah. I would happily - happily - donate a good twenty or thirty degrees to the good people of Christchurch.

On the plus side, I can now tell you the closest ice cream purveyor to any point in town, and have finally figured out what the "mist" setting on the hose is for.

tha Ith • Since May 2007 • 471 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Ice Station Zebra crossing
    it's a crunchy morning in Chchch
    all the snow is now iceblocks or sheets
    cars sound like icebreakers outside...

...so watch out under trees & eaves today folks
    Gravity is implacable and meltwater
    a great lubricant, cycle helmets all round!

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• webweaver, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Meanwhile, MetService spokesman Bob McDavitt said he heard a report of a snow flake being seen in Lambton Quay. I’m off to build the world’s smallest snowman.

I can confirm that more than one flake of snow was seen in Kelburn - it snowed at my place for oooohhh, 5 minutes at least! Very exciting! Except I was so busy tweeting about it it didn't occur to me to take a photo. Darn it!

Today is a beautiful blue-sky day here in Welli - and it's FREEZING - although I suspect not quite as freezing as the South Island. * sigh * I miss proper snow.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 332 posts Report Reply

• Marcus Turner,

I apologise for the threadjack, but I keep forgetting to post this on a Friday. It's irrelevant, of course (to pretty much everything).

Since Nov 2006 • 212 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Marcus Turner,

I downloaded that for a friend of the teutonic persuasion a while back, who blurted out "That's beautiful!" at about 5 seconds in, before remembering that they were supposed to laugh at it.

• Ross Mason,

Horns of the di lemma? Horn, horns, horning around.

Lederhausen or as Wiki points out, these are more correctly Liederhosen, song-breeches.

Their socks are down!!!! A bit Ruff.

Heh. Try this armpit muso
    or this guy

I bet both their names are Stan.

• Megan Wegan, in reply to webweaver,

I can confirm that more than one flake of snow was seen in Kelburn - it snowed at my place for oooohhh, 5 minutes at least!

I can corroborate that in Highbury, there was snow for, oh, less than 5 minutes, on and off. It was kind of pathetic, but not something you see in Wellington every day.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Islander,

and yes, the snow has been both *coastal* and sealevel through much of the south.

Snowman is an Island-
    er.

Still can't get over that Snow Dalek. That was just awesomeness personified.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to recordari,

Is that Donne gagging out there in the sleet?
    Shall I rush out and toll the fire bell?
    Nah, it's too bloody cold...

but the puns & wordplay from you jokers are quite warming-

• Jackie Clark,

Ironically, David, whilst in Fiji, Kath pxted me with a photo of her 17cm of snow in normally balmy Waimairi Beach. Lovely. And yes, think of how much your house has seen in the last 100 yrs. She is far too lovely to be laid waste to.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.