Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Presentation and Reality

68 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Kumara Republic,

More Dubya than Thatcher I reckon.

I dunno.
    It seems to me that the only real difference, is here in NZ we can fuck the poor off to Australia and let the wealthy enjoy “100% Clean Green NZ” but who is going to keep their bogs clean while they dabble in delusional dollars?

Praise Allah for alusuralily attitudanal averice… or not…

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Steve Barnes,

ACT, apparently, is an acronym for Association
    of Consumers and Tax payers

A O CAT P has a much better ring to it!
    current Govt = reigning Cats n Dogs...
    as it were, as u were...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• merc, in reply to Kumara Republic,

Actually Ralph Wiggum came to mind, really he did.
    http://members.fortunecity.com/cgraham1/cgraham1/id1.html

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

I think the odd thing was that they headlined the story with the “top 10 points” or whatever, then the story spent quite a few words waffling and not delivering on the headline. I felt badly served as a reader,

Oh sure. But "reprint anything that party leaders say" is a terrible solution to bad journalism, which is what people were suggesting.

Labour party have plenty of platforms to get their list of the week out themselves without the expectation that daily papers should reprint their adverts as news.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• merc,

Would have got front page easy if they listed top 10 National cafe's.

• Richard Grevers,

I had a dream... NZ First gathers momentum and gets 4.7% of the vote - but no seat. ACT gets 4% but loses Epsom. Their votes come from National who only get 44%. Labour and Greens get through :-)

New Plymouth • Since Jul 2011 • 143 posts Report

• merc,

Front page and is either DPF is a seer or a charlatan,
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10765272

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Richard Grevers,

I had a dream… NZ First gathers momentum and gets 4.7% of the vote – but no seat. ACT gets 4% but loses Epsom. Their votes come from National who only get 44%. Labour and Greens get through :-)

You forgot the Conservatives.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Richard Grevers, in reply to Kumara Republic,

You forgot the Conservatives

I didn't think there were enough skinheads here to make an impact

New Plymouth • Since Jul 2011 • 143 posts Report

• Tom Semmens, in reply to merc,

It is a disgrace that he is allowed to continue writing his column two weeks out from polling day. It is an extended party political broadcast not extended to other parties.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to merc,

Front page and is either DPF is a seer or a charlatan

Outrageously obvious dogwhistling to the right's voters.

The Herald DigiPoll released this morning indicates that a Labour-led Govt is a possibility, if NZ First make 5% and Epsom voters do not vote for John Banks and Ohariu voters ditch Peter Dunne.

Ironically the DigiPoll also found 40% of voters wanted the Greens to go into coalition with National. Other polls have found Green voters say their Preferred Prime Minister is John Key. This reflects how successful their strategy has been to not rule National out. However what many voters do not realise, is that if a Labour-led Government is possible, then there is no way the Greens will not make that happen. Any deal with National would only occur if National could govern regardless of Green support.

And the notion of a coalition involving both Mana and Maori parties or both Greens and Winston First is presented as realistic rather than preposterous.

What no one has focused on is what could a Labour-Green-NZ First-Maori-Mana Government look like.

Couldn't pass up the chance of a parting shot at MMP either.

So as we head into the final fortnight before the election, a Labour-Green-NZ First-Maori-Mana Government may become a viable alternative to National winning the election. It will be MMP politics at its best. The more parties you need to agree to govern, the more consensus you get - right?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Sacha,

Naturally the Herald will be offering a front page story to The Standard as balance.

• merc,

The win at any cost approach reeks of sadness. Really, there is more to life, insert Shakespeare quote here.

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Richard Grevers,

I had a dream…

Pass that pipe over here,
    I'd like some of that...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• James Bremner, in reply to Tom Semmens,

You think you have it bad? The cult of Obama would have to be the worst ever. As far as the main stream media is concerned, Obama's shit smells of roses. They didn't ask a single searching question or do any digging into his background prior to the election and haven't given him a tough interview since then. And to disagree with Obama and his policies is to be a crank and a racist.

NOLA • Since Nov 2006 • 353 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to James Bremner,

They didn't ask a single searching question or do any digging into his background prior to the election

Hilarious #truther

• Kumara Republic, in reply to James Bremner,

They didn’t ask a single searching question or do any digging into his background prior to the election and haven’t given him a tough interview since then.

Birther movement, much?

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Steve Barnes, in reply to James Bremner,

a crank and a racist.

My, that pointy white hat really suits you.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.