Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: How long the leash on the Fourth Estate?

112 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Russell Brown,

Don’t think they should sack Clarkson btw. They should make him ride around on a little trike with his nuts hanging out of his shorts though

Better still, how about a 'special episode' where his licence is revoked for a month? Now that would test his mettle.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens,

Brent Edwards on Checkpoint just claimed that Parker has pulled out of the Labour leadership race partially because the HoS has been snooping around asking questions about his private life.

Make of that what you will.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• TracyMac,

I loathed Clarkson when he was going on about black crippled lesbian mothers as a bit of a laff, and now that he's alienated a good chunk of his remaining constituency (despite their being commie union brethren), we can see who's laughing out of the other side of their face.

Also, for certain idiots who bitch about "pc gone mad" when it comes to exercising basic respect for each other, this is what comes round to bite you on the bum.

Canberra, West Island • Since Nov 2006 • 701 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to TracyMac,

One hopes so, with great white sharky-toothed gnashing jaws-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Tom Semmens,

Make of that what you will.

Not to put too fine a point on it, nothing that is of legitimate public interest or that reflects poorly on David Parker's character but says everything (and nothing flattering) about what passes for ethical and editorial judgement at the Herald on Sunday.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Rich Lock,

And if you’re buying the papers and watching the TV, then don’t complain about the content?

I wouldn't bitch so much about The Herald being a tabloid in all but format if it wasn't, effectively, the only daily newspaper serving almost half the country's population. The Daily Mail , The Sun, The (Sydney) Daily Telegraph and The New York Post may only be fit to be used as arse wipe in a long drop dunny, but at least they're not the only game in town.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

I wouldn’t bitch so much about The Herald being a tabloid in all but format if it wasn’t, effectively, the only daily newspaper serving almost half the country’s population.

Anyone brave enough to resurrect the Auckland Star? Because Fairfax probably isn't. And newspapers are shutting down or consolidating the world over.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Caleb D'Anvers, in reply to Kumara Republic,

Better still, how about a 'special episode' where [Clarkson's] licence is revoked for a month? Now that would test his mettle.

Yes! Statically charge him with a Van der Graaf generator so that every time he tries to start a car, it shorts out the ignition! Make him commute every day from Northampton to East London at rush hour. Using London Midland and the Circle and District Lines. Then film the gibbering, tearful, incoherent results.

London SE16 • Since Mar 2008 • 482 posts Report Reply

• Tamsin6, in reply to Caleb D'Anvers,

Make him commute every day from Northampton to East London at rush hour. Using London Midland and the Circle and District Lines. Then film the gibbering, tearful, incoherent results.

He already gibbers and raves about that stuff incoherently in practically every column he writes for the Sun. Usually, it leads to him ranting ad nauseum about how if everyone drove a great big manly powerful...car we wouldn't have to put up with all this pinko communist public transport crap. So I don't want to give him any more 'material' for his glib and fatuous shite.
    Can't we just take him outside and execute him in front of his - oh, wait.

London • Since Dec 2007 • 133 posts Report Reply

• Tamsin6, in reply to Rich Lock,

He's a great example of a one-trick pony whose one trick was mildly amusing for a very short while, but went stale a decade or two ago. Now he's desperately trying to keep it relevant by making it more and more extreme, flipping mild amusement over into mild irritation and slight surprise that people still pay attention to the silly child.

Which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact he is bezzie mates with the PM. And the rest of that lot.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/helen-lewis-hasteley/2011/07/clarkson-cameron-rebekah

Cameron shows such a startling lack of judgement in choosing friends and colleagues that I just can't wait to see who he appoints as his special new adviser on getting us laydees to vote for him again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061634/Cameron-calls-woman-assess-policies-bids-rescue-female-vote.html

• Caleb D'Anvers, in reply to Tamsin6,

Yeah, OK. Good point. I was thinking of relegating him permanently to public transport/silence as an end to his particular, sorry little media narrative. But you’re right: really, a fully functional, efficient, cheap British public transport system that worked would be the ultimate rejoinder to his schtick. Sigh. If only.

• Caleb D'Anvers,

Tamsin6: Which wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the fact he is bezzie mates with the PM. And the rest of that lot ... Cameron shows such a startling lack of judgement in choosing friends and colleagues that I just can’t wait to see who he appoints as his special new adviser on getting us laydees to vote for him again.

Well, 2012 is the centenary of the Titanic sinking. Just sayin'. Cameron's lot do seem rather ... reminiscent ... of a certain set that we thought the events of the early 20th century had taken care of. Maybe we can make this happen again? I have some deck chairs I can donate to the cause.

• Tamsin6, in reply to Caleb D'Anvers,

Hmmm - Clarkson permanently locked into a Circle line carriage....I could live with that.

