Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: We interrupt this broadcast ...

372 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 Newer→ Last

• Islander, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

ou were lucky, I got, Sofie is doing well in Math but could do better if she came to class.

My mother still has a school report for me that says (for, respectively.
    English/History/Geography where I came 1st, 1st, & 1st)-
    *Could do better
    *Doesnt bother trying
    *Is insubordinate and practices (sic) silent insolence.

That last comment came from a weird wee wannabe soldier (he was crisp & loud at cadets-)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Sacha,

inflatables

They've let the country and themselves down, then
    ;- ()

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Keir Leslie,

The Greens have a problem with branding though, as they veer between unpolished sincerity and slickness. I don't quite know what is happening to the Greens at the moment, but they seem worryingly uncool.

Since Jul 2008 • 1452 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Islander,

I was labelled as intransigent. My father was furious. At me!

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Goodoh,

The poll in the media today says JK is doing well with young, male Aucklanders. Who presumably aren't at home on a Friday night watching the box. And presumably the handshake didn't bother them either. Or Rena. An hour on the radio would've hit the spot though.

Wellington • Since Feb 2008 • 25 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

The LP doco-cum-launch is impressive but Our Helen seems to be missing from the history. My Touch is refusing to access the Nats launch (wise little device) and I fear the ACT show might well fry it.

School cadets? I don't hold grudges (well, not many) but jeez did I hate school cadets. Bumped up little bullies and cowed school boys. I do believe it was the genesis of my loathing of the military, and authority figures generally.

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand, in reply to Goodoh,

How young? Five year olds?

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Goodoh,

Presumably voters.
    Listening to Act radio broadcast. I think Don roped in his relations.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Goodoh,

The poll in the media today says JK is doing well with young, male Aucklanders. Who presumably aren’t at home on a Friday night watching the box. And presumably the handshake didn’t bother them either. Or Rena. An hour on the radio would’ve hit the spot though.

It will really only be effective if it's consistently executed across a range of media.

Labour's online advertising is all going through a conventional media buyer, which I don't actually think is the right call. They should back themselves and their agency to buy at least some of the campaign directly -- if only to avoid losing a big chunk of the budget in commissions.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Goodoh,

I agree. There's a buzz about them today and being unconventional will build on that courage/creative feeling people are beginning, ever so tentatively, to develop.

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to John Morrison,

He speaks ponderously and accurately I know, but I would trust him long before his opponent.

What's wrong with Jackie Blue?

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Paul Campbell,

Oh dear – trying to make Act people smile on cue – their teeth almost fall oout

On the other hand whoever did the Maori Party ad needs lots more practice before they use the green screen again ....

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• JoJo,

I can't bear to watch the National one, as JK makes my skin crawl. But I hope he says "I'm relaxed about that" at least once in the piece. It's so important to have a catch-phrase...

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 95 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

Colin Craig is hilarious. The Alliance; sadly, I didn't even realise they were even running a campaign.

Libertarianz are proposing that Christchurch become a zone with no taxes, and absolutely no laws or regulation. The doors will be locked, and after ten years the survivors will emerge.

The ALCP's use of fades was fascinating.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Graeme Edgeler,

What’s wrong with Jackie Blue?

More's the point, what's she done?

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• izogi, in reply to Russell Brown,

David Cunliffe, former corporate consultant, is presented as an old-fashioned tramper.

Actually one of the most off-putting things I found in that video was David Cunliffe casually carrying a big pack without using the hip-belt to off-set the load. I bet there was barely anything in it!

Of course, I also had the sound mostly down because I didn't want my wife to notice me watching a political broadcast. Labour didn't subtitle it so I really only had pictures to influence my judgement.

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 1142 posts Report Reply

• Paul Campbell,

Peter Dunne's hair continues to amaze ...

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

More’s the point, what’s she done?

Nothing to make anyone consider her untrustworthy so far as I know.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Just watched them all including tonight's offerings. The National one looks like it is filmed in Turnbull House across the road from the Beehive and you don't need many people in that room to make it look full. That room is exposed to a lot of road noise so I wonder if that explains the background hum, or maybe they filmed it in the middle of the night which explains the dim lighting.

The Act one is scary while the Conservative man looks pretty friendly - I wonder if he will pick up Act's votes when they finally implode. Winston had trouble reading his autocue and Peter Dunne had been airbrushed. The Maori Party was full of the MPs' relations. Pity none from Mana.

But I was genuinely impressed by Labour's one. Maybe because I'm into NZ history and some of those images are very familiar - but I also thought some of their historical interpretation was pretty clever. It's almost like something from Te Ara and their easy-access history is very popular, and also gently emotional.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to George Darroch,

Libertarianz are proposing that Christchurch become a zone with no taxes, and absolutely no laws or regulation. The doors will be locked, and after ten years the survivors will emerge.

Escape from Christchurch, much?

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Graeme Edgeler,

Nothing to make anyone consider her untrustworthy so far as I know.

There was that thing about John Key's poster girl's Mother from McGehan Close, She was supposed to give her a job, lasted almost as long as the jobs created by the cyclepath.
    But it may just be the haircut.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Cecelia,

I loved the Labour ad. It hit all the right buttons for me, an old Labour voter veering towards the Greens. I thought PG was at his best. He sounded more direct and sincere than usual while his team were superb.

I thought the Greens would have been better. I found their presentation forced or phoney and lacking in passion. The Maori Party tonight had a very unfortunate ad from the parts I saw. Like the Greens they have a lot to offer but where's the depth of vision and passionate commitment - something Labour had in spades.

Hibiscus Coast • Since Apr 2008 • 559 posts Report Reply

• JLM,

I heard several of them both on radio and tv, as Natrad was on half an hour earlier, and a couple - definitely Alliance and I think Libertarianz - were completely different. Kay Murray, Alliance co-leader, read theirs.

Judy Martin's southern sl… • Since Apr 2007 • 241 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

The Act ad. Awkward.

Noddies are a skill, and you shouldn’t expect people to get that skill straight away. And the patriotic folk song is just weird.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Jackie Clark,

By that high school report, my father was dead.
    My mother said - as far as I remember ( my memory is *very* good)(especially for crap like that) - " would you like some more pastels?"

(We'd been collecting my book prizes for the past 4 years, but I'd upped & shown this proclivity for art - and my mother - who is a calligrapher, encourage/d/es that in a wonderfully supportive way.

(They were Faber-Castell charcoal pastels, and I still have some.)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.