Because that British public transport system that works idea? Never going to happen. No snow so far this year - looks like it will be metal theft that causes the most delays this Christmas. Also, in delays to come - currently rubbing hands in glee after seeing the heat map of travel disruption during the Olympics - and yes! It will be the WHOLE of London that suffers extensive delays. Joy!

• Ian Dalziel,

No Garter, but socks need pulling up...
    Not strictly on topic, but...
    (...but that hasn't stopped me in the past)
    and it does address the power of the press - I note in today's Press that Fairfax have taken it upon themselves to bestow a Knighthood on Stephen Fry!

WOW has been running since 1987.
    This year's award show in Wellington was attended by The Hobbit director Sir Peter Jackson and actors Sir Stephen Fry and Orlando Bloom.

He must be chuffed,
    has he tweeted about it yet?

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Tamsin6,

Cameron shows such a startling lack of judgement in choosing friends and colleagues that I just can't wait to see who he appoints as his special new adviser on getting us laydees to vote for him again.

You're getting a bit het up about this, Tamsin. Calm down dear.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Tamsin6,

Clarkson permanently locked into a Circle line carriage

Piccadilly line is usually worse.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

has he tweeted about it yet?

What would he say? 'The reason women settle for those second-rate damehoods and don't clamour to be addressed as Sir is simply because they don't actually get off on it'?

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• merc, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

They have corrected it already! Spooky.
    ...This year's award show in Wellington was attended by The Hobbit director Sir Peter Jackson and actors Stephen Fry and Orlando Bloom.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Russell Brown,

Charlie Brooker tweets:

The funniest thing about that was his responses to a couple of hilariously unself-aware meatheads who were desperately shouting 'goditsjustajokecantyouallcalmdown' to anyone and everyone.

"I know it was a joke, you spectacular fucking idiot."

"No, tell you what: fuck you twice instead."

Although this is probably the best advice:

"Can everyone get annoyed about something other than Jeremy Clarkson today? I'd rather we waved our fist at wasps, tbh."

• merc,

I'm not the least annoyed at Clarkson, I am suspicious of his enablers.

• Rich Lock, in reply to merc,

I am suspicious of his enablers

Are those the ones that hang out of his shorts when he's on the trike?

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to merc,

please, sir...

They have corrected it already! Spooky.

Damn, so that's why they didn't publish my comment...
    Still, good to know they can react fast
    - and that web-written truth is mutable...
    But it is still in the print editions!
    :- )

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• merc, in reply to Rich Lock,

I don't know ;-) I was thinking of the BBC and how Jez would be a great way of sticking it to the strikers to get a purr from one audience segment, much like Lhaws being used as a useful idiot by his radio broadcaster, not to mention possible political connections (oh I just did).
    Using shock jocks to help skew Tory messaging is not new.
    "If the BBC and I have caused any offence, I'm quite happy to apologise for it alongside them."
    Dead giveaway.
    "Prime Minister David Cameron, a personal friend of Clarkson, had earlier dismissed his comments as "silly".
    "It was obviously a silly thing to say and I am sure he didn't mean that," Cameron said.
    His handler.
    "Clarkson previously caused outrage when he described former prime minister Gordon Brown, who lost his sight in one eye in an accident suffered while playing rugby as a teenager, as a "one-eyed Scottish idiot".
    "In February, the BBC apologised to the Mexican ambassador in London after the Top Gear presenters described Mexicans as "lazy", "feckless" and "flatulent".
    The BBC said Clarkson's latest comments were a misguided attempt at humour."
    His broadcaster.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10770338

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Caleb D'Anvers,

Well, 2012 is the centenary of the Titanic sinking. Just sayin’. Cameron’s lot do seem rather … reminiscent … of a certain set that we thought the events of the early 20th century had taken care of.

Yeah, a maritime disaster that killed over fifteen hundred people – including 84% of the men, more than half the women and two-thirds of the children in third class. (The rescue rate for the “certain set” was significantly higher, at least for the women and children. )

Most of the dead froze in sub-zero water in the dark. – and I wouldn’t wish that on a fucking dog.

Golly, I guess I need to CALM DOWN AND LEARN HOW TO TAKE A JOKE (tm) but that wasn’t only tasteless but your cheap shot missed the intended target by a wide margin. And the irony becomes that little bit more tasty, given the context. If you find Jeremy Clarkson so distasteful, try not to sound like him. M'kay?

• Russell Brown, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Golly, I guess I need to CALM DOWN AND LEARN HOW TO TAKE A JOKE (tm) but that wasn’t only tasteless but your cheap shot missed the intended target by a wide margin.

Really? The line about “rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic” has been part of political commentary since 1976. Caleb was clearly using it in that that context and the idea he was somehow dishonoring the dead is pretty absurd.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.